Broncos Head to New Mexico and Air Force
Alyssa Gammel and Sarah Horton will lead the Broncos into two key MW matches.
Nov. 5, 2013
Download complete PDF version
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Thursday, Nov. 7 at New Mexico (7 p.m.) Live Stats Live Video
Saturday, Nov. 9 at Air Force (6 p.m.) Live Stats Live Video
THIS WEEK IN BRONCO VOLLEYBALL
- Boise State (11-12, 5-8 MW) is on the road for two Mountain West Conference matches this week against New Mexico (18-5, 8-4 MW) and Air Force (5-18, 2-9 MW).
- The Broncos will open the week on Thursday night at 7 p.m. (all times listed are Mountain) in Albuquerque, N.M., against the third-place (tied) New Mexico Lobos in the Johnson Center Gymnasium.
- Boise State will close the road trip on Saturday when the Broncos take on the Air Force Falcons at 6 p.m. in Falcon Court at East Gym.
- The Broncos enter the week in seventh-place in the league standings, while New Mexico is in a three-way tie for third, with Air Force sitting in 10th.
MW PRESEASON POLL
- In relation to the three Mountain West schools involved this weekend the MW coaches predicted New Mexico to place fifth, Boise State seventh and Air Force 10th during the 2013 league race.
MATCH 24, New Mexico Match Notes
- Thursday’s match at New Mexico will be the seventh all-time and sixth in MW play in the series, the Lobos lead the series 5-1 overall.
- This is the second meeting of the season, the Lobos defeated the Broncos 3-1 in Boise on Oct. 5 of this year.
- New Mexico enters the week 18-5 overall and 8-4 in league play, good for third-place (three-way tie).
- Last week the Lobos split on the road defeating UNLV 3-1, followed by a 3-0 loss at San Diego State
- Chantele Riddle leads the MW in kills per set at 4.0 (344 total), followed by Julia Warren at 2.47 kps (210 total).
- UNM returned five starters plus the libero and seven letterwinners from 2012.
MATCH 25, Air Force Match Notes
- Saturday’s Air Force-Boise State encounter will be the eighth all-time and sixth in MW play between these two programs, the Broncos are 7-0 versus the Falcons all-time.
- The Falcons will host Utah State on Thursday prior to their encounter with the Broncos.
- In the first meeting of the year on Oct. 20 Boise State defeated Air Force 3-0 in Boise.
- Air Force enters the week at 5-18 overall, 2-9 in league play which is good for 10th-place, the Falcons are 3-5 at home this year.
- Last week Air Force lost two on the road, 3-0 at San Diego State and 3-1 at UNLV.
- The Falcons are led by Akokwe Clement with 242 kills (2.85 kps) and Maggie Sherrill with 223 (2.56 kps).
- The Falcons returned six starters and 13 letterwinners from 2012.
BOISE STATE TEAM NOTES
- The Record: Boise State is 10-11 overall and 4-7 in MW play heading into this week’s matches. The Broncos are 4-5 at home and 6-6 on the road in 2013.
- Recent Opponents: The Broncos split a pair of home matches last week losing 3-0 to No. 9 Colorado State, then regrouping to down Wyoming in straight sets 3-0.
- Bronco Week 10 Leaders: Last week Alyssa Gammel led the Broncos with 25 kills (4.17 kps). 16 digs and three blocks. Sarah Horton was next with 13 kills (2.17 kps), Maddy O’Donnell added 12 kills and team-high nine blocks, while Katelyn Kinghorn had 10 kills .
- Offensively as a Team in Week 10: Boise State struggled hitting at 16.6 percent for 84 kills, the Broncos added eight service aces as well.
- Defensively as a Team in Week 10: The Broncos held the opponents to a combined 28.5 percent hitting and recorded 14 blocks with 80 digs.
- CAREER TOP-10 RECORD: Setter Casey Rose recorded 31 assists at Nevada on Oct. 17 to move into ninth-place on the Bronco career assists list with 1,704 passing Mindy Bennett (2001-04). The senior now has 1,770 and needs to reach 1,862 to tie for eighth.
- Against 2012 NCAA Tournament: Boise State is currently 1-5 against teams that went to the 2012 NCAA Tournament: lost to No. 5 Washington, lost at Portland State, defeated Belmont, lost twice to nationally-ranked Colorado State and lost to San Diego State in Boise.
- National Rankings: As of Nov. 3, the Broncos are ranked 83rd nationally in hitting percentage (23.3 pct.) and 86th in assists per set (12.47 aps). Brittany Reardon is 40th in hitting percentage at 37.7 percent.
- Mountain West Rankings: As of Nov. 3, Boise State enters the week ranked third in hitting percentage (23.3 pct.) on the year. It is ranked second in service aces (1.28 saps) per set, as well as fourth in assists (12.47 aps) and sixth in kills (13.18 kps). Aly Duffin (40.7 pct.) leads in hitting percentage, while Brittany Reardon (37.7 pct.) is fourth.
- The Head Coach: Shawn Garus is in his fifth season in charge of the Broncos where he is 73-76 to go with a career record 188-196.