Bronco Women Advance to WAC Championship
BOISE, Idaho It was a record-setting day as the Boise State University women’s tennis team, ranked No. 61 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, advanced to the title match of the Western Athletic Conference Women’s Tennis Championship, April 21, at the Appleton Tennis Center.
The Broncos, the No. 2 seed, advanced to the championship match of the WAC tournament for the first time ever with a 4-0 victory over the third-seeded Aggies of New Mexico State. Boise State also defeated the Aggies of Utah State, the No. 7 seed, 4-0 in the tournament’s opening round.
“These girls have worked hard since the day they got here,” Head Coach Mark Tichenor said. “It was their destiny to be playing in the championship match.”
With the victory, the Broncos improved to 22-3, a Boise State women’s tennis record for most wins in a season. The Broncos have also won 14 consecutive dual matches, nine of which coming via shutout.
“This has been a team effort all season long,” Tichenor said. “It hasn’t been one girl. It has been every girl, all the time. They put in the extra time; they don’t care about individual awards. The only thing they care about is this team.”
Junior Tiffany Coll and freshman Jana Mackova got the Broncos off to a hot start, putting the women in position to clinch the doubles point. The duo knocked off Violaine Rollet and Anne Fagegaltier, 8-2, improving to 16-2 this season and 12-2 this spring.
Seniors Hadley MacFarlane and Megan Biorkman clinched the point for the Broncos with an 8-3 victory over Edine Van Beusekom and Celine du Fosse at the No. 1 position. The victory marks the 30th win of the year for the duo, and extends the Broncos’ consecutive-win streak in doubles competition to 40 matches.
As Mackova contributed to the Broncos’ first victory in doubles, she gave the Broncos their final victory in singles, clinching the dual with a 6-1, 6-3, victory over du Fosse at the fifth position. With her second-consecutive straight-set victory in the WAC tournament, Mackova improved to 26-12 this season.
Biorkman and Coll put the Broncos in position to clinch the dual with victories at the first and sixth positions, respectively. Biorkman dominated at the first position, putting away Isabelle Mignot in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. The win was Biorkman’s second straight-set victory in the WAC tournament, and improved her season record to 22-14. In her first singles match of the weekend, Coll downed Paulina Zuniga in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. She is now 23-4 this season.
Boise State will next host the WAC Championship match, Saturday at noon, at the Appleton Tennis Center. The Broncos will face Fresno State, the tournament’s one seed.
No. 2 Boise State (No. 61 ITA) def. No. 3 New Mexico State -4-0
April 21, 2006
Boise Racquet and Swim Club
1. MacFarlane/Biorkman, BSU def. Van Beusekom/du Fosse, NMSU 8
2. Carroll/Ganzha, BSU vs. Mignot/Fintell, NMSU DNF
3. Coll/Mackova, BSU def. Rollet/Fagegaltier, NMSU 8-2
1. Megan Biorkman, BSU def. Isabelle Mignot, NMSU 6-1, 6-1
2. Hadley MacFarlane vs. Edine Van Beusekom, NMSU DNF
3. Tatiana Ganzha vs. Nicole Fintell, NMSU DNF
4. Alanah Carroll vs. Anne Fagegaltier, NMSU DNF
5. Jana Mackova, BSU def. Celine du Fosse, NMSU 6-1, 6-3
6. Tiffany Coll, BSU def. Paulina Zuniga, NMSU 6-2, 6-1
No. 1 Fresno State (No. 23 ITA) def. No. 4 Nevada 4-0
April 21, 2006
Appleton Tennis Center
1. Winterhalter/Sainz, FSU def. Bailly/Davenport, UNR 8-4
2. Tokarska/Rowe, FSU vs. Bouchlaka/Velez, UNR DNF
3. Haskett/Gloria, FSU def. Bardot/Pham, UNR 8-3
1. Melanie Gloria, FSU def. Caroline Bailly, UNR 6-1, 6-2
2. Kathrin Winterhalter, FSU vs. Myriam Bouchlaka, UNR DNF
3. Lucia Sainz, FSU def. Kristen Davenport, UNR 6-0, 6-0
4. Magda Tokarska, FSU def. Fiorella Velez, UNR 6-0, 6-2
5. Jacqui Haskett, FSU vs. Audrey Bardot, UNR - DNF
6. Bruna Paes, FSU vs. Bach-Lan Pham, UNR - DNF
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- 2017 Ticket Info
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Buy/Sell Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE