Oct. 12, 2014
Bronco Weekly: Head coach Shawn Garus talks about his 200th career victory, Sarah Baugh's move into fourth place for career assists at Boise State, and looks ahead to matches against Utah State and Fresno State this week.
This Week's Schedule and Quick Links
Boise State's Schedule
- Tuesday (Oct. 14) at 7:00 p.m. (MT) - Utah State at Boise State (Bronco Gym)
Live Stats | Live Video
- Saturday (Oct. 18) at 2:00 p.m. (MT) - Fresno State at Boise State (Bronco Gym)
Live Stats | Live Video
Social Media Links
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State (10-8, 3-3 MW) is looking to extend its two-match win streak Tuesday night when the Broncos host Utah State (8-8, 4-2 MW) at 7 p.m. in Bronco Gym.
- The Broncos are in the middle of a four-match homestand and are entering Tuesday night's contest having won the first two matches of the home series over Nevada (3-0) and San Jose State (3-1).
- Boise State will close this week's slate when it hosts the Fresno State Bulldogs at 2 p.m. on Saturday to conclude the homestand.
- PARKING: Parking for this week's matches will be available free in the west stadium parking lot, between Albertsons Stadium and Taco Bell Arena/Bronco Gym.
Tuesday ● 7 p.m. ● Utah State Aggies
- Boise State hosts Utah State at 7 p.m. Tuesday night in Bronco Gym.
- Utah State has won three straight over Air Force (3-2) on the road, followed by a home sweep of San Jose State (3-1) and Nevada (3-0).
- The Aggies are currently 8-8 overall and 4-2 in league play ... they are 4-4 on the road in 2014.
- Boise State holds a slim advantage in the all-time series 17-16 and lead 9-6 in matches play at Boise.
- Utah State has controlled the series lately winning three straight and 16 of the last 19 encounters ... the Broncos won the first 14 contests of the series dating back to 1985.
- Last year the Aggies won 3-0 in Logan and 3-1 in Boise, back-to-back matches to open the MW season.
- Rachel Orr leads USU with 225 kills to rank fifth in the MW for kills per set average at 3.36 ... Kaitlyn Vanhoff follows with 179 kills and is ranked eighth in the MW for hitting percentage at .327.
- As a team, Utah State is hitting 18.9 percent on the year to rank seventh in the league ... they are fifth in defensive hitting percentage holding opponents to .186.
- The Aggies were picked to place third out of 11 teams by the MW coaches in the 2014 league race.
Saturday ● 2 p.m. ● Fresno State Bulldogs
- Fresno State will close the Broncos' four-match homestand when the Bulldogs come to town for a 2 p.m. contest in Bronco Gym on Saturday.
- The Bulldogs will travel to Logan, Utah, on Thursday to play Utah State prior to coming to Boise.
- Fresno State has lost nine of its last 10 contests including a pair this past week at Wyoming (3-0) and at No. 7 Colorado State (3-0).
- The Bulldogs are 6-14 on the year and 1-5 in MW play ... their lone MW win was at home over San Jose State (3-0).
- Fresno State leads the all-time series with Boise State 20-8 ... Bulldogs lead 6-4 in matches played at Boise.
- They split last year with the road team winning each time, Fresno State 3-2 in Boise, followed by Boise State winning 3-1 in Fresno.
- Even though the Bulldogs have controlled the series it has been a tightly contested rivalry with 11 of the last 13 matches going five sets.
- Zana Bowens leads the Bulldogs with 229 kills to rank eighth in the league for kills per set at 3.14, she leads the MW in service aces averaging 0.40 per set (29 total) ... Carly Scarbrough is second on team in kills with 175.
- As a team, Fresno State ranks ninth in the conference for hitting percentage at .172 ... the Bulldogs are sixth in assists per set at 11.63 and kills at 12.42 kps.
- The Bulldogs were picked by the 11 coaches to place eighth in this year's league race.
- Head coach Shawn Garus picked up his 200th career win as a collegiate head coach last Thursday when the Broncos defeated Nevada (Oct. 9) in straight sets ... he currently sits at 201-208 overall, 86-88 at Boise State.
- The Broncos enter the week at 10-8 overall and 3-3 in MW play, tied for sixth with Wyoming and Air Force, one win behind Utah State and New Mexico (4-2 MW) who are tied for second.
- Boise State snapped a three-match losing streak when the Broncos defeated Nevada 3-0 on Oct. 9 ... they have now won two straight at home.
- Boise State is 10-1 when winning the first set and 0-7 when losing it ... it is 9-0 when winning the first two sets.
- Boise State has been led primarily by its underclassmen this season. The top three in kills are freshman Sierra Nobley at 3.65 kills per set, sophomore Maddy O'Donnell at 2.74 kps and redshirt-freshman Kaitlyn Oliver at 2.43 kps.
- (As of 10/7/2014) Boise State is ranked in the top 50 nationally in three different categories: hitting percentage at No. 32 (.267 pct), 26th for kills per set (13.95) and 34th in assists per set (12.95).
- In the MW Rankings on the year, the Broncos are third for hitting percentage (.270), second in kills per set (13.95) and second in assists per set (12.95).
BRONCOS TO WATCH
- The junior setter is Boise State's floor leader dishing out 697 assists through 18 matches for a 11.06 per set average to rank second in the MW.
- Last week against Nevada she dished out 41 assists to move into sole possession of fourth place on the Boise State career list during the rally scoring era (2001-present) with 1,875.
- The sophomore middle blocker leads the team and is fourth in the MW for hitting percentage at .402.
- Other MW rankings have her 15th in kills per set at 2.74 and third in service aces at 0.36 per set.
- She is second on the team in kills (145), tied for first in service aces (19) and leads in blocks (52).
- The freshman outside hitter has led the Broncos in kills during 11 of the 18 matches to date and has a team-high 230 on the year ... second in MW for kills per set at 3.65.
- Recorded a career-high 23 kills at Air Force (Oct. 2) while hitting 47.6 percent.