April 15, 2017
STANFORD, Calif. - Boise State’s beach volleyball dropped a pair of matches Saturday at Stanford, Calif., falling 3-2 to the California Bears in the morning before going down 4-1 to 20th-ranked Stanford in the afternoon. The Broncos top three pairs earned splits on the day as Maddy O’Donnell and Maddi Osburn, as well as Janell Walley and Emily Sullivan collected wins against Cal, while Sierra Nobley and Sabryn Roberts recorded the lone victory versus Stanford.
“Overall I thought we competed well but the matches just didn’t go our way,” said head coach Shawn Garus. “They (Cal and Stanford) have played more this season than we have and I think that experience may of come through for them today. But we hung in there for the most part and had some chances that we did not capitalize on. We will learn from this experience today. Now we will need to regroup and look to close the season out strong not week.”
The losses moved Boise State to 5-4 overall on the year after going 1-2 this weekend. The Broncos will close the season next week when they host an exhibition pairs tournament versus Northwest Nazarene, College of Idaho and Southern Idaho on Thursday before traveling to Seattle, Wash., for a pair of contests versus the Huskies on Saturday and Sunday to close the year.
California 3, Boise State 2
Boise State claimed the final two contests of the match with wins by Maddy O’Donnell and Maddi Osburn at No. 1 pair, and by Janell Walley and Emily Sullivan at No. 2, but it was to late for the Broncos as California had the victory clinched up 3-0. The loss moved the Broncos to 5-3 on the year and 1-1 on the weekend at Standford, Calif.
The day started off with Cal claiming the first three matches on courts 3-5. What would prove to be the decisive contest was at No. 3 pair where it was a three-set battle between the Broncos’ Sierra Nobley and Sabryn Roberts versus the Bears’ Camille Stepanof and Bryce Bark. The Boise State tandem won the first set 21-18, but could not get the second win as Cal’s duo came back to claim the match 18-21, 21-18, 15-11 to clinch.
That was followed by Boise State’s wins at courts one and two. O’Donnell and Osburn put away Cal’s top pair of Jessica Gaffney and Mia Merino in straight sets 21-13, 21-17.
Walley and Sullivan also dispatched their opponents at No. 2 pair winning in two sets 21-18, 21-16 over Grace Campbell and Olivia Rodberg.
Stanford 4, Boise State 1
Sierra Nobley and Sabryn Roberts tallied a three-set victory at No. 3 pair to lead Boise State, but the Broncos came up on the short end of a 4-1 score to Stanford on Saturday afternoon.
The Cardinal took the first two matches at No. 4 and 5 pairs in two sets, before Nobley and Roberts put the Broncos on the scoreboard. The Boise State tandem defeated Stanford’s Morgan Hentz and Caitlin Keefe 21-17, 17-21, 15-12 to make the team score 2-1.
The clinching point for Stanford came at No. 1 pair where Kathryn Plummer and Jenna Gray defeated Boise State’s Maddy O’Donnell and Maddi Osburn 21-18, 21-11.
The No. 2 pair was a battle before it ended up going to the home side as the Broncos’ Emily Sullivan and Janell Walley rallied from one set down to tie it, only to fall in the third losing 21-13, 14-21, 16-14.
April 15, 2017 at Stanford, Calif.
Cal def. Boise State 3-2
1. Maddy O’Donnell/Maddi Osburn (BSU) def. Jessica Gaffney/Mia Merino (Cal) 21-13, 21-17
2. Emily Sullivan/Janell Walley (BSU) def. Grace Campbell/Olivia Rodberg (Cal) 21-18, 21-16
3. Camille Stepanof/Bryce Bark (Cal) def. Sierra Nobley/Sabryn Roberts (BSU) 18-21, 21-18, 15-11
4. Iya Lindahl/Nicole Anderson (Cal) def. Jaymee-Lee Bulda/Laney Hayes (BSU) 21-11, 21-15
5. Bridget Gustafson/Teya Neff (Cal) def. Jensen Allen/Cassedi Simon (BSU) 21-12, 21-11
Exh. Madison Deuck/Abby Waldburger (Cal) def. Skye Southwick/Kenna Hanses (BSU) 21-12, 21-13
Stanford def. Boise State 4-1
1. Kathryn Plummer/Jenna Gray (Stan) def. Maddy O’Donnell/Maddi Osburn (BSU) 21-18, 21-11
2. Ivana Vanjak/Payton Chang (Stan) def. Emily Sullivan/Janell Walley (BSU) 21-13, 14-21, 16-14
3. Sierra Nobley/Sabryn Roberts (BSU) def. Morgan Hentz/Caitlin Keefe (Stan) 21-17, 17-21, 15-12
4. Catherine Raquel/Shannon Richardson (Stan) def. Jaymee-Lee Bulda/Laney Hayes (BSU) 21-8, 21-12
5. Courtney Bowen/Kat Anderson (Stan) def. Jensen Allen/Cassedi Simon (BSU) 21-12, 21-19
Exh. Chelsea Red-Horse Mohl/Jennifer DiSanto (Stan) def. Skye Southwick/Kenna Hanses (BSU) 23-25, 21-17, 15-8