Broncos Travels to San Jose State
Boise State plays only one match this week and it is on the road at SJSU.
Nov. 6, 2015
WEEK SEVEN OF CONFERENCE PLAY
Saturday, Nov. 6
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
At San Jose State; Saturday, Nov. 7
- Boise State (17-7, 9-3 MW) is on the road for one match this week at San Jose State (13-13, 5-8 MW) for a 2 p.m. (Mountain) start on Saturday.
BRONCO NOTABLES Shawn Garus, Head Coach
- The Broncos travel to San Jose State this Saturday for a 2 p.m. (Mountain) start in the Event Center at SJSU.
- The Spartans are coming off a sweep over Utah State on Thursday night and enter the match tied for seventh in the MW standings at 5-8 and 13-13 overall.
- Tyanna Roy leads SJSU in kills with 248 for a 2.53 per set average ... Nandyala Gama follows with 232 kills (2.37 kps) and 83 blocks (0.85 bps).
- As a team San Jose State hits 17.5 percent (9th MW) and averages 12.47 kills per set (5th MW).
- The Broncos lead the series 17-12 and have won 10 straight contests.
- Last time in Boise (Oct. 8) Boise State took the match in three sets.
Team Statistical Rankings
- Garus currently sits at 226-219 overall in his 15-year career as a collegiate head coach.
- Garus is currently 111-99 at Boise State in his seventh season.
- Garus hit the 100 win milestone at Boise State when the Broncos defeated Abilene Christian 3-0 on Sept. 12.
- Garus ranks second in total wins in program history, out of 10 coaches all-time.
- For the first time in program history the Broncos lead the nation in two statistical categories kills and assists per set.
- They average 15.65 kills per set, which would be a school record if season was over ... they finished last year ranked 17th in NCAA at 14.21 kps.
- Boise State dishes out 14.65 assists per set, another potential school record if the season was over ... the Broncos were 15th nationally at the end of 2014 at 13.25.
- Hitting percentage of .274 is second in the MW and 15th nationally ... they finished 2014 ranked 24th nationally at .263, a school record.
Bronco Wins Analysis
- Boise State is ranked No. 50 in the most recent NCAA RPI release.
- That ranks them second in the MW behind Colorado State at No. 36.
- All six of the Broncos’ losses have come to teams ranked in the top-70: Washington No. 10, Colorado State No. 36, Wyoming No. 56, Idaho State No. 48, Northern Arizona No. 53 and Gonzaga No. 66.
- Boise State defeated No. 33 Northwestern.
Boise State Sweeps MW Players of the Week for Nov. 2
- Boise State has won 17 matches this year, nine by 3-0 sweeps ... 9-3 overall in three set contests.
- The Broncos are 4-3 in four-set matches and 4-1 in five-sets.
Nobley Approaches School Kills Record
- For the first time this year the Broncos swept both Mountain West Players of the Year.
- Sierra Nobley earned her third MW Offensive POW of the season following back-to-back doubles-doubles, including a rare 20/20 at Fresno State, giving her 10 on the season ... averaged team-highs kills per match at 19 and per set at 4.75, while hitting 25.2 percent on the week to go with 3.75 digs and 0.5 blocks per set.
- Maddi Osburn earned her first MW Defensive POW after recording 41 digs at Fresno State (Oct. 29) to tie the school record for digs in a set and set a MW record for digs in a conference match, fourth most for all contests … it is a new MW sophomore record for digs in a match overall and in MW match … it is the most in the Mountain West this season and is tied for seventh-most in the NCAA this year (as of Nov. 4 NCAA statistics release).
Broncos Rally From Two Down
- The sophomore outside hitter currently has 409 kills this season as she approaches school record for kills in a season ... she currently sits in eighth place.
- The all-time school record for kills in a season is 438 set by Sharon Leonhardt (1983-86) 30 years ago in 1986.
- Boise State rallied from two sets down on at Fresno State (Oct. 29) to win in five sets.
- It was the second time the match went to five sets this season and the 13th in the last 17 meetings between the Broncos and Bulldogs.
- It was also the first time Boise State has rallied from two down for a win since beating San Jose State on the road in 2009 and it was only the fifth time in the rally scoring era (since 2001).
Osburn Ties School Record and Sets Three MW Marks
- Sierra Nobley recorded her second rare 20/20 double-double at Fresno State (Oct. 29) with 23 kills and 20 digs.
- She has tallied two of the Mountain West’s six 20/20s this year.
- She has 10 double-doubles overall this season, eighth in MW play, which is tied for fourth most in MW.
- Her first 20/20 was against Portland State (Sept. 11) with 26 kills and 20 digs ... note the 20 digs in both double-doubles are a career-high.
- She has an active three-match streak with double-doubles.
Baugh Leads MW in Double-Doubles
- Maddi Osburn tied the Boise State all-time record for digs in a set with 41 at Fresno State (Oct. 29) ... record was originally set by Jackie Stroud at Fresno State on Nov. 11, 2006.
- The 41 digs also set the Mountain West record for digs in a set during conference competition.
- It is a new MW sophomore record for digs in a match overall and in MW match.
- Forty-one is the highest total in the league this year and tied for seventh-highest in the NCAA this year (as of Oct. 29 stats)
Baugh Reaches 1,000 Assists
- Sarah Baugh recorded her MW-leading 13th double-double of the year at UNLV (Oct. 31).
- It was her eight in league play.
- She has 21 double-doubles in her career, fourth most among active players in the conference.
- She has an active three-match streak with double-doubles.
Hubbard Joins the 1,000 Digs Club
- For the second-consecutive year Sarah Baugh has reached the 1,000 assists milestone in a season recording 88 last week giving her 1,081 on the year.
- Total ranks 12th all-time at Boise State.
- She had 1,209 last year which is sixth all-time and second-most in rally scoring era.
Baugh Moving Up Career List
- Boise State junior Hannah Hubbard has joined the 1,000 career digs club at Boise State.
- She is the 13th Bronco ever to reach the milestone and the fifth during the rally scoring era (RSE).
- The native of San Diego, Calif., recorded five digs at Fresno State (Oct. 29) to put her over the top with 1,003.
- She tallied a combined 12 digs last week at Fresno State and UNLV and currently stands at 1,010 career assists, tied for 12th all-time.
Osburn Moving Up on Season Digs List
- Sarah Baugh is closing in on fourth place on the Boise State career assists list with 3,506 ... she needs 78 to tie Mandy Klein (2005-08) for fourth place with 3,584.
- If she passes Mandy Klein that would place her first during the rally scoring era.
- Third place all-time is likely out of her reach at 3,944.
Bronco are Undefeated Win
- Osburn’s 418 digs this season currently ranks ninth all-time in program history and seventh in the rally scoring era.
- She needs three to move into eight and 17 to move into fifth.
Sarah Baugh in the Rankings
- Boise State is 13-0 when holding opponents below 20 percent hitting.
Sierra Nobley in the Rankings
- On the year, senior setter Sarah Baugh leads the MW and is second nationally in assists per set at 12.15.
- She also leads the MW and is ranked 12th in NCAA for total assists at 1,081.
Kaitlyn Oliver in the Rankings
- Has led the Broncos in kills during 19 of 24 matches this season.
- Leads MW and is ranked ninth nationally for kills per set at 4.65.
- Nobley leads the MW and is 13th in NCAA for points per set at 5.16.
- Leads MW and ranked 15th nationally in total kills with 409.
Maddy O’Donnell in the Rankings
- Oliver ranks second in MW and 16th nationally in hitting percentage at .414.
Maddi Osburn in the Rankings
- O’Donnell is fourth in the MW and 81st nationally in hitting percentage at .352.
- Osburn is second in the MW and 61st nationally in digs per set at 4.7.
- She is third in the MW and 76th nationally in total digs at 418.