Boise State Faces San Jose State and Nevada
Broncos begin final stretch with five of six matches on the road.
Nov. 4, 2014
Coach Shawn Garus recaps the teams performance last weekend against New Mexico and Air Force, and talks about what the team needs to do in their last six games of the season.
This Week's Schedule and Quick Links
Boise State's Schedule
- Thursday (Nov. 6) at 7:00 p.m. (MT) - Boise State at San Jose State (Events Center)
Live Stats | Live Video
- Saturday (Nov. 8) at 3:00 p.m. (MT) - Boise State at Nevada (Virginia Street Gym)
Live Stats | Live Video
Social Media Links
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State (13-11, 6-6 MW) begins the final stretch of the season in which the Broncos are on the road for five of their last six matches.
- It begins with a pair of road matches this week at San Jose State (4-20, 1-10 MW) on Thursday and at Nevada (7-14, 4-7 MW) Saturday afternoon
- The lone home contest will be San Diego State on Nov. 19.
- Boise State enters the week coming off a split at home last week falling in four to New Mexico (25-21, 24-26, 25-23, 25-12), the Broncos then regrouped to sweep Air Force (25-18, 25-14, 25-23).
- The Broncos are tied for sixth-place in the league standings with Utah State.
Thursday ● at San Jose State Spartans
- Boise State opens the week in California at San Jose State at 8 p.m. (Mountain) in the Event Center on the SJSU campus.
- The Spartans lead the all-time series versus Boise State 16-11, however, the Broncos have won eight straight.
- The Broncos defeated SJSU earlier this season in four sets (25-14, 25-16, 24-26, 25-16) on Oct. 11 at Boise.
- San Jose State enters the week at 4-20 overall and 1-10 in MW ... the Spartans snapped a 10-match skid last time out when they downed Fresno State in four sets at San Jose on Thursday, Oct. 30.
- Tyanna Roy leads SJSU with 276 kills for a per set average of 3.21to rank fifth in the MW ... Nandyala Gama follows at 3.05 kps to rank 10th in MW.
- The Spartans were picked by the 11 coaches in the conference to place 10th in the 2014 league race.
Saturday ● Nevada Wolf Pack
- The week will conclude with the Broncos traveling to Reno, Nev., to face the Wolf Pack at 3 p.m. (MT) on Saturday in the Virginia Street Gym.
- Boise State is looking to tie the all-time series up trailing the Wolf Pack by one, 26-25 ... the Broncos have won six straight in the series.
- Boise State defeated Nevada in Boise 25-22, 25-16, 25-21 on Oct. 9.
- Nevada will host Utah State on Thursday before entertaining the Broncos Saturday.
- The Nevada Wolf Pack are coming into the week off a sweep last week over San Jose State (3-0) on the road and Fresno State (3-1) in Reno.
- Nevada is 7-14 overall, 4-7 in MW play and 3-3 at home.
- Tessa Lea'ea leads Nevada with 223 kills and a 3.01 kill per set average to rank 11th in the MW ... Sam Willoughby has a team-high hitting percentage of .288 (MW 14th).
- The Wolf Pack were picked by the MW coaches to place 11th in this year's league race.
- Head Coach: Shawn Garus currently sits at 204-211 overall, 89-91 at Boise State ... he picked up his 200th career win as a collegiate head coach when the Broncos defeated Nevada (Oct. 9).
- Good Starts: Boise State is 12-2 when winning the first set and 1-9 when losing it ... the Broncos are 11-0 when winning the first two sets ... The win over Utah State (Oct. 14) was the first time the Broncos lost set one and won the match.
- Career Milestone Reached: Baugh became the eighth Bronco all-time to reach the 2,000 career assists milestone when she dished out 30 at Colorado State on Oct. 23 giving her 2,026 ... she currently has 2,162 to rank seventh all-time in career assists and third during the rally scoring era (RSE).
- Moving Up Season Records List: Baugh has accumulated a team-high 946 assists this season, which ranks 14th all-time and fifth during RSE ... she just passed up assistant coach Breann (Nesselhuf) Crowell who finished with 944 in 2009.
- Freshman Leader: Sierra Nobley has led (or tied for the lead) the team in kills during 16 of 24 matches this year ... she also leads team in kills with 325, which ranks eighth during the rally scoring era ... she is second for a freshman during the RSE, trailing only Cameron Flunder who had 354 her first season in 2003.
- Last Week's Leader: Sierra Nobley led the team last week with 34 kills (4.86 kps) while hitting 31.1 percent ... Maddy O'Donnell was next with 22 kills, hitting 45.2 percent with team-high 12 blocks.
- Youth Movement: Boise State has been led primarily by its underclassmen this season. The top three in kills are freshman Sierra Nobley at 3.87 kills per set, sophomore Maddy O'Donnell at 2.80 kps and redshirt-freshman Kaitlyn Oliver at 2.28 kps.
- Record Setting Pace: Boise State is currently hitting 26.8 percent as a team which would set the all-time program record for a single season, the current record is 24.9 percent set in 1981.
- National Team Rankings: Boise State is ranked in the top 50 nationally in three different categories: hitting percentage at No. 18 (.268 pct), 25th for kills per set (14.07) and 30th in assists per set (13.05).
- MW Team Rankings: On the year, the Broncos are third for hitting percentage (.268), second in kills per set (14.07) and second in assists per set (13.05).
- Sarah Baugh: Assists per set 11.13 (MW 2nd, NCAA 25th), total assists 946 (MW 3rd, NCAA 65th).
- Hannah Hubbard: Digs per set 3.65 (MW 6th).
- Sierra Nobley: Kills per set 3.87 (MW 1st, NCAA 64th), total kills 325 (MW 4th, NCAA 98th), service aces per set 0.26 (MW 8th), points per set 4.38 (MW 2nd, NCAA 69th).
- Maddy O'Donnell: Hitting percentage of .393 (MW 3rd, NCAA 24th), kills per set 2.8 (MW 14th), service aces per set 0.33 (MW 3rd, NCAA 115th), blocks per set 1.15 (MW 11th, NCAA 108th).
- Kaitlyn Oliver: Hitting percentage .380 (MW 4th, NCAA 40th) ... is hitting 38.3 percent in MW play to lead the conference.
The Last Meeting
|San Jose State||1
October 11, 2014
The Last Meeting
October 9, 2014