Boise State Opens Campaign Hosting Weber State on Friday and Seattle on Sunday
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK
- Boise State opens the 2013 team season this weekend when the Broncos host the Weber State Wildcats (0-1) from the Big Sky Conference and the Seattle Redhawks (0-2) out of the Western Athletic Conference.
- The three teams will play a round-robin with one match on each day Friday through Sunday at Boise State's Boas Indoor Tennis Center on S. Oakland Ave.
Friday (Feb. 1): Weber State vs. Boise State at 5 p.m.
Saturday (Feb. 2): Seattle vs. Weber State at 11 a.m.
Sunday (Feb. 3): Seattle vs. Boise State at 10 a.m.
FOLLOW THE BRONCOS
- On the web at: BroncoSports.com
- On Twitter at: BroncoSportsWTN
- On FaceBook at: Boise State University Women's Tennis
QUICK LOOK AT BOISE STATE
- The Record: While the two opponents have already started their seasons, this will be Boise State's first action of the 2013 campaign. These will be the first two matches of 22 during the season.
- The Broncos at Home: The Broncos will play a total of 10 home matches this season. Boise State went a combined 6-6 last year at both the Boas Indoor Tennis Center (6-3) and Appleton Outdoor Tennis Center (0-3).
- The Broncos on the Road: Boise State has yet to play on the road this year, but went 2-7 away from Boise in 2012.
- Leading Boise State: Boise State has a decent blend of experienced players and talented youth with six members of the 2012 squad returning to go with five newcomers. Look to the seniors Marlena and Manuela Pietzuch, as well as Fiona Mok to provide leadership, backed up by juniors Sandy Vo, Morgan Basil and transfer Anissa Bryant-Swift.
- In the ITA Rankings: Junior Sandy Vo begins the 2013 campaign ranked 98th nationally and sixth in the Mountain Region following a 6-2 singles record this past fall. Marlena Pietzuch enters the season ranked 16th in the region after compiling a team-best 9-3 mark in singles last fall.
- The Coach: Beck Roghaar is in his third season at Boise State where he is 20-25 overall, his career mark is the same.
QUICK LOOK AT WEBER STATE
- The Record: The Wildcats are 0-1 entering the weekend with a 7-0 road loss at BYU on Jan. 20 in Provo, Utah.
- Affiliation / ITA Region: Weber State is a member of the Big Sky Conference and are a ITA Mountain Region opponent for the Broncos.
- ITA Rankings: The Wildcats are not ranked as a team nor do they have anyone ranked in singles or doubles.
- Leading the Wildcats: Weber State has no seniors on its squad this season and will be led by six juniors, five of which opened the season at BYU: Ashley Tanner (1), Thais Kurer (3), Nittaya Phonharath (4), Michelle Warwick (5) and Annika Karlsen (6).
- The Coach: Jonas Ehrlin is in his sixth year at Weber State.
QUICK LOOK AT SEATTLE
- The Record: The Redhawks are 0-2 entering the weekend following a pair of defeats to open the season, a 7-0 to Washington (Jan. 15) and a 4-3 defeat at the hands of Portland State (Jan. 25). They will play at Idaho State on Friday followed by a neutral site match with Weber State in Boise (Boas Indoor Tennis Center) Saturday morning.
- Affiliation / ITA Region: Seattle is a new member of the Western Athletic Conference and are in the ITA's Northwest Region.
- ITA Rankings: None of the Redhawks or the team are ranked by the ITA entering the week.
- Leading the Redhawks: Seattle is led by Anna Lambert (0-2) who has started at No. 1 singles the last two matches. Lindsey Newman (1-1) has been playing No. 2 singles, while Gabriella Weissmann (0-2) has competed at the No. 3 position.
- The Coach: Mark Frisby is in his fifth year at Seattle.