► What's Happening - The Boise State volleyball team plays only one match this weekend, heading to Honolulu, Hawai'i to take on No. 5 Hawai'i on Friday (Oct. 29). The match is slated for an 11 p.m. (Mountain) start at the Stan Sheriff Center.
► Internet Coverage - Live stats will be available for the match at: http://www.sidearmstats.com/hawaii/wvball/index.htm.
► A Look at Boise State:
● Weekly Recap: The Broncos come off of a tough 0-3 week after dropping 3-1 to Utah Valley, 3-0 to #4 Hawai'i and falling 3-2 to Fresno State.
● About the Broncos: Boise State holds a 17-9 record on the season, including a 4-6 WAC record. Currently Alisha Young leads the team with 328 kills this season, as well as total points (415.5) while Sadie Maughan leads in blocks (110). Breann Nesselhuf leads the team in assists (1,093), while Amanda Remy leads in aces (27) and leads the backcourt with 337 digs this season.
● In the Rankings: The Boise State volleyball team has two top-50 national rankings to boast. The team overall ranks No. 50 in the nation in blocks per set (2.42), while Breann Nesselhuf is the only remaining Bronco in the national ranks, sitting at No. 28 in assists per set (10.95).
● Milestone Watch: Seniors Lauren Hamm, Sadie Maughan and Alisha Young all near milestone marks in their careers. Hamm is only on ace off of the 100 career aces mark, while Maughan sits one block away from 400 career total blocks. Young has tallied 969 kills in her career, pushing the 1,000 career kills mark in the next few matches.
● Record Watch: A handful of Broncos are making their mark in the Boise State record books this season with Sadie Maughan, Alisha Young, Elizabeth Griffin, Breann Nesselhuf and Lauren Hamm all inside the school's top-10 lists. Young jumped to the No. 2 spot in all-time career points this week (1,162.5) surpassing Sadie Maughan who sits at No. 4 (1,143.0) and bumping Jeanette Jenkins who now holds the No. 3 spot (1,161.5). Elizabeth Griffin holds steady at No. 10 on the career points list with 509.0 points. Young also holds the No. 5 spot in the season points chart (415.5) while Maughan joined the top-10 season points list at No. 10 (326) this week. Young also joins the most points in a match chart, tying for No. 9 with 25.0 match points.
Earlier this season, Maughan set a school record for hitting percentage in a match (Sept. 18) against Davidson, earning a .867 hitting percentage. Maughan and Griffin each have had top-10 hitting percentages in a match this season, tying for the No. 8 spot with .692 hitting percentages each. Maughan recorded hers against Long Island (Aug. 28) while Griffin set hers against Weber State (Sept. 8).
Maughan also sits among the top-10 in total career-blocks, sitting to No. 6 with 399. (No. 5 is held by Kelly Chapman, 404 blocks, 1983-86). Maughan tied for No. 4 in all-time assisted blocks in a match against Idaho (Sept. 29) with 10.
Breann Nesselhuf sits at No. 7 in career assists with 2,037 (No. 6 is Chera Sommer, 2,080 assists, 1999-2002), while also entering the top-10 for assists in a season at No. 9 (1,093) (No. 8 is Mandy Klein, 2006, 1,102). Lauren Hamm sits tight at No. 5 on the career digs list with 1,190 digs (No. 4 is Brandy Mamizuka, 1,265 digs, 1995-98).
Young is nearing the career-kills list with 969 total, chasing down the No. 10 spot held by Debbie Hansmann (1,022 career kills). She already is tied for No. 4 on the top-10 kills in a match this season, hitting 29 kills against Portland State (Sept. 4).
● Boise State Head Coach: Shawn Garus is in the midst of his second season at Boise State and currently holds a 142-152 record over his career, as well as a 25-31 record at Boise State.
► Match 27 Preview - at #5 Hawai'i:
● The Series: Boise State and Hawai'i will play in their 23rd all-time match on Friday (Oct. 29) with Hawai'i remaining undefeated by the Broncos 22-0 all-time. The two teams faced off this past week (Oct. 23) with Hawai'i winning 3-0 in Bronco Gym. In 2009, the Rainbow Wahine swept the Broncos both in Boise and Honolulu, 3-0.
● About the Rainbow Wahine: Hawaii enters the week with a 19-1 record, as well as a perfect 9-0 WAC record. Hawai'i comes off of a 3-0 week with sweeps over Idaho, Boise State and Utah State. Currently the team is led by Kanani Danielson in kills (309), Brittany Hewitt in blocks (121), Elizabeth Ka'aihue in digs (314) and aces (19), as well as, Dani Mafua in assists (739).
● In the Rankings: Hawaii has a handful of national top-50 rankings this week. As a team they rank No. 2 in the nation in win-loss percentage (0.947), No. 11 in blocks per set (2.78), No. 18 in kills per set (14.20), No. 20 in hitting percentage (0.274) and No. 21 in assists per set (13.23). Individually, Brittany Hewitt leads the nation in blocks per set (1.71), while also ranking No. 37 in hitting percentage (0.375). Kanani Danielson sits at No. 11 in kills per set (4.57) and No. 13 in points per set (5.13). Dani Mafua rounds out the individual rankings for the Rainbow Wahine, sitting at No. 333 in the nation in assists per set (10.80).
● Close Ties: Hawai'i's sophomore, middle blocker Brittany Hewitt hails from Eagle, Idaho (Eagle HS) and will return to a hometown crowd in Boise. Hawai'i's freshman, outside hitter Kaela Goodman and Boise State's sophomore, outside hitter Liz Harden both reign from Lake Forest, Calif., although each went to separate high schools.
● Hawai'i Head Coach: Dave Shoji has totaled a 1035-177-1 record over his 36 years at Hawai'i, including the team's 19-1 record in 2010.
► Match Club - Boise State volleyball has created a new way for fans to support the Bronco volleyball program. Check out the "Match Club" button on the volleyball page of the www.broncosports.com website for more details.
► All-Tournament Team Members - Alisha Young and Sadie Maughan were named to the 2010 Falcon Invitational All-Tournament Team, while Young and Breann Nesselhuf were been named to the 2010 Northwest Challenge All-Tournament Team. In the Uni/Wyo Cowgirl Classic, Young was joined by Liz Harden and Kersti Whitney on the all-tournament team, while Young also collected MVP honors. Most recently, Maughan was named as the NFINITY Wildcat Classic MVP, while also being joined by Nesselhuf on the all-tournament team.
► WAC Honors - Boise State's Sadie Maughan earned her first-ever WAC Player of the Week honor on Sept. 20 for her efforts during the Sept. 13-19 week. Maughan's honor was only the fourth-ever by a Bronco since joining the WAC.
► WAC Coaches' Poll - Boise State was picked to finish fifth in the 2010 WAC Preseason Coaches' Poll in August, earning 35 points. Hawaii was picked to win its 15th-straight WAC title (64 points, 8 first place votes), New Mexico State was picked second (57 pts., one first place vote), Fresno State was picked third (44 pts.) and Utah State was picked fourth (38 pts.) to finish ahead of the Broncos. Rounding out the conference was Idaho in sixth (32 pts.), Nevada in seventh (30 pts.), Louisiana Tech in eighth (30 pts.) and San Jose State in ninth (9 pts.).