Boise State Host New Mexico and Air Force
Broncos looking to extend four-match home win streak.
Oct. 28, 2014
Head coach Shawn Garus and sophomore Maddy O’Donnell recap the Broncos weekend at Colorado State and Wyoming, and look ahead to this weekend when they will host New Mexico and Air Force.
This Week's Schedule and Quick Links
Boise State's Schedule
- Thursday (Oct. 30) at 7:00 p.m. (MT) - New Mexico at Boise State (Bronco Gym)
Live Stats | Live Video
- Saturday (Nov. 1) at 2:00 p.m. (MT) - Air Force at Boise State (Bronco Gym)
Live Stats | Live Video
Social Media Links
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State (12-10, 5-5 MW) hosts two Mountain West matches this week versus New Mexico (14-9, 6-4 MW) at 7 p.m. on Thursday and Air Force (11-3, 5-5 MW) at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
- After this week the Broncos will close the season with five of its last six matches on the road. The lone home contest will be San Diego State on Nov. 19.
- Boise State enters the week coming off a pair of road defeats last week at No. 6 Colorado State (3-0) and at Wyoming (3-2).
- The Broncos are tied for sixth-place in the league standings with Air Force and Utah State.
Thursday ● 7 p.m. ● New Mexico Lobos
- PARKING: For Thursday's contest parking is available in the stadium parking lots free of charge.
- PROMOTIONS: Halloween Match, kids 12 and under wearing a costume receive free admission to the match, as well as free candy ... Student Costume Contest, one student in the best costume will win a Boise State hoodie.
- Boise State opens the week against the New Mexico Lobos who defeated the Broncos 3-0 earlier this year in Albuquerque.
- The Lobos lead the all-time series versus Boise State 7-1.
- New Mexico enters the week at 14-9 overall and 6-4 in MW ... UNM has won three straight over New Mexico State (3-0) and league rivals Nevada (3-1) and San Jose State (3-1), all at home.
- On the year New Mexico is hitting 20 percent as a team to rank sixth in MW ... the Lobos lead the league and are fifth in the NCAA for defensive hitting percentage holding opponents to 13 percent ... they are also second in the league and fourth nationally for blocks at 3.13 bps.
- Chantale Riddle leads UNM and is second in the MW for kills per set at 3.7, she is third in MW for blocks at 1.4 bps ... Cassie House is second in kills per set at 2.31.
- The Lobos were picked by the 11 coaches in the conference to place second in the 2014 league race.
Saturday ● 2 p.m. ● Air Force Falcons
- PARKING: With the District III High School Marching Band Championship going on at the stadium on Saturday, parking for volleyball will be in the Liberal Arts/Library parking lots, as well as the Lincoln Parking Garage.
- PROMOTIONS: All kids 12 and under get in free with the purchase of an adult ticket ... T-Shirt Giveaway, 100 t-shirts will be given to the first 100 fans.
- The weekend will conclude on Saturday when the Air Force Falcons come to town for a 2 p.m. encounter in Bronco Gym.
- Air Force will play at Utah State on Thursday before traveling to Boise.
- The Falcons defeated the Broncos in four sets earlier this year in Colorado, but Boise State leads the all-time series 7-2.
- Air Force is 11-13 overall and 5-5 in league, tied with Boise State entering the week.
- USAFA snapped a five-match losing streak last week by sweeping two at home over San Jose State (3-1) and Nevada (3-1).
- Akokwe Clement leads the Falcons at 3.32 kills per set (309 total), fourth in MW ... Raquel Rosas is hitting a team-high 31 percent to rank 10th in MW.
- As a team, Air Force is fifth in MW for hitting percentage at .245, third in assists at 12.87 and fourth in kills at 13.59 kps.
- The Falcons were picked by the MW coaches to place ninth in this year's league race.
- Head Coach: Shawn Garus picked up his 200th career win as a collegiate head coach when the Broncos defeated Nevada (Oct. 9) in straight sets ... he currently sits at 203-210 overall, 88-90 at Boise State.
- Record: The Broncos enter the week at 12-10 overall and 5-5 in MW play, tied for sixth with Air Force and Utah State.
- Win Streak: Boise State has won four straight matches at home.
- Good Starts: Boise State is 11-2 when winning the first set and 1-8 when losing it ... the Broncos are 10-0 when winning the first two sets ... The win over Utah State (Oct. 14) was the first time the Broncos lost set one and won the match.
- Career Milestone Reached: Baugh became the eighth Bronco all-time to reach the 2,000 career assists milestone when she dished out 30 at Colorado State on Oct. 23 giving her 2,026.
- Moving Up Season Records List: Baugh has accumulated a team-high 866 assists this season, which ranks sixth during rally scoring era.
- Freshman Leader: Sierra Nobley leads team in kills with 291 ... has led the team in kills during 14 of 22 matches this year
- Last Week's Leader: Senior Taylor Murphey led the Broncos last week with 27 kills for a 3.38 kps, she also hit 31.6 percent.
- National Team Rankings: Boise State is ranked in the top 50 nationally in three different categories: hitting percentage at No. 19 (.270 pct), 25th for kills per set (14.04) and 30th in assists per set (12.97).
- MW Team Rankings: On the year, the Broncos are third for hitting percentage (.270), second in kills per set (14.04) and second in assists per set (12.97).
- Sarah Baugh: Assists per set 11.1 (MW 2nd, NCAA 25th), total assists (MW 3rd, NCAA 72nd).
- Hannah Hubbard: Digs per set 3.76 (MW 6th).
- Sierra Nobley: Kills per set 3.78 (MW 1st, NCAA 69th), total kills 291 (MW 4th, NCAA 117th), service aces per set 0.27 (MW 6th), points per set 4.28 (MW 2nd, NCAA 76th).
- Maddy O'Donnell: Hitting percentage of .386 (MW 4th, NCAA 35th), kills per set 2.76 (MW 14th), service aces per set 0.31 (MW 4th), blocks per set 1.09 (MW 10th).
- Kaitlyn Oliver: Hitting percentage .395 (MW 3rd, NCAA 29th).
The Last Meeting
October 4, 2014
The Last Meeting
October 2, 2014
Colorado Springs, Colo.