Broncos Travel to UC Davis Invitational
Boise State will face Santa Clara, UC Davis and Portland State this weekend.
Sept. 7, 2017
UC DAVIS INVITATIONAL
Friday-Saturday (Sept. 8-9)
Davis, Calif. (The Pavilion)
Friday, Sept. 8
Saturday, Sept. 9
- Match 3: vs. Portland State | noon (Mountain) | Live Stats | No Live Video
WHAT IS HAPPENING THIS WEEK
- Boise State travels to compete in the UC Davis Invitational (Sept. 8-9) in Davis, Calif.
- The field includes Santa Clara, Portland State and the host UC Davis, along with the Broncos.
- All contests will be played at The Pavilion on the UC Davis campus.
- Live video will be limited to the UC Davis matches only.
- Live stats links will be on BroncoSports.com on the main page and volleyball schedule page.
LAST WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Last week the Broncos hosted the Boise State Invitational (Aug. 31-Sept. 2) going 2-1 overall.
- They opened against 10th-ranked BYU falling in a tightly contested three-set affair in which the final two sets went 26-24 with the Broncos having chances to win both before falling 25-19, 26-24, 26-24.
- The second match of the tournament for Boise State was a classic five-set battle with a very good Sacramento State squad in which the Broncos rallied from one set down to win the decisive fifth-set 18-16 ... 17-25, 25-20, 26-24, 23-25, 18-16.
- Seniors Sierra Nobley and Maddi Osburn were both named to the all-tournament team for their efforts.
- Nobley led the Broncos on the weekend with a team-high 73.5 points on 71 kills and five block assists, while hitting 24.4 percent. ... averaged 6.68 kills per set and led the Broncos in kills during all three matches (tied vs Missouri).
- Osburn, a senior libero, recorded a team-high 69 digs to average 6.27 per set and also recorded a service reception rate of .989 on a team-high 95 receptions with only one error.
ABOUT SANTA CLARA
- The Santa Clara Broncos enter the weekend 3-3 overall, all on the road.
- Santa Clara has wins over American (3-2), Georgetown (3-2) and Seattle (3-0).
- SCU is averaging 11.8 kills per set and hitting .202 percent as a team, while holding opponents to .221 percent.
- Santa Clara was picked to place fifth out of 10 in the West Coast Conference 2017 race after returning four starters, the libero and 11 letterwinners from a team that went 16-14 overall last season.
- In the battle of the Broncos, Boise State is 2-4 overall, including a 3-1 home victory over then-17th-ranked Santa Clara in 2016, it was Boise State's first-ever win over a nationally ranked opponent.
ABOUT UC DAVIS
- The UC Davis Aggies enter the week at 4-2 overall with a mid-week encounter with Sacramento State up next.
- The Aggies have earned wins over Eastern Washington (3-1), at UNLV (3-1), Binghamton (3-0) and Niagara (3-0).
- UCD is averaging 13.1 kills per set and hitting .229 percent as a team, while holding opponents to .147 percent.
- UC Davis was picked to place sixth out of nine teams in the 2017 Big West race after returning three starters, the libero and 10 letterwinners from last year's 15-15 team.
- The Broncos are 2-2 all-time versus the Aggies, including a 3-1 victory over UCD last year in Boise.
ABOUT PORTLAND STATE
- The Big Sky Conference's Portland State Vikings enter the tournament at 5-1 overall.
- The Vikings are fresh off the Gonzaga Tournament championship last week recording wins over Nevada (3-1), Arizona State (3-1) and Gonzaga (3-0).
- Portland State is averaging 13.5 kills per set while hitting .279 percent, the Vikings are holding their opponents to .195 percent hitting.
- The Vikings were picked to place fifth of 12 teams in the 2017 conference race after returning five starters, the libero and 10 letterwinners from a squad that went 17-12 overall and 9-7 in league during 2016.
- Boise State is 7-17 all-time versus the Portland State, but have won three straight including a 3-1 victory last fall in Boise.
BRONCOS HOST No. 1 MINNESOTA NEXT WEEK
- The schedule will remain tough for the Broncos who will return home next weekend to host the Boise State Classic featuring No. 1 Minnesota, Oregon State and Idaho State.
NOBLEY SETS SCHOOL KILLS RECORD
- Senior Sierra Nobley set the school career kills record versus No. 10 BYU (Aug. 31) when she tallied 23 against the Cougars pushing her past the old record of 1,510 to 1,530.
NOBLEY TARGETS MW KILLS RECORD
- The next major record Nobley has targeted this fall is the Mountain West Conference's career kills record currently sitting in fourth-place with 1,578, 45 short of tying the record and 46 short of breaking it.