Bobbi Oshiro's court six win clinched the match for Boise State.
March 2, 2014
BOISE, Idaho - Boise State dominated the Idaho State Bengals on Sunday morning defeating the instate rivals 6-1 in a women’s tennis match at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center. Boise State won the doubles point with victories by Megan LaLone and Teal Vosburgh, as well as Anissa Bryant-Swift and Milena Toseva on courts two and three, respectively. The Broncos then put away the Bengals with quick singles victories by Vosburgh, Morgan Basil and Bobbi Oshiro to clinch the match with a 4-0 lead. Boise State improved to 5-6 on the year with the win over Idaho State.
The Broncos took the doubles point winning two of three matches. The first victory went to Idaho State on court one where Marian Tangarife and Laura Theus defeated Boise State’s duo of Basil and Sandy Vo 8-6. However, the Broncos brought home wins in the other matches starting with LaLone’s and Vosburgh’s 8-1 victory on court two. Bryant-Swift and Toseva earned the team doubles point for the Broncos when they tallied an 8-3 victory on court three over the Bengals’ Kasey Bacon and Madelyn Weltzin.
The Blue and Orange wasted little time in extending their advantage when Vosburgh and Basil put away their opponents with two quick victories. Vosburgh downed ISU’s Marian Tangarife in straight sets 6-0, 6-0. Basil was not quite as efficient but tallied a dominant 6-1, 6-0 win against Svenia Tegtmeier to make the team score 3-0 in favor of the home side.
That setup Oshiro’s match clinching victory on court six where she put away Idaho State’s Wiebke Boeckmann 6-1, 6-3. This was Oshiro’s second dual of the spring semester, both wins.
That was followed by Toseva’s two-set win on court four over Laura Theus 6-4, 6-2, making the score 5-0 Broncos. The Bengals cut their deficit momentarily when Kasey Bacon downed Boise State’s Bryant-Swift on court two 6-4, 6-0. The final match of the day went to the Broncos when LaLone handed Madelyn Weltzin a straight set 6-3, 6-4 loss to make the final winning score 6-1.
FINAL MATCH SUMMARY
Idaho State (1-5) at Boise State (5-6)
Mar 2, 2014 at Boise, Idaho (Boas Indoor Tennis Center)
Boise State 6, Idaho State 1
1. Marian Tangarife/Laura Theus (ISU) def. Morgan Basil/Sandy Vo (BSU-W) 8-6
2. Megan LaLone/Teal Vosburgh (BSU-W) def. Wiebke Boeckmann/Svenia Tegtmeier (ISU) 8-1
3. Anissa Bryant-Swift/Milena Toseva (BSU-W) def. Kasey Bacon/Madelyn Weltzin (ISU) 8-3
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Teal Vosburgh (BSU) def. Marian Tangarife (ISU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Kasey Bacon (ISU) def. Anissa Bryant-Swift (BSU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Morgan Basil (BSU) def. Svenia Tegtmeier (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Milena Toseva (BSU) def. Laura Theus (ISU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Megan LaLone (BSU) def. Madelyn Weltzin (ISU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Bobbi Oshiro (BSU) def. Wiebke Boeckmann (ISU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 1,3,6,4,2,5