Teal Vosburgh won in straight sets at No. 2 singles.
Feb. 28, 2014
BOISE, Idaho - Boise State opened “The Battle of Idaho” with a 4-3 loss to Idaho on Friday night in the Boas Indoor Tennis Center. The Broncos battled back from an early 0-2 hole in thanks to victories from Teal Vosburgh and Megan LaLone, but the early deficit proved to be too much for Boise State.
Idaho picked up the doubles point despite Boise State claiming the first doubles victory on court two courtesy of Teal Vosburgh and Megan LaLone winning by a score of 8-3. The Broncos’ brief lead quickly disappeared when Sandy Vo and Morgan Basil dropped their match 8-6 at No. 1 doubles to tie the doubles score at 1-1. Idaho earned the point after Anissa Bryant-Swift and Milena Toseva lost their match to Belen Barcenilla and Sophie Vickers 8-6 on court three.
The Broncos dropped the first singles match when Sandy Vo was defeated by Victoria Lozano, ranked No. 116 nationally, in straight sets 6-3, 6-2. Teal Vosburgh earned the Broncos’ first point of the match when she won 6-2, 6-3 over Almudena Sanz at No. 2 singles.
Boise State drew even with the Vandals at 2-2 after Megan LaLone defeated Beatriz Flores in straight sets 6-2, 6-4 on court six. Unfortunately for Boise State, the 2-2 tie was the closest the Broncos would get before the Vandals pulled away.
Anissa Bryant-Swift lost her match 6-2, 1-6, 6-0 to Galina Bykova at No. 3 singles to give the 3-2 lead back to Idaho. The Vandals sealed the victory when Milena Toseva was defeated by Belen Barcenilla 6-4, 7-5 on court five.
With the match already decided, Morgan Basil won her match 4-6, 7-6 (2), 1-0 (6) over Sophie Vickers at No. 4 singles, making the final score 4-3.
The Broncos are back in action Sunday morning against Idaho State at 10 a.m. in the Boas Indoor Tennis Center.
Idaho (8-1) at Boise State (4-6)
Feb. 28, 2014
Boise, Idaho (Boas Indoor Tennis Center)
Idaho def. Boise State 4-3
1. Almudena Sanz/Victoria Lozano (UI) def. Sandy Vo/Morgan Basil (BSU) 8-6
2. Teal Vosburgh/Megan LaLone (BSU) def. Rita Bermudez/Galina Bykova (UI) 8-3
3. Belena Barcenilla/Sophie Vickers (UI) def. Anissa Bryant-Swift/Toseva (BSU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1. Victoria Lozano(UI) def. Sandy Vo (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Teal Vosburgh (BSU) def. Almudena Sanz (UI) 6-2, 6-3
3. Galina Bykova (UI) def. Anissa Bryant-Swift (BSU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-0
4. Morgan Basil (BSU) def. Sophie Vickers (UI) 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (10-6)
5. Belen Barcenilla (UI) def. Milena Toseva (BSU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Megan LaLone (BSU) def. Beatriz Flores (UI) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,2,6,3,5,4