Boise State Travels to San Jose State and Fresno State
Broncos on the road for the second week of MW action.
Taylor Murphey leads Broncos with 102 kills.
Sept. 25, 2013
Download complete pdf version of weekly notes
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
The Last Meeting
|San Jose State||2
September 7, 2012
The Last Meeting
November 23, 2012
- Thursday, Sept. 26 - Boise State at San Jose State, 8 p.m. (Mountain) Live Stats
- Saturday, Sept. 28 - Boise State at Fresno State, 8 p.m. (Mountain) Live Stats
THIS WEEK IN BRONCO VOLLEYBALL
- Boise State (5-6, 0-2 MW) continues Mountain West Conference action this week traveling to California to face league newcomer San Jose State (3-7, 0-0 MW) on Thursday followed by Fresno State (6-6, 0-0 MW) Saturday.
- MW Preseason Poll: The MW coaches predicted Fresno State to place sixth, Boise State seventh and San Jose State ninth in the 2013 league race.
MATCH 12, QUICK NOTES ON SAN JOSE STATE
- The Broncos will open the week at 8 p.m. (Mountain Time) in San Jose State’s Event Center.
- The Spartans joined the MW this summer and are former league rivals of Boise State in the Western Athletic Conference for 10 years, they lead the all-time series 16-8 over the Broncos.
- SJSU leads the series 7-3 in matches played in San Jose.
- Boise State has won five straight encounters over SJSU, including a five-set win in Boise last year.
- San Jose State enters the week at 3-7 overall with the Boise State match being the Spartans’ league opener. They are 1-0 at home this season.
- Last week SJSU went 2-2 defeating Eastern Washington 3-2 at home before going to the Bankers Classic in Stockton, Calif., where it lost to Winthrop (3-2), defeated UC Riverside (3-0) then fell to host Pacific (3-0).
- Hanah Blume leads the Spartans hitting 22.5 percent with 140 kills (3.68 kps / 4th MW) and 21 blocks (0.55 bps). Mary Alice O’Reilly follows with 110 kills (2.89 kps) and team-high 49 blocks (1.29 bps / 6th MW).
MATCH 13, QUICK NOTES ON FRESNO STATE
- Boise State will conclude the week at 8 p.m. (Mountain Time) in Fresno State’s Save Mart Center.
- The Bulldogs were also former WAC rivals of the Broncos before joining the MW for 2012 season.
- Fresno State leads the all-time series 19-7, 10 of the last 11 matches have been decided in five-sets with the Broncos winning three.
- The Bulldogs have won six straight over the Broncos and own a 9-3 mark in Fresno versus Boise State.
- Fresno State enters the week at 6-6 overall with the Boise State match being the second MW contest for the Bulldogs following Thursday’s meeting with Utah State in Fresno. They are 3-3 at home this season.
- Last week Fresno State went 2-1 at the UC Irvine Invitational where it defeated Xavier (3-0), lost to American (3-2) and downed UCI (3-1).
- Korrin Wild leads Fresno State on the year with a MW third-best 3.69 kills per set average (129 kills), followed by Holly Franks with 131 kills (2.73 kps) and team-high 35 blocks (0.73 bps).
BOISE STATE TEAM NOTES
- The Record: Boise State is 5-6 overall heading into this week’s matches. The Broncos are 2-2 at home and 3-4 on the road in 2013.
- Recent Opponents: The Broncos opened Mountain West play last week with two losses against Utah State, 3-0 in Logan and 3-1 in Boise.
- Against 2012 NCAA Tournament: Boise State is currently 1-2 against teams that went to the 2012 NCAA Tournament: lost to No. 5 Washington, lost at Portland State and defeated Belmont.
- National Rankings: As of Sept. 22 the Broncos are ranked 45th nationally in hitting percentage (25.8 pct.), 50th in assists per set (12.8 aps) and 78th in kills per set (13.43 kps).
- Mountain West Rankings: Boise State enters the week ranked second in hitting percentage (25.8 pct.), third in assists (12.8 aps), kills (13.43 kps) and service aces (1.3 saps) per set.
- The Head Coach: Shawn Garus is in his fifth season in charge of the Broncos where he is 67-70 to go with a career record 182-190.
BOISE STATE INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES
- Second on the team in assists with 109 for a 5.22 per set average, season high was 28 in Gonzaga match on Aug. 31.
- Led the team in both matches versus Utah State to open league play with 16 and 25.
- Has played every match and set this fall.
- Had a career match against North Texas on Sept. 13 recording all-time highs with 14 kills and hit 70 percent.
- Recorded a career-best seven blocks versus Gonzaga and six had blocks in match at Portland State, both were on Aug. 31 during the Northwest Challenge.
- Current MW leader in hitting percentage on the year at 42.2 percent.
- Top offensive returner from 2012 ranked second in kills on the team with 399, was fourth in the MW for kills per set at 3.44 kps.
- Missed the Northwest Challenge in Portland , Ore., Aug. 30-31 because of injury.
- First action of the season came against Belmont to open the Wildcat Challenge on Sept. 6 recording five kills, one service ace and nine digs.
- Second on the team in kills per set at 2.52, has 73 total kills.
- Second on team in digs with 82.
- Had a season-high 14 kills and 22 digs against Idaho on Sept. 12.
- Transferred to Boise State this summer after earning All-Big Sky First Team recognition at Montana State in 2012 ... started all 29 matches for MSU and led the Big Sky in kills with 497 to average 4.21 kills per set.
- Had 11 kills in the match against Gonzaga on Aug. 31 to go with 12 digs, both season highs, to record her first double-double as a Bronco.
- At the Wildcat Challenge she had the team-high (tied) for kills with 26 while hitting 29.6 percent, to go with six blocks during the tournament.
- Had a Boise State career-high 13 kills against Idaho on Sept. 12 and hit 44.4 percent against Sac State on Sept. 14.
- Team-high 13 kills at home against Utah State (Sept. 21).
- The true freshman has played at libero in every match this fall.
- Has a team-high 148 digs with a career best 26 in the Gonzaga match on Aug. 31.
- Ranked eighth in the MW for digs per set at 3.70.
- Had six assists and 14 digs versus North Texas on Sept. 13.
- Ranked fifth on the team for kills with 72 for a 1.8 per set average while hitting 21.9 percent from the floor.
- Recorded first career double-double in the Bronco victory over Gonzaga with 11 kills and 21 digs, both totals were career highs at the time.
- Recorded 21 kills, hit 21.2 percent and had eight blocks during the three matches of the Bronco Volleyball Classic Sept. 12-14.
- Recorded a new career-high 12 kills in Idaho match (Sept. 12) while hitting 33.3 percent.
- Named to all-tournament team at the Wildcat Challenge Sept. 6-8 ... recorded 26 kills, hit 29.4 percent, 17 digs and six blocks.
- Team-high 102 kills for a 2.55 kills per set average while hitting 28 percent from the floor ... tied for third on team in blocks with 21.
- Recorded a career-high 20 kills in the five-set Bronco victory over Gonzaga on Aug. 31.
- Had team-high 13 kills against Columbia on Sept. 6 and hit 33.3 percent.
- Hit 25.8 percent in Bronco Volleyball Classic with 29 kills and six blocks.
- Named to all-tournament team at the Wildcat Challenge Sept. 6-8 and Bronco Volleyball Classic Sept. 12-14.
- Third on the team for kills with 82 while hitting 40.2 percent, team-best 33 blocks, eight are solos.
- Ranked fifth in MW and 37th nationally for hitting percentage at 40.2 percent.
- Hit a season-high 66.7 percent against Sac State on Sept. 14 and 55 percent versus Columbia on Sept. 6.
- Had season high 12 kills in the Broncos win over Columbia hitting an impressive 55 percent to go with four blocks ... also had 12 in North Texas match on Sept. 13.
- Has seven matches (out of 11) with three or more blocks.
- Top-10 Career List - On Sept. 21 against the Utah State Aggies Rose recorded 20 assists to move her into 10th-place all-time for career assists at Boise State with 1,541, she remains fifth during the rally scoring era.
- Has a team high 239 assists on the year with a season high of 36 against Gonzaga on Aug. 31.
- Has team-high three double-doubles, most recent was against Sac State with 10 kills and 10 digs on Sept. 14.
- Had 35 assists in match against Columbia.
BOISE STATE at SAN JOSE STATE (LIVE VIDEO)
(will begin playing at start of match)