Draw Leaves Postseason in Balance
Oct. 30, 2015

Final Stats

LOGAN, Utah - Double overtime was not enough to determine a winner between Boise State and Utah State Friday, in the regular-season finale for both squads and as a result the teams will wait until late into the night to know if they advance to the Mountain West Championship. The Broncos and Aggies tied 1-1, scoring just 33 seconds apart from each other early in the second half.

A tense first half saw each side play with control and momentum for long stretches but neither could find the back of the net. Both teams put three shots on goal and Boise State (7-9-4, 5-5-1 MW) took four corner kicks.

Utah State (10-8-2, 5-5-1 MW) controlled the beginning of the match, putting three shots on goal in the first 22 minutes. Enter Bronco senior Kelsey Nicassio as a target forward. Nicassio entered the match in the 20th minute and made an immediate impact. Boise State played off of her in the attack and her long-rage free kick ability put the Broncos in threatening positions.

Nicassio stayed in the lineup as the second half began and ultimately scored the Boise State goal. In the 49th minute she blasted a header past the keeper in the middle of the goal for her second tally of the season. It was another substitute who set up the scoring opportunity.

Jessie Vogel, who missed the previous two matches, came off the bench in the first half and started the second period. Vogel, a sophomore who has logged more than 2500 minutes at center back, played in the midfield and made a long run down the right flank. She sent a centering pass to the middle of the box that was deflected high in the air. Nicassio sprinted in from outside the penalty area and leapt just short of the six-yard box, putting everything she had behind a powerful shot that Aggie goalkeeper Jeannie Woller had no chance to save. Vogel was credited with an assist, the first point of her career.

The celebration did not last long.

Utah State took the kickoff and tore down the field toward the Bronco goal. A series of touches left the ball at the foot of Aggies leading scorer Jessica Brooksby in the middle of the field. The stretched out Bronco back line left an alley in the middle of the goal for Brooksby to wind up from distance and rifle a shot into the net, her 12th goal of the season.

From there the goalkeepers stole the show. Each keeper made four saves in the second half. The Broncos had a corner kick and a free kick in the closing minutes of regulation, but Woller thwarted both opportunities.

Once the match reached overtime, Bronco sophomore goalie Janelle Flores took over the starring role. Just two minutes into the first extra period Utah State had a run down the left wing that became a one-on-one chance. Flores came off her line and dove on top of the ball before Katie Flynn could get it off her foot. It was the first of two miraculous season-extending saves Flores made after regulation. She also claimed a corner kick in each extra period.

It is the first time the Broncos have played to a stalemate in conference action in 21 MW matches. The last conference draw came Nov. 1, 2013, the Broncos’ last trip to Utah State.

The Broncos can still claim a spot in next week’s Mountain West Championship, but it will be decided in Colorado and Nevada. Colorado College and UNLV each play late Friday, and a variety of results would give the Broncos one of the final two tournament seeds. A number of results would also leave Boise State out.

» «