Sept. 11, 2013
Courtyard Marriott Bronco Volleyball Classic: Tournament Central
Download complete pdf version
The Last Meeting
August 31, 2012
THIS WEEK IN BRONCO VOLLEYBALL
UPDATE - FREE LIVE VIDEO
This week's three Boise State matches will be streamed live and for free by going to broncosports.com and activating the "Bronco Digital Network" or by going to the Courtyard Marriott Bronco Volleyball Classic tournament page at: http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/bosu-w-volley-classic.html. Play-by-play will be provided by Mike Walsh, assistant sports information director. These productions are a cooperative effort between the Mountain West Network and Bronco Digital Network.
- After spending the first two weeks of the season on the road where they went 3-3 overall, Boise State returns home for the first time this week when it host the Courtyard Marriott Bronco Volleyball Classic this Thursday through Saturday, Sept. 12-14.
- Teams joining the Broncos in the tournament include Idaho (3-4) out of the Western Athletic Conference, North Texas (5-3) from Conference USA and the Big Sky Conference’s Sacramento State (5-2).
- The tournament is a round robin format with everyone playing the other teams once, a total of three matches per team.
- The Black & Blue Match will open the tournament Thursday night at 7 p.m. (all times listed are Mountain) when the Gem State’s two rivals Idaho and Boise State face each other for the first time in three years. This is one of the few head-to-head meetings between the schools this year in sports competitions.
- The tournament will get into full swing on Friday when three matches will be played followed by two on Saturday.
- Boise State’s schedule in the classic is as follows: Thursday at 7 p.m. versus Idaho, Friday afternoon at 4 p.m. versus North Texas, and Saturday at 12:30 p.m. against Sacramento State.
- These will be the final non-conference tune-ups for Boise State heading into the 20-match Mountain West Conference schedule starting Sept. 18.
- Tournament Web Page: Check out the Courtyard Marriott Bronco Volleyball Classic tournament page at BroncoSports.com for all the information you need on live stats and video, parking, times, etc. http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/bosu-w-volley-classic.html
THIS WEEK’S PROMOTIONS
- Thursday: Wear your Bronco Blue for the “Black & Blue Match.”
- Friday: BLUE OUT, anyone wearing blue will get into the match against North Texas for $4. First 50 fans get a free blue t-shirt.
- Saturday: Super Hero Day, Kids (12 and under) get in free if wearing their best super hero costume ... adults with a super hero receive a discounted $4 ticket.
- For Thursday and Saturday parking will be available in Bronco Stadium's west parking lot next to Bronco Gym.
- On Friday with the football game that night volleyball parking available on a limited basis in the Norco lot at the corner of Vermont and Beacon Streets, two blocks south of University Drive. Once again it is limited and is available on a first come, first served basis. Additional overflow parking will be available in the Brady Garage with a shuttle running to the Bronco Stadium parking lot beginning at 3 p.m.
BOISE STATE NOTES
- The Record: Boise State is 3-3 overall heading into its first home matches of the season this weekend.
- Gem State Pride: Boise State is 61-81 all-time against its two in-state rivals Idaho (29-50) and Idaho State (32-31). The Broncos will play Idaho this week but does not play Idaho State this year.
- Against 2012 NCAA Tournament: Boise State is currently 1-2 against teams that went to the 2012 NCAA Tournament: lost to No. 5 Washington, lost at Portland State and defeated Belmont.
- Team Stat Rankings: The Broncos are ranked 43rd nationally in hitting percentage and second in the MW at 27.1 percent.
- The Head Coach: Shawn Garus enters his fifth season in charge of the Broncos where he is 65-67 to go with a career record 180-187.
- League Affiliation: The Broncos are entering their third year as members of the newly expanded Mountain West Conference where they have tied for fifth-place in each of the two previous campaigns.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State was selected to finish seventh out of 11 teams in the 2013 league race by the MW coaches in their preseason poll.
- Winning Seasons: The Broncos are looking to add to their streak of three-consecutive winning seasons in 2013. They went 17-15 in 2012, 16-15 in 2011 and 21-12 in 2010.
- At Home: Thursday will be the Broncos’ first home match of the season. Boise State was hard to beat at home in 2012 going 10-3 in Bronco Gym, including an upset of MW co-champion and NCAA Tournament participant San Diego State.
- On the Road: The Broncos are currently 3-3 on the road, 0-2 on the opponent’s home court and 3-1 on neutral floors.
COURTYARD MARRIOTT BRONCO VOLLEYBALL CLASSIC
TOURNAMENT QUICK NOTES
- The four schools competing in the classic are Boise State, Idaho, North Texas and Sacramento State. It is a round robin format beginning on Thursday, Sept. 12.
- The Broncos will face Idaho (29-50), North Texas (8-0) and Sacramento State (1-4) this week, a trio in which Boise State is a combined 38-54 against all-time.
- This is the first year of this tournament being held in Boise State’s Bronco Gym.
- Live stats will be available via Game Tracker for every match on BroncoSports.com.
- Live video will be available for the three Boise State matches for free on BroncoSports.com.
MATCH 7 VERSUS IDAHO
- This is the 80th meeting since 1978 between these two programs with the Vandals holding a 50-29 advantage in the series.
- Boise State leads the series between these former league rivals in matches played at Boise by a 16-14 margin.
- The Broncos are 45-77 all-time against the current membership of the of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).
- The Vandals enter the contest at 3-4 overall but were swept last weekend losing to CSU Northridge (3-2), at Northern Arizona (3-0) and to MW member San Diego State (3-0).
- Idaho was picked to place second out of nine schools in the 2013 WAC race during the preseason coaches poll.
- The Vandals are led by WAC Preseason Player of the Year Alyssa Schultz with 80 kills and 39 blocks, as well as Jessica Hastriter with 88 kills and nine blocks.
- Idaho returned two starters and seven letterwinners from last year’s 17-14 squad.
MATCH 8 VERSUS NORTH TEXAS
- Boise State and North Texas are former Big Weest Conference rivals (1996-2000) and have met eight times all in league play.
- The Broncos have never lost to UNT holding an 8-0 series lead.
- Boise State is 27-10 against the current membership of Conference USA (CUSA).
- The Eagles are 5-3 entering this week’s competition with an active two match win streak with victories over Northwestern State (3-0) and Texas State (3-1) in Denton, Texas, last weekend to close their home tournament.
- North Texas is led by Camae Dillard with 83 kills and 12 blocks, followed by Courtney Windham with 70 kills and team-high 39 blocks.
- UNT was picked to place fourth out of 15 teams in the 2013 CUSA race.
- They return five starters plus the libero and 12 letterwinners from last year’s team that went 26-12 overall and 14-4 (1st) in Sun Belt Conference action.
MATCH 9 VERSUS SACRAMENTO STATE
- Boise State has met Sacramento State five times previously with the Hornets leading the series 4-1, including three straight.
- Boise State is 150-131 all-time against the current membership of the Big Sky Conference, the Broncos former league from 1988-1995.
- The Hornets are 5-2 heading into the classic this weekend. Last weekend they lost to MW member San Jose State 3-0, defeated Central Connecticut 3-1 and lost to Cal Poly 3-2, all three matches were at home.
- The Big Sky preseason poll had the Hornets picked to finish seventh out of 11 schools.
- Sac State went 12-18 overall and 8-121 (t-7th) in league play last year.
- The Hornets return two starters and eight letterwinners from last year’s team.