Boise State on the Road
Broncos will play at Fresno State and UNLV this week.
Oct. 27, 2015
WEEK SIX OF CONFERENCE PLAY
Thursday, Oct. 29
Saturday, Oct. 31
TIME CHANGE FOR UNLV MATCH
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State’s match this Saturday (Oct. 31) at UNLV has had a time change from a 2 p.m. (all times are Mountain) to a 6 p.m. start.
- This was done to avoid a conflict with the Boise State at UNLV football game scheduled for 1:30 p.m.
At Fresno State; Thursday, Oct. 29
- Boise State (15-7, 7-3 MW) hits the road for a pair of league contests at Fresno State (12-11, 4-5 MW) on Thursday night, followed by a Halloween encounter at UNLV (12-9, 5-4 MW) on Saturday.
At UNLV; Saturday, Oct. 31
- The Broncos travel to Fresno State first for a 8 p.m. start versus the Bulldogs on Thursday in the Save Mart Center.
- The Bulldogs enter the week tied for sixth in the MW standings at 4-5 and 12-11 overall.
- Carly Scarbrough leds Fresno State with 252 kills (2.9 kps) and 65 blocks ... Zana Bowens has 247 kills to rank 10th in MW for kills per set at 2.98 kps.
- As a team Fresno State hits 20.1 percent (7th MW) and averages 13.68 kills per set (3rd MW).
- The Bulldogs lead the series 20-11 ... Broncos have won three straight contests.
- Last time in Boise (Oct. 3) the Broncos took the match in five sets 25-20, 26-28, 8-25, 31-29, 15-9.
BRONCO NOTABLES Shawn Garus, Head Coach
- The week wraps up on Halloween this Saturday with a 6 p.m. encounter with the UNLV Rebels in Cox Pavilion.
- UNLV enters the week tied for fourth in the league standings at 5-4 and 12-9 overall ... the Rebels are undefeated 9-0 at home this season.
- Bree Hammel leads UNLV hitting 33.5 percent (9th MW) while averaging 2.94 kills per set (10th MW) ... Ceannia Kincade adds 2.33 kills per set and 66 blocks on the season.
- As a team UNLV is hitting 21.7 percent (4th MW) and averaging 12.25 kills per set (9th MW).
- Boise State leads the series at 8-4 and has won the last three encounters.
- In the first meeting of the year in Boise (Oct. 1) the Broncos rallied from one set down to beat the Rebels in four.
Team Statistical Rankings
- Garus currently sits at 224-219 overall in his 15-year career as a collegiate head coach.
- Garus is currently 109-99 at Boise State in his seventh season.
- Garus hit the 100 win milestone at Boise State when the Broncos defeated Abilene Christian 3-0 on Sept. 12.
- Garus ranks second in total wins in program history.
- For the first time in program history the Broncos lead the nation in two statistical categories kills and assists per set.
- They average 15.69 kills per set, which would be a school record if season was over ... they finished last year ranked 17th in NCAA at 14.21 kps.
- Boise State dishes out 14.74 assists per set, another potential school record if the season was over ... the Broncos were 15th nationally at the end of 2014 at 13.25.
- Hitting percentage of .274 is second in the MW and 18th nationally ... they finished 2014 ranked 24th nationally at .263, a school record.
Bronco Wins Analysis
- Boise State is ranked No. 52 in the most recent NCAA RPI release.
- That ranks them second in the MW behind Colorado State at No. 36.
- All six of the Broncos’ losses have come to teams ranked in the top-70: Washington No. 14, Colorado State No. 36, Wyoming No. 53, Idaho State No. 51, Northern Arizona No. 57 and Gonzaga No. 67.
- Boise State defeated No. 33 Northwestern.
Bronco are Undefeated Win
- Boise State has won 15 matches this year, eight by 3-0 sweeps ... 8-3 overall.
- The Broncos are 4-3 in four-set matches and 3-1 in five-sets.
Sarah Baugh, Setter
- Boise State is 12-0 when holding opponents below 20 percent hitting.
Sierra Nobley, Outside Hitter
- On the year, senior setter Sarah Baugh leads the MW and is second nationally in assists per set at 12.26.
- She also leads the MW and is ranked 12th in NCAA for total assists at 993.
- Recorded her league-leading (tied) 11th double-double of the year against Wyoming (Oct. 24) with 51 assists and 12 digs.
- Her 19 career double-doubles ranks second in the MW among active players in 2015.
- Last week’s MW Offensive Player of the Week (Oct. 19) leading the Broncos to victories at Nevada (3-1) and San Diego State (3-2) ... 53 assists per match and 11.78 per set as the team hit 34.2 percent.
Kaitlyn Oliver, Middle Blocker
- Has led the Broncos in kills during 17 of 22 matches this season.
- Leads MW and is ranked 10th nationally for kills per set at 4.64.
- Nobley leads the MW and is 11th in NCAA for points per set at 5.17.
- Leads MW and ranked 19th nationally in total kills with 371.
- Has been named the MW offensive Player of the Week twice in 2015 on Sept. 21 and Oct. 12.
- Has eight double-doubles on the year, six in conference play ... last came against Wyoming (Oct. 24) on 24 kills and 11 digs.
- Oliver ranks second in MW and 16th nationally in hitting percentage at .414.
- Has been named the MW offensive Player of the Week twice in 2015 on Sept. 7 and Oct. 5.
- Second on team in kills with 214 (2.64 kps).