► What's Happening - The Boise State volleyball team is set to take on New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech on the road this week after a 2-1 week at home. The Broncos head to New Mexico State on Thursday (Oct. 14) for a 7 p.m. (Mountain) match, followed by an Oct. 16 match at Louisiana Tech at 6:30 p.m. (Mountain).
► Internet Coverage - Live stats will be available for the New Mexico State match at: http://www.nmnathletics.com/liveStats/liveStats.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1900&KEY= while the Louisiana Tech match will be available at: http://www.latechsports.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wvolley.html?event=900499&school=latc&sport=wvolley&camefrom=&startschool=&
Live video for the New Mexico State match is available at: http://aggievision.tv/Home.html. Live video for the Louisiana Tech match will be available at: http://www.latechsports.com/index-main.html and then click on the 'all-access' tab. Cost is $9.95 per month.
► A Look at Boise State:
● Weekly Recap: The Broncos come off of their homecoming week where they went 2-1 overall and 1-1 in Western Athletic Conference matches. Boise State defeated Idaho State, 3-1, on Tuesday (Oct. 5), followed by a tough 3-1 loss to Nevada on Thursday (Oct. 7). The Broncos bounced back on Saturday (Oct. 9) with a 3-2 win over Utah State.
● About the Broncos: Boise State holds a 16-5 record on the season, including a 3-3 WAC record. Currently Alisha Young leads the team with 272 kills this season, as well as total points (344.0) while Sadie Maughan leads in blocks (95). Breann Nesselhuf leads the team in assists (898), while Kersti Whitney leads in aces (25). Amanda Remy leads the backcourt with 265 digs this season.
● In the Rankings: The Boise State volleyball team has a handful of top-50 national rankings to boast. The team overall ranks No. 41 in the country in blocks per set (2.51), while also sitting at No. 48 in win-loss percentage (0.762) and No. 50 in hitting percentage (0.244). Individually Breann Nesselhuf ranks No. 22 in the nation in assists per set (11.23), while Sadie Maughan ranks No. 34 in hitting percentage (0.379). The team ranks No. 98 in the NCAA RPI rankings.
● Record Watch: A handful of Broncos are making their mark in the Boise State record books this season with Sadie Maughan, Alisha Young, Elizabeth Griffin, Breann Nesselhuf and Lauren Hamm all inside the school's top-10 lists. Maughan and Young sit at No. 3 (1,103.5) and No. 4 (1,091.5), respectively, on the career-points chart. The pair chases No. 2 Jeanette Jenkins who totaled 1,161.5 career points. Junior Griffin joins the senior pair in the career-points top-10, sitting at No. 10 with 496.0 points (No. 9 is Mandy Klein, 549.0, 2005-08). Young made her way into the season total-points top-10 this week, tallying 344 points so far this season, tying with her 2009 total for the No. 7 spot.
Maughan set a school record for hitting percentage in a match on Sept. 18 against Davidson, earning a .867 hitting percentage. Maughan and Griffin each have had top-10 hitting percentages in a match this season, tying for the No. 8 spot with .692 hitting percentages each. Maughan recorded hers against Long Island (Aug. 28) while Griffin set hers against Weber State (Sept. 8).
Maughan also sits among the top-10 in total career-blocks, moving to No. 6 this week with 384. (No. 5 is held by Kelly Chapman, 404 blocks, 1983-86). Maughan tied for No. 4 in all-time assisted blocks in a match against Idaho (Sept. 29) with 10.
Breann Nesselhuf remains at No. 8 in career assists with 1,842 (No. 7 is Christina Melvin, 1,862 assists, 2003-04). Lauren Hamm moved up to No. 7 on the career digs list with 1,161 digs (No. 6 is Tara Brinkerhoff, 1,169 assists, 1997-200).
Young is nearing the career-kills list with 913 total, chasing down the No. 10 spot held by Debbie Hansmann (1,022 career kills). She already is tied for No. 4 on the top-10 kills in a match this season, hitting 29 kills against Portland State (Sept. 4).
● Boise State Head Coach: Shawn Garus enters his second season at Boise State and currently holds a 141-148 record over his career, as well as a 24-27 record at Boise State.
► Match 22 Preview - at New Mexico State:
● The Series: The Broncos and the Aggies enter their 24th all-time competition with each other, dating back to Sept. 8, 1984. The Aggies hold a 15-8 series lead over Boise State, as well as a 12 match winning streak. The last time the two teams faced-off was Nov. 24, 2009 in the semifinals of the WAC Tournament. NMSU won 3-0 (25-16, 26-24, 25-10) to advance to the tournament finals.
● About the Aggies: New Mexico State enters the week with a 10-9 overall record and a 4-1 conference record. Individually Kayleigh Giddens leads the team with 324 kills, 19 service aces and 360.5 points on the season. Kelsey Brennan leads in total blocks (44), while Ellen Miks leads in digs (208) and Jennah DeVries leads in assists (690).
● In the Rankings: The New Mexico State volleyball team ranks in the nation's top-50 as a team in one category: hitting percentage, sitting at No. 47 (0.245). Kayleigh Giddens ranks No. 7 in the nation in kills per set (4.91), as well as No. 9 in points per set (5.46). Jennah DeVries ranks No. 26 in the nation in assists per set (10.95), while the team holds the No. 78 spot in the NCAA RPI rankings.
● Close Ties: Boise State sophomore played her freshman season of volleyball at New Mexico State in 2008 before transferring to Boise State and taking a year off from volleyball.
● New Mexico State Head Coach: Mike Jordan holds a 277-124 record over his 13 years at NMSU, including the team's 10-9 record this season.
► Match 23 Preview - at Louisiana Tech:
● The Series: The Broncos and Lady Techsters meet up for the 18th time in series history, with Boise State leading the all-time series 15-2. The Broncos have a six-match winning streak over LTU, including their most recent 3-2 win in Ruston, La., on Nov. 7, 2009.
● About the Lady Techsters: Louisiana Tech enters the week with a 10-10 record, including a 0-5 WAC record. The team is led by Taylor Fritz who has 177 kills on the season, while Kara Jones has added 43 blocks. Jennifer Goodwin leads in aces (20), while Lori Hunsucker leads in digs (343). Bianca Bin runs the offense with her 582 assists on the season.
● In the Rankings: Louisiana Tech's Lori Hunsucker is the only top-50 ranked player on the team currently. She sits at No. 40 in the nation in digs per set (5.04). The team is ranked No. 239 in the NCAA RPI rankings.
● Louisiana Tech Head Coach: Matt Sonnichsen is in his third season with Louisiana Tech, holding a 29-52 record, including the team's 10-10 record this season.
► Match Club - Boise State volleyball has created a new way for fans to support the Bronco volleyball program. Check out the "Match Club" button on the volleyball page of the www.broncosports.com website for more details.
► All-Tournament Team Members - Alisha Young and Sadie Maughan were named to the 2010 Falcon Invitational All-Tournament Team, while Young and Breann Nesselhuf were been named to the 2010 Northwest Challenge All-Tournament Team. In the Uni/Wyo Cowgirl Classic, Young was joined by Liz Harden and Kersti Whitney on the all-tournament team, while Young also collected MVP honors. Most recently, Maughan was named as the NFINITY Wildcat Classic MVP, while also being joined by Nesselhuf on the all-tournament team.
► WAC Honors - Boise State's Sadie Maughan earned her first-ever WAC Player of the Week honor on Sept. 20 for her efforts during the Sept. 13-19 week. Maughan's honor was only the fourth-ever by a Bronco since joining the WAC.
► WAC Coaches' Poll - Boise State was picked to finish fifth in the 2010 WAC Preseason Coaches' Poll in August, earning 35 points. Hawaii was picked to win its 15th-straight WAC title (64 points, 8 first place votes), New Mexico State was picked second (57 pts., one first place vote), Fresno State was picked third (44 pts.) and Utah State was picked fourth (38 pts.) to finish ahead of the Broncos. Rounding out the conference was Idaho in sixth (32 pts.), Nevada in seventh (30 pts.), Louisiana Tech in eighth (30 pts.) and San Jose State in ninth (9 pts.).