Boise State Travels to No. 6 Colorado State and Wyoming
Broncos begin stretch run with seven of last 10 matches on the road.
Oct. 22, 2014
Bronco head coach Shawn Garus recaps the teams four-match home stretch, and looks ahead to the rest of the conference schedule starting this weekend on the road against Colorado State and Wyoming.
This Week's Schedule and Quick Links
Boise State's Schedule
Social Media Links
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State (12-8, 5-3 MW) takes its four-match win streak on the road as they face No. 6 Colorado State (20-1, 8-0 MW) on Thursday and Wyoming (16-5, 5-3 MW) on Saturday.
- The Broncos just concluded a four-match homestand in which they swept all four opponents. Now they begin the second half of league play where they play seven of the last 10 contests on the road.
Thursday ● 7 p.m. ● at Colorado State Rams
- Boise State will take on the sixth-ranked CSU Rams to open the week on Thursday in Fort Collins, Colo.
- The Rams are 20-1 overall, 8-0 in league and 8-1 at home in 2014.
- Colorado State has won 15 straight including road wins last week over New Mexico (3-0) and Air Force (3-0).
- Colorado State leads the all-time series with Boise State 9-0 ... the Broncos have yet to win a set against the Rams.
- CSU won the first meeting of the year in Boise 3-0 (25-19, 25-17, 25-22).
- On the year Colorado State leads the MW and is ranked fourth nationally in hitting percentage at .297 and holds opponents to 14 percent hitting which is ninth nationally ... the Rams lead MW in kills per set at 14.35 to rank 13th nationally.
- Kelsey Snider leads the Rams in hitting percentage at .405 and a 3.03 kills per set average ... Jasmine Hanna leads in kills per sets at 3.16 to rank seventh in MW, followed by Marlee Reynolds at 3.12 kps (8th MW).
- The Rams were picked by the 11 coaches to win their sixth consecutive title in 2014.
Saturday ● 2 p.m. ● at Wyoming Cowgirls
- The weekend will conclude on Saturday when the Broncos travel to play the Wyoming Cowgirls in Laramie at 2 p.m.
- The Cowgirls and Broncos are currently tied for third place with Utah State at 5-3.
- Wyoming is 16-5 overall and 8-2 at home ... the Cowgirls swept a pair of road matches last week at Air Force (3-1) and at New Mexico (3-1).
- The all-time series is tied at nine all between these two programs ... the Cowgirls hold a 4-3 advantage in matches played at Laramie.
- The two teams have split the season series the last two years with the home team winning each time.
- Boise State won the first encounter of the year in Boise (Sept. 25) 3-1 (25-22, 21-25, 25-16, 25-19).
- Bridget Shanahan leads Wyoming averaging 3.72 kills per set to rank second in MW, while hitting 27.9 percent (15th MW) ... Laura Beach is second in MW and 14th nationally for hitting percentage at .419 ... Erin Kirby is third in MW and 18th in NCAA for hitting percentage at .416.
- As a team, Wyoming is 14th in NCAA and second in MW for hitting percentage at .283 ... third in mW and 42nd nationally for kills per set at 13.8.
- The Cowgirls were picked by the 11 MW coaches to place fifth in this year's league race.
- Head Coach: Shawn Garus picked up his 200th career win as a collegiate head coach when the Broncos defeated Nevada (Oct. 9) in straight sets ... he currently sits at 203-208 overall, 88-88 at Boise State.
- Record: The Broncos enter the week at 12-8 overall and 5-3 in MW play, tied for third with Wyoming and Utah State, a game behind UNLV in second at 6-2.
- Win Streak: Boise State has won four straight matches, all at home.
- Good Starts: Boise State is 11-1 when winning the first set and 1-7 when losing it ... the Broncos are 10-0 when winning the first two sets ... The win over Utah State (Oct. 14) was the first time the Broncos lost set one and won the match.
- National Team Rankings: Boise State is ranked in the top 50 nationally in three different categories: hitting percentage at No. 18 (.281 pct), 19th for kills per set (14.11) and 28th in assists per set (13.06).
- MW Team Rankings: On the year, the Broncos are third for hitting percentage (.281), second in kills per set (14.11) and second in assists per set (13.06).
- Sarah Baugh: Assists per set 11.14 (MW 2nd, NCAA 25th), total assists (MW 3rd, NCAA 77th).
- Hannah Hubbard: Digs per set 3.95 (MW 5th).
- Sierra Nobley: Hitting percentage .263 (MW 20th), kills per set 3.90 (MW 1st, NCAA 60th), total kills 273 (MW 3rd, NCAA 95th), service aces per set 0.29 (MW 6th), points per set 4.41 (MW 2nd, NCAA 63rd).
- Maddy O'Donnell: Hitting percentage of .421 (MW 1st, NCAA 10th), kills per set 2.83 (MW 13th), service aces per set 0.33 (MW 3rd), blocks per set 1.08 (MW 11th).
- Kaitlyn Oliver: Hitting percentage .415 (MW 4th, NCAA 19th).
- Hitting Percentage: Boise State's offense continues to be solid hitting 28.1 percent to rank third in MW and 18th nationally.
- Last Week: The Broncos hit a combined 38.6 percent against Utah Sate and Fresno State.
- MATCH RECORD: Boise State's top single match hitting percentage of the year is 60.3 percent against Fresno State (Oct. 18), which set three records: Boise State's all-time match record, as well as the Boise State and MW record for hitting percentage for a three-set match.
- Kills Total: Boise State is averaging 14.11 kills per set on the year to rank second in the MW and 19th nationally.
- Youth Movement: Boise State has been led primarily by its underclassmen this season. The top three in kills are freshman Sierra Nobley at 3.9 kills per set, sophomore Maddy O'Donnell at 2.83 kps and redshirt-freshman Kaitlyn Oliver at 2.41 kps.
The Last Meeting
September 27, 2014
The Last Meeting
September 25, 2014