Broncos Continue Five Match Homestand
UNLV and San Diego State are in town for MW action.
Oct. 23, 2013
Download complete PDF version of Bronco weekly notes.
Thursday, Oct. 24 Host UNLV at 7 p.m. in Bronco Gym Live Stats Live Video
Saturday, Oct. 26 Host San Diego State at 7 p.m. in Bronco Gym Live Stats Live VideoTHIS WEEK IN BRONCO VOLLEYBALL
The Last Meeting
November 21, 2012
Las Vegas, Nev.
The Last Meeting
|San Diego State||3
November 10, 2012
San Diego, Calif.
- Boise State (10-9, 4-5 MW) continues its five-match homestand this week when UNLV (11-7, 6-2 MW) and San Diego State (9-9, 4-4 MW) come to town.
- The Broncos will open the week on Thursday night at 7 p.m. (all times listed are Mountain) in Bronco Gym against second-place UNLV.
- Boise State will host San Diego State in the third of the five-match homestand on Saturday at 7 p.m. in Bronco Gym. The Aztecs are currently in sixth-place, one spot ahead of the Broncos.
MW PRESEASON POLL
- In relation to the three Mountain West schools involved this weekend the MW coaches predicted San Diego State to win the league, UNLV to place third, with Boise State coming in seventh during the 2013 league race.
- Live video for both of the Broncos’ matches this weekend will be available online through the “Mountain West Network” at www.broncosports.com/videos.
MATCH 20, UNLV Match Notes
- Thursday’s match between UNLV and Boise State will be the ninth in the all-time series with the Broncos leading 5-3, 3-1 in Mountain West encounters.
- The two teams split last year with the road team winning both, UNLV won 3-2 at Boise with the Broncos winning 3-0 in Las Vegas.
- Boise State is 2-1 against UNLV in Boise.
- UNLV enters the week tied for second-place in the MW standings at 6-2 with a 11-7 overall mark on the year.
- The Rebels split at home last week falling to No. 12 Colorado State 3-2, then regrouped to defeated Wyoming 3-1.
- UNLV is led by Sekola Falemaka ranked fourth in the MW for kill average at 3.65 kills per set (230 total), while Madeline Westman is eighth in the MW for hitting percentage at 33.8 percent.
- The Rebels returned five starters plus the libero and seven letterwinners from 2012.
MATCH 21, San Diego State Match Notes
- Saturday’s San Diego State-Boise State match will be the sixth all-time and fifth in MW play between these two programs, SDSU leads 4-1.
- Boise State split against the Aztecs last year with the Broncos winning 3-1 in Boise and falling 3-0 on the road.
- The Broncos are 1-1 against San Diego State in Bronco Gym all-time.
- SDSU was picked to repeat as MW champions, but enters the week at 9-9 overall and 4-4 in league play, the Aztecs are 4-6 on the road in 2013.
- The Aztecs play at Utah State on Thursday before traveling to Boise for Saturday’s encounter with the Broncos.
- Last week San Diego State lost a pair of home matches in MW play losing 3-1 to both Wyoming and No. 12 Colorado State.
- San Diego State is led by Summer Nash with 207 kills to rank fifth in the MW at 3.45 kills per set, she is followed by Michelle Waber ranked seventh at 3.09 kps (198 total kills).
- The Aztecs returned five starters and 13 letterwinners from 2012.
BOISE STATE TEAM NOTES
- The Record: Boise State is 10-9 overall and 4-5 in MW play heading into this week’s matches. The Broncos are 4-3 at home and 6-6 on the road in 2013.
- Recent Opponents: The Broncos have won two straight matches defeating Nevada in five on the road last Thursday (Oct. 17) and Air Force 3-0 at home on Oct. 20.
- Bronco Week Eight Leaders: Last week the Broncos were led by senior Sarah Horton who hit 31.8 percent combined and recorded team-highs for kills in both contests including a season-high 19 at Nevada with 11 against Air Force. Alyssa Gammel was close behind hitting 30.5 percent with 27 total kills to go with 25 digs. Taylor Murphey hit 31 percent with a third-best 20 kills to go with a team-high (tied) six blocks, Brittany Reardon also had six blocks to go with 12 kills.
- Offensively as a Team in Week Eight: The Broncos hit 33.9 percent last week with 110 kills to average 13.75 per set to go with 105 assists, eight aces.
- Defensively as a Team in Week Eight: The Broncos held the opponents to a combined 23.3 percent hitting and recorded 14 blocks with 86 digs.
- MATCH TOP-10 RECORD: Coming Up Aces - The Broncos recorded 13 service aces on Oct. 7 against Grand Canyon, that tied for third-most in a three-set match for Boise State during the rally scoring era (since 2001).
- CAREER TOP-10 RECORD: Setter Casey Rose recorded 31 assists at Nevada on Oct. 17 to move into ninth-place on the Bronco career assists list with 1,704 passing Mindy Bennett (2001-04). The senior now has 1,724 and needs to reach 1,862 to tie for eighth.
- Against 2012 NCAA Tournament: Boise State is currently 1-3 against teams that went to the 2012 NCAA Tournament: lost to No. 5 Washington, lost at Portland State, defeated Belmont and lost at No. 13 Colorado State.
- National Rankings: As of Oct. 20, the Broncos are ranked 48th nationally in hitting percentage (24.9 pct.), 71st in assists per set (12.58 aps) and 91st in kills per set (13.3).
- Mountain West Rankings: As of Oct. 21, Boise State enters the week ranked second in hitting percentage (24.9 pct.) on the year. It is ranked first in service aces (1.32 saps) per set, as well as third in assists (12.58 aps) and fourth in kills (13.3 kps).
- The Head Coach: Shawn Garus is in his fifth season in charge of the Broncos where he is 72-73 to go with a career record 187-193.