Sept. 18, 2014
Bronco Weekly caught up with coach Shawn Garus and Katelyn Kinghorn who recapped their weekend at the Nike Invitational and previewed this weekend's Islanders Classic in Texas, their last preseason tournament before conference play begins next week.
This Week's Schedule and Quick Links for Islanders Classic (Corpus Christi, Texas)
Boise State's Tournament Schedule
- Friday (Sept. 19) at 12:00 p.m. (MT) - Boise State vs. Incarnate Word
- Saturday (Sept. 20) at 10:00 a.m. (MT) - Boise State vs. Omaha
- Saturday (Sept. 20) at 6:00 p.m. (MT) - Boise State at Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Social Media Links
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State hits the road for the third straight week, this time for Corpus Christi, Texas, and the Islanders Classic hosted by Texas A&M Corpus Christi.
- The Broncos will open against the Incarnate Word Cardinals (3-7) at 12 p.m. (all times listed are Mountain) on Friday. This will be the first ever meeting between the two programs.
- Boise State will continue tournament action on Saturday with two matches. The first is against the Omaha Mavericks (4-5) at 10 a.m. This is another first-time meeting for the Broncos.
- The tournament concludes for Boise State Saturday evening when the Broncos face their host the Texas A&M Corpus Christi Islanders (4-7) at 6 p.m. This is the second meeting between the two schools in volleyball.
- Boise State is 1-0 all-time against the three schools the Broncos will play in the tournament. The lone meeting was a Boise State win over TAMUCC in 2006 at Flagstaff, Ariz.
- Both Incarnate Word and Texas A&M Corpus Christi are members of the Southland Conference. Boise State is 1-1 all-time against the current membership of that league.
- Omaha is in the Summit League, the Broncos are 3-1 against its current members.
- This is the third of three consecutive weekends on the road for the Broncos, it also marks the end of the nonconference slate.
- Boise State will open Mountain West Conference play next weekend when they host the top two teams in the league Wyoming (9-1) and No. 8 Colorado State (9-1). The CSU Rams are the five-time defending conference champions.
THE ISLANDERS CLASSIC
- The Islanders Classic is being hosted by the Texas A&M Corpus Christi at the Dugan Wellness Center.
- The tournament starts Thursday night with the first of 10 matches.
- There are a total of six schools competing at the tournament including Houston and Texas-Pan American in which the Broncos will not play.
- The Broncos went 1-2 last week at the Nike Invitational in Moscow, Idaho, falling to Missouri (3-0) and Idaho (3-1), before defeating Eastern Washington (3-0).
- Boise State is being led by underclassmen during the nonconference season. The top three in kills are freshman Sierra Nobley (115), sophomore Maddy O'Donnell (72) and redshirt-freshman Kaitlyn Oliver (71).
- Boise State is ranked 32nd nationally and third in the Mountain West for hitting percentage at .270.
- On the year the Broncos are out hitting the opposition 27 percent to 26 percent.
- Sophomore libero Hannah Hubbard was named to the Nike Invitational All-Tournament Team last week.
BRONCOS TO WATCH
- The sophomore middle blocker is ranked seventh nationally in hitting percentage (.487), 35th for services aces per set (0.52) and 104th for total services aces (13).
- In the MW rankings she is second in hitting percentage and aces per set.
- She had 31 kills, two service aces and 10 blocks in three matches last weekend, including a career-high 22 kills against Idaho (Sept.12).
- She is second on the team in kills with 72 and first in service aces and blocks with 13 and 24, respectively.
- The redshirt-freshman middle blocker is ranked 60th nationally in hitting percentage (.389) and sixth in MW.
- She is second on the team in blocks with 23 and third in kills with 71.
- She was named to the Sears Sugar Bear Classic All-Tournament Team (Sept. 9) while hitting 46.5 percent for 25 kills to go with nine blocks.
- Oliver is the tallest player on the roster standing 6-foot-4.
- The freshman outside hitter has led the Broncos in kills during six of the nine matches to date and has a team-high 115 kills on the year to rank third in the MW for kills per set at 3.48.
- Named to both the Northwest Challenge and Sears Sugar Bear Classic all-tournament teams over the first two weekends.
- Led Boise State last week with 41 kills while hitting 28.6 percent, she also had three blocks.
- The junior setter is Boise State's floor leader dishing out 356 assists through nine matches for a 10.79 per set average to rank fourth in the MW and 38th nationally.
- She has set a career-high in assists this fall with 53 against Tulsa (Sept. 5), then matched that total at Idaho (Sept. 12).
- Currently ranked sixth at Boise State in career assists during the rally scoring era with 1,572 and fourth in assists per set at 6.07.
- Was named to the Northwest Challenge All-Tournament Team (Aug. 30).
ABOUT THIS WEEK'S OPPOSITION
Incarnate Word Cardinals (3-7, 0-0 SLC)
- The Cardinals enter the tournament at 3-7 overall and 2-7 on the road.
- They have won two straight contest over Texas State (3-2) and Gardner-Webb (3-0) last weekend.
- Brittani Dear leads UIW with 97 kills and 20 blocks, followed by Shaina Garza with 86 kills and 98 digs.
- The Cardinals are members of the 13 school Southland Conference where they were picked to place seventh in the 2014 league race.
Omaha Mavericks (4-5, 0-0 Summit)
- The school's official name is University of Nebraska, Omaha.
- The Mavericks are 4-5 overall and 3-3 on the road entering this weekend in Texas.
- Omaha is on a two-match win streak with victories over Air Force (3-2) and Canisius (3-2) last Saturday.
- Kelley Wollak leads the Mavericks with 119 kills, 103 digs and 13 blocks ... Mackenzie Horkey follows with 69 kills, 106 digs and 16 blocks.
- Omaha is a member of the Summit League where they were picked to place ninth.
Texas A&M Corpus Christi Islanders (4-7, 0-0 SLC)
- A&M Corpus Christi enters the week at 4-7 overall and are home for the first time this season.
- The Islanders lost three of four matches last weekend in Los Angeles, including three straight to Loyola Marymount (3-2), Long Beach State (3-0) and Northern Colorado (3-2), their lone win came in the tournament opener against St. Mary's (3-2).
- Brianna Brink leads the Islanders with 148 kills and 28 blocks ... Ashley Phelps is next with 106 kills.
- Texas A&M Corpus Christi is a member of the Southland Conference where they are picked to place third out of 13 teams in 2014.