Oct. 17, 2016
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Boise State’s Maddy O’Donnell and Maddi Osburn have been named this week’s Mountain West Volleyball Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week, respectively, for matches played Oct. 10-16. The Bronco tandem led Boise State to a pair of road victories at San Jose State and Fresno State by 3-0 scores last week. The wins extended Boise State’s win streak to four, all by 3-0 sweeps, as it improved to 15-6 overall and 6-2 in league play, good for third place. This is O’Donnell’s first player of the week honor this season, while it is Osburn’s second.
O’DONNELL’S HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK
- On the week she hit a team-high 50 percent (26-4-44), recorded a team-high 26 kills and made only four hitting errors in 44 attempts over the two match stretch … also had one assist and one service ace … her hitting percentage was 15 percent better than what she had been hitting on the year at 34.9 percent.
- The middle blocker averaged a team-best 4.33 kills per set, 1.5 kps better than her season average of 2.6.
- O’Donnell’s 26 kills, one service ace, one block solo and team-high eight block assists gave her a team-high 32.0 points on the week … her 5.33 points per set average was nearly two points better than her season average of 3.54.
- In the win at San Jose State, O’Donnell hit 48 percent for a team-high 13 kills with one assist and one dig, in addition she added a team-high four block assists for two of her team-best 16.0 points.
- O’Donnell was big at SJSU in the second set tallying seven kills ... she had a hand in four of the Broncos final seven points, including two kills and two block assists, the last kill tied the score at 26 and was the first of a 3-0 Boise State run to win 28-26 … she also had two big back-to-back blocks late in the set that brought the Broncos even at 22 and gave them a 23-22 lead.
- In the third set at San Jose State O’Donnell had three of the Broncos final five points on two kills and a decisive service ace that clinched the match victory with a 25-18 set win.
- In Saturday’s win at Fresno State O’Donnell recorded 13 kills while hitting 52.6 percent, she added one block solo and four block assists to give her a team-high 16.0 points in the victory.
- Boise State was down 22-19 to Fresno State in the first set and rallied with a 6-1 run to win the period, O’Donnell recorded three of the points on two kills and a block to lead the rally.
- She also led Boise State in the third set five kills and one block solo.
OSBURN’S HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK
- Osburn played a key defensive role in the Broncos winning a pair of road matches at San Jose State and Fresno State by 3-0 sweeps.
- The junior recorded a team-high 35 digs and averaged 5.83 digs per set while playing in all six sets over the week.
- Osburn made only one reception error in 43 service reception attempts for a 97.7 success percentage.
- She also had two service aces during the week.
- In the Broncos’ win at San Jose State, Osburn had a team-high 18 digs for a 6.0 per set average and a serve receive percentage of .963 making only one error in 26 receptions.
- At Fresno State the junior tallied a team-best 17 digs for a 5.67 per set average … she also had a perfect serve receive percentage on 16 recpetions … two service aces and four assists.