Big Weekend for Broncos to Open Mountain West
Boise State hosts top two teams in the league in Wyoming and No. 7 Colorado State.
Sept. 23, 2014
Bronco Weekly spoke with head coach Shawn Garus who recaps the Broncos performance in Corpus Christi, Texas, and looks ahead to conference play against Wyoming and No. 7 Colorado State this weekend.
This Week's Schedule and Quick Links
Boise State's Tournament Schedule
- Thursday (Sept. 25) at 7:00 p.m. (MT) - Wyoming at Boise State (Bronco Gym) Live Stats | Live Video
- Saturday (Sept. 27) at 2:00 p.m. (MT) - No. 7 Colorado State at Boise State (Bronco Gym) Live Stats | Live Video
Social Media Links
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State (7-5) opens Mountain West Conference action this weekend with a big homestand against the top-two MW teams in the non-conference portion of the season in Wyoming (11-2) and No. 7 Colorado State (12-1).
Thursday ● 7 p.m. ● Wyoming Cowgirls
- The Broncos open the week on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Bronco Gym when the Wyoming Cowgirls come to town.
- PARKING: With the concert in Taco Bell Arena on Thursday night, volleyball parking will be available in the Lincoln Parking Garage and Liberal Arts Parking Lot.
- PROMOTIONS: Rally towels for the first 250 fans at the match. WHITE OUT, wear white to Thursday's match in support of your Broncos.
- The Cowgirls who are 11-2 entering the week are receiving votes in the AVCA Top-25 poll.
- UW is coming off a 2-1 weekend where they defeated UC Davis (3-1) and Hampton (3-0) before falling at Northern Colorado (3-1).
- Wyoming holds a slight 9-8 advantage in the all-time series, however, Boise State is 4-2 in conference matches since joining the MW for the 2011 campaign.
- The two teams have split the season series the last two years with the home team winning each time.
- Wyoming is led by Bridget Shannahan who leads the MW at 3.74 kills per set (172 total) to go with 20 blocks (0.43). Laura Beach is next at 2.61 kps (120), but she leads the MW and is fourth nationally in hitting percentage at .510.
- As a team, the Cowgirls are fourth nationally and lead the MW in hitting percentage at .313 ... they also lead the conference in assists at 13.09 per set (31st NCAA).
Saturday ● 2 p.m. ● Colorado State Rams
- Boise State closes the week on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. in Bronco Gym against the seventh-ranked Colorado State Rams.
- PROMOTIONS: Hometown Heroes, all fire, police, medical and military personal wearing their uniform or with their service ID will get into match for free. In addition, family members get in for $3, up four people. Autographs to follow match.
- CSU swept three matches last weekend in Phoenix, Ariz., defeating No. 18 Arizona State (3-2), Pepperdine (3-0) and North Carolina Central (3-0).
- The Rams are the five-time defending champions of the MW.
- Boise State has yet to defeat Colorado State in eight prior meetings, in fact the Broncos have never won a set against the Rams.
- Preseason All-MW honoree Kelsey Snider leads CSU averaging 3.05 kills per set (128 total) to rank ninth in the league, she is 28th nationally and fourth in the MW for hitting percentage at .409 ... Marlee Reynolds follows at 2.95 kps (12th MW).
- As a team, Colorado State ranks 11th nationally and second in the MW for hitting percentage at .294 ... they lead the conference and are 22nd in the NCAA for kills at 14.19 per set.
- The Broncos enter the week at 7-5 overall after closing non-conference play.
- Last weekend they won the Islanders Classic in Corpus Christi, Texas, by sweeping Incarnate Word (3-0), Omaha (3-0) and Texas A&M Corpus Christi (3-0).
- Boise State is on a four-match win streak, all by 3-0 scores.
- Boise State has been led primarily by its underclassmen during the non-conference season. The top three in kills are freshman Sierra Nobley at 3.69 kills per set, sophomore Maddy O'Donnell at 3.00 kps and senior Alyssa Gammel at 2.26 kps.
- Boise State is ranked in the top 50 nationally in three different categories: hitting percentage at No. 17 (.284 pct), 27th for kills per set (14.0 kps) and 41st in assists per set (12.93).
- The Broncos are third in the MW in all three categories listed above.
- On the year the Broncos are out hitting the opposition 28 percent to 23 percent ... they have out hit their opponents in eight of the 12 matches.
BRONCOS TO WATCH
- The junior setter is Boise State's floor leader dishing out 458 assists through 12 matches for a 10.9 per set average to rank fourth in the MW and 35th nationally.
- Coming off a weekend where she was named the Islanders Classic MVP (Sept. 20) after dishing out 102 assists with six kills, one ace, 20 digs and nine blocks ... led team to tournament title with three sweeps.
- Currently ranked sixth at Boise State in career assists during the rally scoring era with 1,674 and fourth in assists per set at 6.25.
- The sophomore middle blocker is ranked sixth nationally in hitting percentage (.485) and 28th for services aces per set (0.48).
- In the MW rankings she is second in hitting percentage and aces per set, as well as 11th for kills per set at 3.0 and 10th in blocks at 1.09 per set.
- Last week she had 27 kills, three service aces and team-high 12 blocks in three matches earning Islanders Classic All-Tournament honors.
- She is second on the team in kills (99), first in service aces (16) and blocks (36).
- The freshman outside hitter has led the Broncos in kills during nine of the 12 matches to date and has a team-high 155 kills on the year to rank second in the MW and 79th in NCAA for kills per set at 3.69.
- Named to both the Northwest Challenge and Sears Sugar Bear Classic all-tournament teams over the first two weekends.
- Last week led the Broncos in kills with 40 during the three matches to go with three service aces, 24 digs and six blocks, helping Boise State win the Islanders Classic.
- Tied for second among active players in MW for career double-doubles with 25, has one in 2014.
- Was named to the Islanders Classic All-Tournament Team after hitting 30 percent, recording 29 kills along with four assists, one ace, 29 digs, and four blocks.
- Third on team in kills with 95 and second in digs with 100.
- Started year ranked seventh at Boise State during the rally scoring era for total kills (708) ... currently ranked sixth for total kills (780), second for kills per set (3.06), 10th for digs (628).