Nov. 2, 2016
THIS WEEK FOR BRONCO VOLLEYBALL
Boise State Notes | Stats | 2016 Almanac | Roster | Twitter | Facebook
The Last Meeting
October 8, 2016
Thursday, Nov. 3
- Boise State (19-6, 10-2 MW) at Utah State (10-13, 5-7 MW)
- Logan, Utah (Wayne Estes Center)
- 7 p.m. (Mountain)
- Live Stats on GameTracker
- Watch Live on Mountain West Network
Boise State (19-6, 10-2 MW) continues Mountain West action this week with a lone match on the road at Utah State (10-13, 5-7 MW) Thursday night before taking the weekend off. Boise State has won eight straight entering the encounter with the Aggies and is tied for first place with UNLV in the Mountain West standings at 10-2. The Broncos are shooting for their second-consecutive 20-win season when they face USU. Utah State is coming off a pair of road defeats at Colorado State (3-0) and Wyoming (3-1), the Aggies are currently in seventh place at 5-7. The preseason Mountain West poll picked Boise State to finish second and Utah State ninth out of the 11 teams.
The first match-up in Boise on Oct. 8 was won by the Broncos as they swept USU 27-25, 27-25, 25-23, but it was a battle with all three sets decided by the minimum two points. Sierra Nobley led Boise State with a team-high 20 kills, nine digs and four blocks, while Kaylie Kamalu-Smith led the Aggies with 12 kills, six digs and three blocks.
BRONCO STORY LINES
- Boise State brings a 19-6 overall record and 10-2 league mark into the week, tied for first in the league.
- Can Boise State keep its eight-match win streak going.
- Boise State is looking for its second-consecutive 20-win season and 11th in program history ... this would be the first back-to-back 20-win seasons since a five year stretch from 1986 to 1990.
- The first seven of the Broncos current win streak set a new school record for consecutive wins by sweeps, the streak ended at San Diego State with a 3-1 Boise State victory.
- Broncos are ranked 32nd in the latest NCAA RPI ranking of the fall ... and 31st in the Rich Kerns RPI.
- Boise State is hitting 24.7 percent (3rd MW/60th NCAA) as a team and holding opponents to 18.5 percent (4th MW) ... the Broncos are averaging 14.47 kills (1st MW/7th NCAA) and 2.51 blocks (4th MW/40th NCAA) per set.
- Nobley leads the MW in double-doubles this year recording 13 in 25 matches, she is third among active players in the MW with 30 in her career.
- Nobley has moved into second place on the Boise State career kills list with 1,344 ... first place (1,510) is most likely out of reach this year.
- Nobley has moved into fourth on the Boise State career points list with 1,501.0 ... she needs 62 to move into a tie for third at 1,563.0.
- The Mountain West Preseason Player of the Year leads the league on the year and in conference play in kills per set at 4.53 and 4.80, respectively ... on the year she is ranked 14th nationally.
- She leads the MW and is ranked 16th nationally for points per set at 5.09 ... she leads conference in MW play at 5.39.
- Has been named MW Offensive Player of the Week twice this season and a school record seven times in her career.
- Maddy O’Donnell moved into a tie for eighth place for career blocks in the win over San Diego State (Oct. 29) with four to give her 361, she now needs seven to tie for seventh (368).
- Maddy O’Donnell is second on team and eighth in MW for scoring with 319.5 points (234 kills, 22 service aces, 12 block solos and 103 block assists) ... 10th in MW for points per set at 3.63.
- O’Donnell leads the MW during league play for blocks per set at 1.54 with a conference-high 63 total blocks ... on the year she is fourth in the MW and 37th in NCAA at 1.31 per set ... she leads the MW and is 34th nationally for total blocks at 115.
- O’Donnell is seventh in the MW on the year and 91st nationally in hitting percentage at .348.
- Was named MW Offensive Player of the Week once this season (Oct. 17).
- Defensively, Maddi Osburn leads the MW and is 32nd nationally in digs per set at 5.01 ... she has a league high 441 total digs which ranks 53rd in the NCAA.
- Her 441 digs this year ranks sixth in school history ... she needs five to move into fifth (446) and 31 to move into fourth (472).
- Osburn is in 11th on the Bronco all-time career digs list with 1,114, 56 short of 10th (1,160).
- Has been named MW Defensive Player of the Week four times this season an five times in career.
- Oliver is the current school career hitting percentage record holder at .370 (714-162-1490) ... she is hitting .348 this season to rank sixth in MW and 89th in NCAA.
- Oliver has 257 career blocks to rank 18th in program history, 19 short of 17th (276).
- Second on team in total kills with 237 ... 13 matches in double-figure kills.
- Third on team in total points with 261.5.
- The freshman has 131 kills to rank fifth on team.
- 11 matches with seven or more kills with a season-high of 10 at San Jose State (Oct. 13).
- Second on team in total services aces with 22 ... ranked 11th in MW for aces per set at 0.27.
- Bulda ranks second in MW and eighth nationally for assists per set at 11.59.
- She has 765 assists this year which is sixth in MW, 104th in NCAA.
- Bulda ranks 17th in program history for career assists with 783.
- Leads team in service aces with 29, sixth in MW and 120th nationally.
- Ranked second in MW and 36th nationally in service aces per set at 0.41.
QUICK LOOK AT UTAH STATE
- USU is 10-13 overall and 5-7 in league ... the Aggies are coming off a pair of road defeats at Wyoming (3-1) and at Colorado State (3-0).
- The Aggies return all six starters plus the libero and 11 letterwinners from last year’s squad that went 6-26 overall and 2-16 in conference, 11th place.
- Lauren Anderson leads the Aggies at 3.42 kills per set (6th MW), followed by Kaylie Kamalu-Smith who is also at 3.42 kills per set (7th MW).
- As a team Utah State hits 22.7 percent (5th MW) and holds opponents to 22.7 percent (10th MW), the Aggies average 12.81 kills per set (6th MW).