Broncos Head to Air Force and New Mexico
These are the first MW road matches for Boise State.
Oct. 1, 2014
Bronco Weekly: Head Coach Shawn Garus talks about the Broncos' performance in their opening weekend of conference play, and looks ahead to the teams opponents this weekend.
This Week's Schedule and Quick Links
Boise State's Tournament Schedule
Social Media Links
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State (8-6, 1-1 MW) is on the road this weekend for a pair of Mountain West Conference matches as the Broncos head to Air Force (8-8, 2-0 MW) and New Mexico (9-5, 2-0 MW).
- The Broncos will be taking on a pair of teams that came away with big road sweeps last weekend to open conference play.
Thursday ● 7 p.m. ● at Air Force Falcons
- The Broncos open the second week of MW play on Thursday at Air Force in Falcon Court at East Gym.
- USAFA is coming off a big weekend where they swept Nevada (3-2) and San Jose State (3-1) on the road.
- The Falcons are currently 8-8 overall and 2-0 in league action, tied for first place in the conference standings.
- Boise State leads the all-time series 7-1, however, Air Force won the last meeting 3-1 which was in Colorado (11/9/2013).
- Akokwe Clement leads the Falcons on the year in kills with 214 for a 3.45 per set average to rank fourth in MW ... Maggie Sherrill is next at 182 (2.94 kps / 12th MW).
- As a team, Air Force is hitting 24.8 percent on the year to rank fifth in the MW and 61st nationally.
- The Falcons were picked to place ninth out of 11 teams by the MW coaches in the 2014 league race.
Saturday ● 12 p.m. ● New Mexico Lobos
- Boise State closes the week on Saturday at 12 p.m. in Albuquerque, N.M., against the New Mexico Lobos in the Johnson Center Gymnasium.
- New Mexico also opened MW play by sweeping San Jose State and Nevada, respectively, both by 3-0 scores.
- The Lobos are 9-5 on the year and 2-0 MW play, tied for first place.
- The MW Preseason Player of the Year Chantale Riddle leads the Lobos with 171 kills for a 3.72 per set average to rank second in MW and 79th nationally, she has 74 blocks to rank second in MW and eighth in NCAA at 1.61 bps ... Julia Warren is next with 85 kills (2.02 kps).
- As a team, New Mexico ranks fifth in the MW for hitting percentage at .222 ... they lead the conference and are 11th in NCAA for defensive hitting percentage holding opponents to 12.9 percent.
- The Lobos were picked by the 11 coaches to place second in this year's league race.
- Head coach Shawn Garus is looking for his 200th career win as a collegiate head coach ... currently sits at 199-206 overall, he is 84-86 at Boise State.
- The Broncos enter the week at 8-6 overall and 1-1 in MW play, tied for sixth with Utah State.
- Last weekend they split their conference openers at home defeating Wyoming 3-1 before falling to No. 7 Colorado State 3-0.
- Boise State saw a five-match win streak snapped with the loss to CSU.
- Boise State has been led primarily by its underclassmen this season. The top three in kills are freshman Sierra Nobley at 3.67 kills per set, sophomore Maddy O'Donnell at 2.88 kps and senior Alyssa Gammel at 2.41 kps.
- Boise State is ranked in the top 50 nationally in three different categories: hitting percentage at No. 18 (.278 pct), 29th for kills per set (13.9) and 40th in assists per set (12.88).
- In MW Rankings the Broncos are third for hitting percentage, second in kills per set and third in assists per set.
- On the year the Broncos are out hitting the opposition 28 percent to 24 percent ... they have out hit their opponents in nine of the 14 matches.
BRONCOS TO WATCH
- The junior setter is Boise State's floor leader dishing out 539 assists through 14 matches for a 11.0 per set average to rank third in the MW and 26th nationally.
- Has been named to two all-tournament teams this season.
- Currently ranked fifth at Boise State in career assists during the rally scoring era with 1,755 and fourth in assists per set at 6.38.
- The sophomore middle blocker leads the MW and is ranked fifth nationally in hitting percentage (.477) and 30th for services aces per set (0.48).
- In the MW rankings she leads in hitting percentage and aces per set, as well as 13th for kills per set at 2.88 and 10th in blocks at 1.08 per set.
- She is third on the team in kills (115), first in service aces (19) and blocks (43).
- The freshman outside hitter has led the Broncos in kills during 10 of the 14 matches to date and has a team-high 180 on the year ... ranks third in the MW and 83rd in NCAA for kills per set at 3.67.
- Named to both the Northwest Challenge and Sears Sugar Bear Classic all-tournament teams over the first two weekends of season.
- Third among active players in MW for career double-doubles with 26, has two in 2014.
- Second on team in kills with 118 and second in digs with 119.
- Led team in kills last year with 286.
- Started year ranked seventh at Boise State during the rally scoring era for total kills (708) ... currently ranked sixth for total kills (803), second for kills per set (3.06), 10th for digs (647).
- MATCH RECORD: Set a Boise State rally scoring era match record for service aces in a four-set match with six against Wyoming (Sept. 25) ... it tied for seventh all-time in a match.
The Last Meeting
November 9, 2013
Colorado Springs, Colo.
The Last Meeting
November 7, 2013
Boise State Falls in Four at New Mexico
Boise State fell in four sets (16-25, 25-23, 25-15, 25-17) Thursday night on the road in Albuquerque, N.M., to the New Mexico Lobos in a Mountain West Conference match.