► What's Happening - The Boise State University will kick-off their 2010 Western Athletic Conference schedule this week, taking on San Jose State (Sept. 23) and Fresno State (Sept. 25). The Broncos will play both teams on the road, their eighth and ninth-straight road games, respectively. Boise State enters the week with a 12-2 record, their best since 2004. They also enter fresh off a tournament win at the NFINITY Wildcat Classic where Sadie Maughan was named MVP. Maughan also earned her first-ever (fourth ever by a Bronco) WAC Player of the Week honor for her efforts in the tournament.
► Internet Coverage - Live stats for the San Jose State match are available at: http://www.sjsuspartans.com/liveStats/liveStats.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5600&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=5600&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=
Live stats for the Fresno State match are available at: http://www.gobulldogs.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wvolley.html?event=906110&school=fres&sport=wvolley&camefrom=&startschool=&
Live video for Fresno State is available at:
► A Look at Boise State:
● Weekly Recap: The Broncos finished their final regular-season tournament on a high note, winning each of their three matches for the tournament title. Sadie Maughan was named tournament MVP, while Breann Nesselhuf joined her on the all-tournament team. For her school-record performance (a .867 hitting percentage against Davidson), Maughan earned her first-ever WAC Player of the Week honor. With the three wins at the NFINITY Wildcat Classic, Boise State moves to nine-straight wins, seven of which were on the road.
● About the Broncos: Boise State enters the weekend with a 12-2 record, their best since 2004. Leading the team offensively is Alisha Young with 171 kills and 215 points. Kersti Whitney has a team-high of 16 service aces, while Breann Nesselhuf has 549 assists on the season. Defensively, Sadie Maughan leads in blocks (54 total), while Amanda Remy leads in digs (159).
● Broncos in the Rankings: The Boise State volleyball team sits among the top-50 teams in the nation in five categories, while three individuals hold top-50 rankings as well. Boise State ranks No. 27 in the nation in match win-loss percentage, No. 34 in hitting percentage, No. 36 in blocks per set and kills per set and No. 39 in assits per set as a team. Individually, junior Breann Nesselhuf ranks No. 13 in the nation in assists per set, while Sadie Maughan sits at No. 29 in hitting percentage and Alisha Young at No. 49 in points per set.
● Boise State Head Coach: Shawn Garus enters his second season at Boise State and currently holds a 137-145 record over his career, as well as a 20-24 record at Boise State.
► Match 15 Preview - at San Jose State:
● The Series: The Broncos and Spartans will meet up for the 21st time, with SJSU holding a 15-5 series lead over Boise State. Although they have less wins in the series, Boise State most recently holds a two-match win streak with 3-1 (Nov. 14) and 3-2 (Sept. 26) wins over the Spartans in 2009.
● About the Spartans: San Jose State enters the week with a 5-8 record on the season. They are led by Hanah Blume who has tallied 128 kills and 132 points this season. Caitlin Andrade has added 438 assists to the offense, while Asia Casino has a team-high of 10 service aces. Courtney Zellmer has added 142 digs, while Alex Akana has rounded up 30 total blocks this season.
● San Jose Head Coach: In his fourth year at SJSU, Oscar Crespo currently holds a 33-68 record, including the team's 5-8 record in 2010.
► Match 16 Preview - at Fresno State:
● The Series: Boise State and Fresno State meet for the 23rd time in history with the Bulldogs having the upper hand with a 15-7 series lead. Most recently, the Bulldogs also hold a two-match win streak, defeating the Broncos 3-2 (Oct. 17) and 3-2 (Oct. 1) in their 2009 matches.
● About the Bulldogs: Fresno State enters the weekend with a 5-6 record and will face Idaho on Thursday before taking on Boise State on Saturday. The Bulldogs are led by Marissa Brand who has 115 kills and 135 points, while Erin Stock leads the team with 10 service aces and 384 assists. Brianna Clarke leads the team in total blocks (57), while Kelly Mason leads the backcourt with 168 digs.
● Fresno State Head Coach: Lauren Netherby-Sewell is in her third year with the Bulldogs and has a 27-43 overall record, including the 5-6 start to the 2010 season.
► Match Club - Boise State volleyball has created a new way for fans to support the Bronco volleyball program. Check out the "Match Club" button on the volleyball page of the www.broncosports.com website for more details.
► All-Tournament Team Members - Alisha Young and Sadie Maughan were named to the 2010 Falcon Invitational All-Tournament Team, while Young and Breann Nesselhuf have been named to the 2010 Northwest Challenge All-Tournament Team. In the Uni/Wyo Cowgirl Classic, Young was joined by Liz Harden and Kersti Whitney on the all-tournament team, while Young also collected MVP honors. Most recently, Maughan was named as the NFINITY Wildcat Classic MVP, while also being joined by Nesselhuf on the all-tournament team.
► WAC Honors - Boise State's Sadie Maughan earned her first-ever WAC Player of the Week honor on Sept. 20 for her efforts during the Sept. 13-19 week. Maughan's honor was only the fourth-ever by a Bronco since joining the WAC.
► WAC Coaches Poll - Boise State was picked to finish fifth in the 2010 WAC Preseason Coaches' Poll in August, earning 35 points. Hawaii was picked to win its 15th-straight WAC title (64 points, 8 first place votes), New Mexico State was picked second (57 pts., one first place vote), Fresno State was picked third (44 pts.) and Utah State was picked fourth (38 pts.) to finish ahead of the Broncos. Rounding out the conference was Idaho in sixth (32 pts.), Nevada in seventh (30 pts.), Louisiana Tech in eighth (30 pts.) and San Jose State in ninth (9 pts.).