Broncos Trek to NFINITY Wildcat Classic in North Carolina
► What's Happening - The Boise State University volleyball team heads to their final regular-season tournament, the NFINITY Wildcat Classic hosted by Davidson College in Davidson, N.C. There the Broncos will face Davidson, Eastern Michigan University and High Point University.
► Tournament Schedule - The two-day, four-team tournament will be held Sept. 17-18 in Belk Arena
Sept. 17 (All Times Mountain)
2:30 pm - Boise State vs. High Point
5 pm - Davidson vs. Eastern Michigan
8 am - Boise State vs. Eastern Michigan
10:30 am - Davidson vs. High Point
2:30 pm - High Point vs. Eastern Michigan
5 pm - Boise State vs. Davidson
► Internet Coverage - Live stats for the tournament will be available at: http://sidearmstats.com/davidson/wvball/ while live video will be available for the Davidson match at: http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/showcase/#liveevents
► A Look at Boise State:
● Weekly Recap: The Broncos come off of a five-match week, earning a 5-0 record with wins over Utah Valley, Weber State, Portland, UT-Arlington and Wyoming. All matches but the Weber State were 3-0 sweeps, while the WSU match went to a 3-1 score. Boise State won the Uni/Wyo Cowgirl Classic title while also putting Alisha Young, Kersti Whitney and Liz Harden on the all-tournament team. Young also picked up the tournament MVP honor.
● About the Broncos: Boise State holds their best record since 2004, sitting at 9-2 currently. The wins already total to more than the team's 2009 season total of eight, showing the growth and success of the team under head coach Shawn Garus. Currently, Young leads the team in kills (143) and service aces (12), while Breann Nesselhuf leads in assists (433). Amanda Remy has added a team-high 129 digs to the season, while Sadie Maughan leads in blocks (43).
● Close Ties: The Broncos head to Shawn Garus' old stomping grounds of North Carolina, landing only an hour away from Garus' former school the University of North Carolina-Greensboro.
● Boise State Head Coach: Shawn Garus enters his second season at Boise State and currently holds a 134-145 record over his career, as well as a 17-24 record at Boise State.
► Match 12 Preview - vs. High Point:
● The Series: This will be the second meeting between the Panthers and Broncos with Boise State holding a 1-0 series lead. In their first and only match-up, Boise State came away with a 3-0 win on Sept. 20, 2003.
● About the Panthers: High Point enters the tournament with a 2-8 record on the season. They are led by Megan Smith in kills (143), Maddie Simpson in assists (281) and Anna Lott in total blocks (38). Audie Gonzalez and Molly Barlow are tied for the team-high of 12 service aces, while Julie Hershkowitz leads the team in digs (181).
● High Point Head Coach: Jason Oliver is in his second year with the Panthers, holding a 19-25 record, including the team's 2010 matches.
► Match 13 Preview - vs. Eastern Michigan:
● The Series: This will be the second meeting between the Eagles and Broncos with Boise State leading the series 2-0. In their first and only meeting, Boise State earned a 3-1 win over the Eagles on Sept. 13, 1996.
● About the Eagles: Eastern Michigan enters the tournament with a 10-1 record, with their only loss coming this past weekend (Sept. 11) against Clemson (1-3). The Eagles are led by Rachel Iaquaniello in kills (154) and service aces (19) while Haley Stein leads in digs (179). Ashley Mason leads the team in assists (415), while Kristen Baker leads in total blocks (30).
● Eastern Michigan Head Coach: Kim Bennington is in her 15th year with the Eagles and holds a 216-224 record, including the team's 2010 matches.
► Match 14 Preview - at Davidson:
● The Series: This will be the second meeting between Davidson and Boise State with the Wildcats leading the series 1-0. In their first and only match, the Wildcats defeated the Broncos 3-2 on Sept. 19, 2003.
● About the Wildcats: Davidson College enters the week with a 5-4 record and will play North Carolina Central on Tuesday before hosting the NFINITY Wildcat Classic. The Wildcats are led by Sarahbeth Peele in kills (80), Hayley Lawson in assists (176) and Jennifer Chamblee in total blocks (82). Lawson and Christine Ptaschinski lead the team in service aces (13), while Jordan Benedict leads in blocks (22).
● Davidson Head Coach: Tim Cowie is in his ninth year at Davison, holding a 118-156 record, including the Wildcats 2010 matches.
► Match Club - Boise State volleyball has created a new way for fans to support the Bronco volleyball program. Check out the "Match Club" button on the volleyball page of the www.broncosports.com website for more details.
► All-Tournament Team Members - Alisha Young and Sadie Maughan were named to the 2010 Falcon Invitational All-Tournament Team, while Young and Breann Nesselhuf have been named to the 2010 Northwest Challenge All-Tournament Team. In the Uni/Wyo Cowgirl Classic, Young was joined by Liz Harden and Kersti Whitney on the all-tournament team, while Young also collected MVP honors.
► WAC Coaches Poll - Boise State was picked to finish fifth in the 2010 WAC Preseason Coaches' Poll in August, earning 35 points. Hawaii was picked to win its 15th-straight WAC title (64 points, 8 first place votes), New Mexico State was picked second (57 pts., one first place vote), Fresno State was picked third (44 pts.) and Utah State was picked fourth (38 pts.) to finish ahead of the Broncos. Rounding out the conference was Idaho in sixth (32 pts.), Nevada in seventh (30 pts.), Louisiana Tech in eighth (30 pts.) and San Jose State in ninth (9 pts.).