Aly Duffin and Maddy O'Donnell won two matches Saturday.
April 12, 2014
PORTLAND, Ore. - Boise State sand volleyball took care of business on Saturday sweeping three matches over Portland State 2-1, Oregon 3-2 and Washington 3-2 at The Courts at Eastmoreland in Portland, Ore. While the Portland State match was an exhibition, the two against the Pacific 12 Conference Ducks and Huskies count and improved the Broncos to 4-3 overall, including a three-match win streak, in their inaugural year of the sport. The tandem of junior Aly Duffin and freshman Maddy O’Donnell led the Broncos with wins against both Oregon and Washington at No. 5 pairs, while the other four pairs split in those two contests.
"I am really proud with the way we competed today, especially against the two Pac-12 schools," said head coach Shawn Garus. "Everyone on the team had a quality win today and everyone contributed to the success in our second week. Both Oregon and Washington have talented indoor teams and for us to win both will do alot for our confidence."
Portland State Recap
The day opened with the exhibition match against the Portland State Vikings in a three pair contest. The Vikings are not recognized by the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) as one of the 42 schools sponsoring sand volleyball this spring, so the match was an exhibition.
The freshmen duo of Izzy Miller and Laney Hayes played two of the three matches against PSU for the Broncos. They split the matches falling in three sets 23-21, 12-21, 15-8 at the No. 1 pairs, then won at the No. 2 pairs in straight sets 21-15, 21-14. The No. 3 pairs was played by Casey Rose and Kaitlyn Oliver where they won in two sets 21-19, 21-17.
The second match of the day was against the host school in the Oregon Ducks. Both teams came off wins in the first round as the UO defeated Washington 4-1. The Broncos defeated Oregon by getting wins at No. 1, 2 and 5 pairs. Alyssa Gammel and Brittany Reardon earned their first win of the season playing on court one over Canace Finley and Tatum Norton 21-19, 21-16. The duo has had the toughest schedule to date playing at the top position in every match this season.
Sarah Horton and Sarah Baugh playing together for the first time collected a three-set victory at No. 2 pairs rallying from one set down to defeat Oregon’s Kacey Nady and Natalie Bookout Gonzlalez 27-29, 21-18, 15-6. The third tandem to earn a win against the Ducks was O’Donnell and Duffin who won easily in straight sets 21-10, 21-13. The teams of Rose and Oliver at No. 3 pair, as well as Taylor Murphey and Katelyn Kinghorn at No. 4 both fell in straight sets to make the final score 3-2 Broncos.
The sweep was complete when Boise State defeated the Washington Huskies 3-2 in the final match of the day. Leading the Broncos were Rose and Oliver on court three where they were forced to rally from one set down to get the win in three sets over the Huskies’ Melanie Wade and Katy Beals 9-21, 21-15, 15-10.
Murphey and Kinghorn recorded their first win as a team with a two-set victory 21-17, 21-12 over Carly Dehoog and Justice Magraw at No. 4 pairs. O’Donnell and Duffin remained perfect on the day when they earned their second straight-set win at No. 5 pairs putting away Lianna Sybeldon and Jade Finau 21-14, 21-19. Gammel and Reardon fell in three-sets at No. 1 pairs 21-15, 14-21, 15-12, while Horton and Baugh went down 21-17, 21-18 on court two.
April 12, 2014 at Portland, Ore. (The Courts at Eastmoreland)
Hosted by the University of Oregon
Boise State 2, Portland State 1
1. Katie O’Brien/Valerie Hughes (PSU) def. Izzy Miller/Laney Hayes (BSU), 23-21, 12-21, 15-8
2. Izzy Miller/Laney Hayes (BSU) def. Cara Olden/Leigh-Ann Haataja (PSU), 21-15, 21-14
3. Casey Rose/Kaitlyn Oliver (BSU) def. Cheyne Corrado/Shelbi Miyashiro (PSU), 21-19, 21-17
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
Boise State 3, Oregon 2
1. Alyssa Gammell/Brittany Reardon (BSU) def. Canace Finley/Tatum Norton (UO), 21-19, 21-16
2. Sarah Horton/Sarah Baugh (BSU) def. Kacey Nady/Natalie Bookout Gonzlalez (UO), 27-29, 21-18, 15-6
3. Liz Brenner/Shellsy Ashen (UO) def. Casey Rose/Kaitlyn Oliver (BSU) 21-16, 21-14
4. Amanda Benson/Martenne Bettendorf (UO) def. Taylor Murphey/Katelyn Kinghorn (BSU), 21-19, 22-20
5. Maddy O’Donnell/Aly Duffin (BSU) def. Naya Crittenden/Serena Warner (UO), 21-10, 21-13
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 4, 1, 2
Boise State 3, Washington 2
1. Cassie Strickland/Kaleigh Nelson (UW) def. Alyssa Gammell/Brittany Reardon (BSU), 21-15, 14-21, 15-12
2. Krista Vansant/Kim Condie (UW) def. Sarah Horton/Sarah Baugh (BSU), 21-17, 21-18
3. Casey Rose/Kaitlyn Oliver (BSU) def. Melanie Wade/Katy Beals (UW), 9-21, 21-15, 15-10
4. Taylor Murphey/Katelyn Kinghorn (BSU) def. Carly Dehoog/Justice Magraw (UW), 21-17, 21-12
5. Maddy O’Donnell/Aly Duffin (BSU) def. Lianna Sybeldon/Jade Finau (UW), 21-14, 21-19
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1