Broncos Head to San Diego State and UNLV
This is the final road trip of the season for Boise State.
Nov. 20, 2013
Download pdf version of weekly notes
THIS WEEK IN BRONCO VOLLEYBALL
- Boise State (12-15, 6-11 MW) is traveling to San Diego State (13-13, 8-8 MW) and UNLV (15-11, 10-6 MW) for the final two road contests of the season.
- The Broncos will open the week on Thursday night at San Diego State with an 8 p.m. (all times listed are Mountain) start in Aztec Court at Peterson Gym.
- Boise State will close the weekend at UNLV with a 3 p.m. start on Saturday in Cox Pavilion.
- The Broncos enter the week at eighth-place in the league standings, while San Diego State is in sixth and UNLV is tied for fourth.
MW PRESEASON POLL
The Last Meeting
|San Diego State||3
October 26, 2013
Broncos Fall to San Diego State
Boise State volleyball suffered a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of San Diego State in a Mountain West Conference match in Bronco Gym.
The Last Meeting
October 24, 2013
- In relation to the three Mountain West schools involved this weekend the MW coaches predicted San Diego State to win the league, UNLV to place third, with Boise State coming in seventh during the 2013 league race.
LIVE STATS and VIDEO
MATCH 28, San Diego State Match Notes
- Thursday’s San Diego State-Boise State match will be the seventh all-time and sixth in MW play between these two programs, SDSU leads overall series 5-1.
- Last time between the two programs Boise State lost at home 3-0 on Oct. 26.
- SDSU was picked to repeat as MW champions, but enters the week at 13-13 overall and 8-8 in league play.
- Last week San Diego State won at home over UNLV (3-0) then lost on the road 3-2 at Nevada.
- San Diego State is led by Summer Nash with 296 kills to rank fourth in the MW at 3.52 kills per set, she is followed by Raegan Shelton ranked seventh at 3.27 kps.
- On the year San Diego State features the league’s seventh ranked hitting offense at 21.7 percent.
MATCH 29, UNLV Match Notes
- Saturday’s match between UNLV and Boise State will be the 10th in the all-time series with the Broncos leading 5-4 and 3-2 in Mountain West encounters.
- Boise State lost a heartbreaker in the first meeting at Boise in five sets.
- UNLV enters the week tied for fourth-place in the MW standings at 10-6 with a 15-11 overall mark on the year.
- Last week UNLV defeated Nevada in Reno 3-0 in its lone match of the week.
- Sekola Falemaka leads the Rebels on the year at 3.48 kills per set to rank fifth in the MW, followed by Daryn Glenn at 2.59 kps.
- UNLV features the eighth-ranked hitting offense in the conference on the year at 20.7 percent.
BOISE STATE TEAM NOTES
- The Record: Boise State is 11-15 overall and 6-11 in MW play heading into this week’s matches. The Broncos are 6-7 at home and 6-8 on the road in 2013.
- Recent Opponents: The Broncos split a pair of home contests last week losing 3-1 to Fresno State before defeating San Jose State 3-0.
- Bronco Week 12 Leaders: Last week Alyssa Gammel led the Broncos with 27 kills for a 3.86 kps average while hitting 22.7 percent. Taylor Murphey was second with 18 kills and hit 28.2 percent. Freshman Maddy O’Donnell continues her mid-season success down the stretch with 16 kills hitting 28.2 percent and recording eight blocks.
- Offensively as a Team in Week 12: Boise State hit well in the two matches at 26.4 percent with 101 kills, 94 assists and eight service aces.
- Defensively as a Team in Week 12: The Broncos held the two teams (Fresno State and San Jose State) to hit a combined 22.6 percent for 95 kills, while Boise State recorded 92 digs and 19 blocks.
- CAREER TOP-10 RECORD: Setter Casey Rose recorded 31 assists at Nevada on Oct. 17 to move into ninth-place on the Bronco career assists list with 1,704 passing Mindy Bennett (2001-04). The senior now has 1,851 and needs to reach 1,862 to tie for eighth.
- Against 2012 NCAA Tournament: Boise State is currently 1-5 against teams that went to the 2012 NCAA Tournament: lost to No. 5 Washington, lost at Portland State, defeated Belmont, lost twice to nationally-ranked Colorado State and lost to San Diego State in Boise.
- National Rankings: As of Nov. 17, the Broncos are ranked 79th nationally in hitting percentage (23.3 pct.) and 83rd in assists per set (12.52 aps). Brittany Reardon is 36th in hitting percentage at 38.5 percent.
- Mountain West Rankings: As of Nov. 17, Boise State enters the week ranked second in hitting percentage (23.3 pct.) on the year. It is ranked second in service aces (1.24 saps) per set, as well as fourth in kills (13.26 kps) and fourth in assists (12.52 aps). Brittany Reardon (38.5 pct.) is ranked third in the MW for hitting percentage, while Aly Duffin (38.5 pct.) is fourth.