April 11, 2014
Download pdf version of Boise State notes
- Boise State's sand volleyball program continues its inaugural campaign this weekend when the Broncos travel to Portland, Ore., where they will face the University of Oregon and University of Washington on Saturday at The Courts at Eastmoreland.
- The Broncos will open the day with an exhibition match versus Portland State at 11 a.m. (Mountain) in which only three pairs will compete against the Vikings.
- The action will continue after the PSU contest when Boise State takes on the Oregon Ducks (1-7) at 1 p.m., followed by the Washington Huskies (0-0) at 3 p.m.
- All three programs Boise State, Oregon and Washington are in their first year of sand volleyball and they are the only programs in the Pacific Northwest.
This Week's Bronco Schedule
Saturday (April 12)
11 a.m. Boise State vs. Portland State (exhibition: 3 pairs only)
11 a.m. Oregon vs. Washington
1 p.m. Boise State vs. Oregon
1 p.m. Washington vs. Portland State (3 pairs only)
3 p.m. Boise State vs. Washington
3 p.m. Oregon vs. Portland State (3 pairs only)
Boise State Sand Volleyball Notebook
- Record: After the first weekend of play in program history at the Sacramento State Invitational the Broncos are 2-3 with victories over Cal Poly and Sacramento State, both by 3-2 scores.
- Road Warriors: Boise State will play its entire inaugural season of 11 matches on the road this year, all in the month of April.
- History Makers: The freshmen duo of Izzy Miller and Maddy O'Donnell became the first Boise State tandem to win a match in history. The duo won 21-14, 33-31 at No. 5 pairs in the inaugural match on April 4 against 9th-ranked Saint Mary's pair of Maegan Conroy and Milena Popovic.
- Bronco Leaders: After one weekend the top pair is that of Aly Duffin and Katelyn Kinghorn who went 3-1 in Sacramento playing on courts four and five. They were followed by Casey Rose and Taylor Murphey who went 2-2 playing No. 3 thru 5. In addition, Sarah Horton and Laney Hayes went 2-3 playing primarily No. 2 pairs.
- Roster Experience: About half of the roster has experience playing competitive sand volleyball in high school. Most notable are Hannah Hubbard, Aly Duffin, Sarah Baugh, Sarah Horton and Alyssa Gammel who all played in high school.
- Possible Pairs: Boise State's parings looked like this last week but could change this weekend,
Brittany Reardon / Alyssa Gammel (No. 1)
Sarah Horton / Laney Hayes (No. 2)
Sarah Baugh / Kaitlyn Oliver (No. 3)
Casey Rose / Taylor Murphey (No. 3-4)
Katelyn Kinghorn / Aly Duffin (No. 4-5)
Izzy Miller / Maddy O'Donnell (No. 5)
Sand Volleyball Format
- Sand volleyball is different than the indoor game which plays with a six-women team on the court.
- In the sand they play with five two-women pairs which are ranked according to ability with the No. 1 pair being the best, much like collegiate tennis.
- The winner of the match is the team who wins three or more of the pairs.
- Each individual match played by the pairs is two out of three sets to win. The first two sets go to 21 points with the third, if needed, going to 15 points, all are win by two.