Boise State redshirt-sophomore Kaitlyn Oliver going for the kill against Idaho State on Sept. 3 in Bronco Gym.
Sept. 16, 2015
GRAND CANYON INVITATIONAL
Sept. 18-20 at Phoenix, Ariz.
Grand Canyon University | Antelope Gymnasium
Friday, Sept. 18
- Match 1: Boise State Vs. Northern Arizona at 4:00 p.m. (Mountain)
- Live Stats | Twitter
Saturday, Sept. 19
Sunday, Sept. 20
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- The Broncos (6-3) will close the nonconference portion of their schedule this week when they travel to Phoenix, Ariz., to participate in the Grand Canyon University Invitational Friday through Sunday.
- Boise State will start with the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (7-3) from the Big Sky at 4 p.m. (all times are Mountain) on Friday.
- The action will continue with the Big West’s UC Riverside Highlanders (4-6) at 4 p.m. Saturday.
- The tournament will conclude on Sunday afternoon when the Broncos take on their host the Grand Canyon Antelopes (2-7) out of the WAC at 2 p.m.
- All three contests will be played in GCU’s Antelope Gymnasium.
- Follow the action: This week only the match versus Grand Canyon will be streamed live. All three matches will have live stats on the Grand Canyon website: http://www.gculopes.com.
Shawn Garus, Head Coach
- Garus currently sits at 215-215 overall in his 15-year career as a collegiate head coach.
- Garus is currently 100-95 at Boise State in his seventh season.
- Garus hit the 100 win milestone at Boise State when the Broncos defeated Abilene Christian 3-0 on Sept. 12.
- Garus ranks second in total wins in program history.
Team Statistical Rankings
- After three weeks the Broncos lead the Mountain West and are ranked high nationally in three statistical categories.
- Hitting percentage of .281 leads the MW and is 19th nationally ... they finished 2014 ranked 24th nationally at .263.
- They average 14.03 kills per set to lead the MW and rank 30th nationally ... they finished last year ranked 17th in NCAA at 14.21 kps.
- Boise State dishes out 13.03 assists per set to lead the MW and rank 37th nationally ... they were 15th nationally at the end of 2014 at 13.25.
Maddi Osburn, Libero
- Sophomore libero Maddi Osburn had a career-night on Sept. 11 at North Texas when she tallied 37 digs to help Broncos win in five sets.
- The 37 digs are the third-most in program history.
- The 37 digs currently rank fourth in the NCAA this year for a five-set match.
Sierra Nobley, Outside Hitter
- Sophomore outside hitter Sierra Nobley has led the Broncos in kills during the eight of the first nine contests of the season.
- She leads the MW and is ranked eighth nationally for kills per set at 4.83.
- Nobley leads the MW and is 10th in NCAA for points per set at 5.25.
- The sophomore outside hitter ranks 44th nationally in total kills.
- She ranks 20th in the nation for attacks per set at 11.93.
Sarah Baugh, Setter
- Senior setter Sarah Baugh currently leads the MW and is 14th nationally in assists per set at 11.39.
- She is second in the MW and 72nd in NCAA for total assists at 353.
- Has been named to both the Boise State Invitational (Sept. 3-5) and the North Texas (Sept. 11-12) All-Tournament Teams.
Kaitlyn Oliver, Middle Blocker
- Redshirt-sophomore Kaitlyn Oliver leads the Broncos and is ninth in the MW for blocks per set at 1.06.
- Oliver ranks second in MW and 35th nationally in hitting percentage at .417.
THIS WEEK’S OPPOSITION
Northern Arizona (7-2, 0-0 Big Sky)
- NAU is a member of the Big Sky Conference where they were picked to place second out of 12 in this year’s league race.
- The Lumberjacks enter the weekend at 7-2 overall with big wins over Loyola Marymount and Virginia Tech.
- Jana Vander Ploeg leads NAU with 163 kills (4.18 kps) and 17 blocks ... Lauren Jacobsen is next with 141 kills (3.62 kps).
- These former Big Sky (1988-95) rivals have met 21 times with the Broncos holding a 13-8 advantage in the series.
- The two last met on Aug. 28, 2009 when NAU defeated Boise State 3-1 in Bronco Gym.
UC Riverside (4-6, 0-0 Big West)
- The Highlanders are members of the Big West Conference where UCR was picked to finished eight out of nine teams.
- UC Riverside enters the week at 4-6 overall ... the Highlanders won its last match 3-0 over Central Michigan in Fresno, Calif.
- Fabiana Rosas leads UCR with 90 kills (3.46 kps) ... Alexis Urbach follows with 83 (2.37 kps).
- This is the first meeting between the two programs.
Grand Canyon (2-7, 0-0 WAC)
- The Grand Canyon Antelopes are members of the Western Athletic Conference where they were projected to place sixth out of eight schools.
- The Antelopes enter the week at 2-7 overall which includes a current two-match win streak with victories last weekend over Charleston Southern (3-2) and Niagara (3-0) in Phoenix.
- Natalie Tardy leads GCU with 90 kills (3.21 kps) and seven blocks ... Jordyn Sanchez is next with 81 kills (2.7 kps).
- This is the second meeting in the series with Boise State winning the first 3-0 on Oct. 7, 2013 in Boise.