April 4, 2015
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Saturday was a busy day for Boise State sand volleyball in Sacramento, Calif., as the Broncos split a pair of matches defeating California 3-2 followed by a 3-2 loss to Cal Poly. Boise State's No. 2 pair of Sarah Baugh and Sierra Nobley remain undefeated at 4-0 on the weekend sweeping both matches Saturday against Golden Bears and Mustangs. The freshmen tandem of Jaymee-Lee Bulda and Maddi Osburn also won both contests today playing on court five and are 3-1 over the last two days.
"Overall I am pleased with the progress we are making as a team," said coach Shawn Garus. "We played well against Cal and had a couple of big wins at four and five pairs that gave us momentum early. Sarah (Baugh) and Sierra (Nobley) continue to play well for us and have now won five straight matches with the two today. I was a little disappointed with how the Cal Poly match ended, we did not capitalize on our opportunities and it slipped away from us. But we will learn from it and come out hard tomorrow against Pacific and Sac State."
Boise State improved to 3-6 overall with Saturday's split and is 3-1 this week in Sacramento. The Broncos will conclude the trip to northern California with a doubleheader on Sunday against Pacific and their host Sacramento State.
The day began with a morning encounter with the Cal Golden Bears as the Broncos claimed the victory in the first ever meeting between the programs. Both matches on Saturday went down to the final pairs to be decided. For the first match versus Cal, Boise State earned wins on courts two, four and five to claim the win.
Bulda, a Sacramento native, and Osburn battled through three sets at No. 5 pairs before claiming a 21-10, 17-21, 17-15 victory. Playing at the same time were Laney Hayes and Taylor Murphey on court four where they downed their Golden Bear opponents with ease in straight sets 21-11, 21-9. The victories gave Boise State the early 2-0 lead over Cal.
"I am really pleased with how well Jaymee-Lee (Bulda) and Maddi (Osburn) have played this weekend as a pair," commented Garus. "They were kind of thrown in together once we heard Kaitlyn Oliver would be out this weekend. They did not have the opportunity to practice together much before we left to come down here on Thursday. But they have responded well and have been solid for their first time out as a pair."
The Golden Bears fought back claiming wins on courts one and three. For the Broncos the decisive match came on court two where Baugh and Nobley tallied a two-set 21-15, 21-15 win over Bryce Bark and Emily Shults that clinched the team victory.
In the second match of the day Boise State came up on the short end of a 3-2 score at the hands of the Cal Poly Mustangs. The defeat snapped a three match win streak for the Blue and Orange.
Boise State recorded a pair of wins on courts two and five. Bulda and Osburn dispatched Cal Poly's Casey Carroll and Shannon Fouts in a tightly contested two sets 23-21, 21-18. That was followed by a three-set battle at No. 2 pair where Baugh and Nobley rallied from one set down to put away the Mustangs' Nicole Kessler and Caihla Petiprin for a 17-21, 21-13, 15-13 victory.
Saturday, April 4, 2015
at Sacramento, Calif. (Sacramento State)
Match 8: Boise State (3-5) def. California (4-9) 3-2
1. Sarah Cole/Emily Lunt (UC) def. Hannah Hubbard/Maddy O'Donnell (BSU) 21-17, 23-21
2. Sarah Baugh/Sierra Nobley (BSU) def. Bryce Bark/Emily Shults (UC) 21-15, 21-15
3. Inanna Eshoo/Katie Regalia (UC) def. Katelyn Kinghorn/Aly Duffin (BSU) 25-23, 23-21
4. Laney Hayes/Taylor Murphey (BSU) def. Teya Neff/Allison Leong (UC) 21-11, 21-9
5. Jaymee-Lee Bulda/Maddi Osburn (BSU) def. Ashley Johnson/Sabrina Blackwell (UC) 21-10, 17-21, 17-15
Match 9: Cal Poly (1-7) def. Boise State (3-6) 3-2
1. Taylor Nelson/Raeann Greisen (CP) def. Hannah Hubbard/Maddy O'Donnell (BSU) 22-20, 21-15
2. Sarah Baugh/Sierra Nobley (BSU) def. Nicole Kessler/ Caihla Petiprin (CP) 17-21, 21-13, 15-13
3. Taylor Gruenewald/ Anna Gorman (CP) def. Katelyn Kinghorn/Aly Duffin (BSU) 21-13, 22-20
4. Katie Conroy/ Hannah Schleis (CP) def. Laney Hayes/Taylor Murphey (BSU) 18-21, 21-11, 15-6
5. Jaymee-Lee Bulda/Maddi Osburn (BSU) def. Casey Carroll/Shannon Fouts (CP) 23-21, 21-18