Broncos Fall 7-1 to No. 3 UCLA in NCAA Tournament...
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (11/13/2009) - The Boise State Broncos fell 7-1 to No. 3 UCLA in the first round of the NCAA Soccer Tournament in Los Angeles, Calif., Friday night. After the Broncos took an early lead on a Maureen Fitzgerald goal in the 7th minute, the Bruins rallied with a dominating performance to score seven unanswered goals to advance into the second round of the tournament.
Boise State opened the scoring early with a strike in the 7th minute. A long ball was played down field to Molly Hill who drove it into the box where she played a pass to Shannon Saxton on the right side. Saxton turned and passed it back to the top where Fitzgerald was waiting. The freshman followed by launching a high arcing shot from 16 yards out into the upper left corner for the 1-0 lead.
However that score seemed to wake the third-ranked Bruins up. UCLA countered quickly with a pair of Sydney Leroux goals in the 13th and 16th minutes, on the day she would score four goals. The first UCLA score was the result of a series of perfect one touch passes that cumulated with Leroux volleying a cross in from eight yards out into the left side of the net. The second strike was a shot from the top of the box that found the inside of the right post.
UCLA extended its advantage in the 24th minute when Lauren Cheney was rewarded with another series of solid one touch passing resulting with her scoring from 11yards out. UCLA took the 3-1 lead into the half.
The second period was all UCLA as Leroux scored two quick goals to put an end to any doubt about the final outcome.
The Broncos played hard throughout the game but UCLA’s speed and experience was to much for Boise State today. The Bruins finished the game with three goals in the first half and four in the second. Held the Broncos to one shot in the final 45 minutes and out shot Boise State 13-to-2 in shots on goal throughout the 90 minutes of action.
The loss brings an end to Boise State’s best season in history as its finishes with 13-7-4 overall mark. The bulk of this squad will return next year with 21 of the 28 players being either freshmen or sophomores.
Final Game Summary
Boise State (13-7-4) vs. #3 UCLA (18-2-1)
Nov 13, 2009 at Los Angeles, Calif.
NCAA Tournament, First Round
Weather: Clear, cool
Goals by period 1 2 Tot
Boise State......... 1 0 - 1
UCLA................ 3 4 - 7
1. 6:16 BSU Fitzgerald, Maureen (3) (Saxton, Shannon) - shot from top of box to upper left corner
2. 12:12 UCLA Sydney Leroux (16) (Lauren Cheney;Chelsea Cline) - shot in box after cross from 8
3. 15:10 UCLA Sydney Leroux (17) (Lauren Cheney) - shot from top of box
4. 23:43 UCLA Lauren Cheney (14) (Chelsea Cline;Lauren Wilmoth) - close-range shot after cross from 11
5. 47:17 UCLA Sydney Leroux (18) (unassisted) - made run on right side and finished
6. 51:31 UCLA Sydney Leroux (19) (Lauren Wilmoth;Kristina Larsen) - shot from close-range in box
7. 59:14 UCLA Lauren Cheney (15) (Chelsea Cline) - tapped in on left side from close-range
8. 86:24 UCLA Liz Zadro (3) (Iman Bearde;Sophie Metz) - tap-in from close range after cross fr. 24 on left
Shots: Boise State 3, UCLA 24
Saves: Boise State 6 (Ruiz, Liz 3; Burns, Jennifer 3), UCLA 1 (Chante’
NCAA 1st Round - UCLA advances to face winner of USD/SDSU
Sydney Leroux tied UCLA record for single-game goals w/ 4
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- About Us
- Athletic Director
- Mission Statement
- Broadway Bridge Project Map
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- Bowl Tickets
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Buy/Sell Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE