Sarah Baugh needs 78 digs to reach 3,000 career milestone.
Sept. 23, 2015
WEEK ONE OF CONFERENCE PLAY
Thursday, Sept. 24
Saturday, Sept. 26
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State (8-4, 0-0 MW) opens Mountain West Conference play with the biggest challenge of the year going on the road to face No. 27 Wyoming (10-2, 0-0 MW) and No. 19 Colorado State (7-3, 0-0 MW).
- The week begins in Laramie, Wyo., at 6:30 p.m. (all times are Mountain) Thursday night when the Broncos take on No. 27 Wyoming Cowgirls in the UniWyo Sports Complex where the UW is 8-1 this season.
- The action continues Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. in Moby Arena at Fort Collins, Colo., against the 19th-ranked and six-time defending MW champion Colorado State Rams, CSU is 6-1 at home this year.
- This is the opening weekend of conference play for all 11 schools.
Nobley Receives Mountain West Weekly Honor
- Sophomore outside hitter Sierra Nobley was named this week’s MW Offensive Player of the Week.
- Helped Broncos to 2-1 mark at Grand Canyon University Invitational last week.
- Hit 30.6 percent for a team-high 52 kills to average 4.73 kps.
- In the NAU match Nobley recorded her second double-double of the year with 17 kills and 13 digs.
- In Boise State’s four-set win over UCR she recorded a team-high 21 kills while hitting a season-high 50 percent, in addition to a team-high four service aces and career-high six blocks, three solos.
- The Scottsdale, Ariz., native led the Broncos in the three-set win at Grand Canyon with a team-best 14 kills while hitting 32 percent. She also added two assists, two service aces and eight digs in the victory.
Shawn Garus, Head Coach
- Garus currently sits at 217-216 overall in his 15-year career as a collegiate head coach.
- Garus is currently 102-96 at Boise State in his seventh season.
- Garus hit the 100 win milestone at Boise State when the Broncos defeated Abilene Christian 3-0 on Sept. 12.
- Garus ranks second in total wins in program history.
Team Statistical Rankings
- Entering league play the Broncos lead the Mountain West and are ranked high nationally in three statistical categories.
- Hitting percentage of .302 leads the MW and is eighth nationally ... they finished 2014 ranked 24th nationally at .263, a school record.
- They average 14.64 kills per set to lead the MW and rank eighth nationally ... they finished last year ranked 17th in NCAA at 14.21 kps.
- Boise State dishes out 13.74 assists per set to lead the MW and rank seventh nationally ... the Broncos were 15th nationally at the end of 2014 at 13.25.
Sierra Nobley, Outside Hitter
- Sophomore outside hitter Sierra Nobley has led the Broncos in kills during 10 of 12 matches this season.
- Leads MW and is ranked seventh nationally for kills per set at 4.8.
- Nobley leads the MW and is sixth in NCAA for points per set at 5.46.
- The sophomore outside hitter ranks 32nd nationally in total kills with 197.
- She ranks 22nd in the nation for attacks per set at 11.83.
Sarah Baugh, Setter
- Senior setter Sarah Baugh currently leads the MW and is third nationally in assists per set at 11.83.
- She also leads the MW and is ranked 45th in NCAA for total assists at 497.
- Needs 78 assists to become sixth Bronco all-time to reach 3,000 milestone, third during rally scoring era (2001-present).
- Has been named to both the Boise State Invitational (Sept. 3-5) and the North Texas (Sept. 11-12) All-Tournament Teams.
Kaitlyn Oliver, Middle Blocker
- Redshirt-sophomore Kaitlyn Oliver leads the Broncos for blocks per set at 0.93.
- Oliver ranks second in MW and 31st nationally in hitting percentage at .421.
THIS WEEK’S OPPOSITION
No. 27 Wyoming (10-2, 0-0 MW)
- The Cowgirls are ranked 27th nationally by the AVCA and enter the week on a four-match win streak.
- UW was picked fourth in the MW preseason poll but has the best non-league mark entering conference play.
- Wyoming has played nine of its 12 nonconference matches at home this year where they are 8-1 in UniWyo Sports Complex.
- Kayla Slofkiss leads UW with 121 kills (2.69 kps), while Laura Beach is second with 116 (2.52 kps) while hitting a team-best 32.5 percent (8th MW).
- As a team Wyoming leads MW and is 16th nationally in blocks per set at 2.8 ... ranked eight in MW for hitting percentage at .191, but is second in MW and 26th nationally in opponent hitting percentage at .147.
- Wyoming holds a slim 10-9 lead in the series over the Broncos ... Boise State leads the conference series 5-3.
- Last year the two split with the home team winning each time.
No. 19 Colorado State (7-3, 0-0 MW)
- The Rams enter the week ranked 19th nationally (AVCA) with a 7-3 overall mark.
- The six-time defending MW champions where picked to repeat again in 2015.
- Like Wyoming, CSU has played most of its nonconference schedule at home where they are 6-1 in Moby Arena.
- Adrianna Culbert, the MW Preseason Player of the Year, leads CSU in kills with 93 (3.1 kps) while hitting 37.2 percent (3rd MW) ... Acacia Andrews leads the MW and is ranked 28th nationally in hitting percentage at 42.3, good for 65 kills on the season.
- As a team Colorado State is third in hitting percentage and 82nd nationally at .239 ... second in kills per set and 65th nationally at 13.5.
- Boise State has never defeated CSU and is 0-10 versus the Rams all-time ... 0-8 in MW play.