Boise State (6-5, 0-0 Mountain West) at Syracuse (11-1, 0-0 Big East)
Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012 at 11 a.m. (Mountain)
Radio: KTIK AM 1350
- THIS WEEKEND: Boise State (6-5) hits the road for the first time in nearly a month when the Broncos travel across the country to the east coast for an encounter with the No. 30 ranked Syracuse Orange (11-1) Sunday at 11 a.m. (Mountain) in Syracuse, N.Y.
- BOISE STATE'S RECORD: The Broncos enter the week at 6-5 overall, 3-3 at home and 3-2 on the road.
FOLLOW THE BRONCOS
- RADIO: All of the Broncos' games will be carried live on the radio at KTIK (AM 1350) with Chris King providing the play-by-play, broadcasts begin at the top of the hour unless otherwise noted.
- LIVE STATS: Live stats are available for all home games at BroncoSports.com by utilizing the "multimedia" link. For road games please refer to the host school's web site.
- INTERNET AUDIO: Live audio is available at no cost for all Boise State home and road games by utilizing the "multimedia" link at BroncoSports.com.
- INTERNET VIDEO: Live video is available for Bronco home games which includes the audio feed on BroncoSports.com, but requires a subscription.
- THE SERIES: Sunday's game will be the second meeting all-time in the series which includes a 70-47 Syracuse victory in Boise last year (Nov. 29, 2011).
- VERSUS THE BIG EAST ALL-TIME: Boise State is 1-2 all-time against the current membership of the Big East Conference. The Broncos are 1-0 versus Marquette, while going 0-1 against Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
- RECENTLY FOR BOISE STATE: The Broncos just wrapped up a four game homestand where they went 2-2 capped by a 52-50 win over South Dakota the last time out on Dec. 22.
- SYRACUSE'S RECORD: The Orange are currently ranked 30th in the USA Today Sports Top 25 Coaches' Poll based on their 11-1 overall record.
- RECENTLY FOR SYRACUSE: The Orange have won four straight including a 64-51 home victory over Washington State their last time out on Dec. 21.
- BRONCOS AT HOME: The Broncos are 3-3 in home games this year in Taco Bell Arena. They finished last year 10-7 overall at home, their all-time mark is now 257-135 (.656 pct.) since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- BRONCOS ON THE ROAD: Boise State is currently 3-2 on the road this year including a 77-70 loss to San Diego and a 71-64 win over UMKC at the Air Force Classic (Nov. 30-Dec. 1) in its last two road games. The Broncos went 5-9 on the road last year, 4-8 on the opponents home court, 1-1 on neutral floors (MW tournament).
- ORANGE AT HOME: Syracuse is currently 5-0 at home in 2012-13, which includes its current active four-game win streak overall.
- LEADING THE BRONCOS: Boise State is led by senior forward Lauren Lenhardt ranked fifth in the MW averaging 14.9 points and 7.4 rebounds (3rd MW) per game. She was named MW Player of the week for the first two weeks of the season. Junior guard Brandi Henton is adding 9.0 ppg and 3.7 rpg.
- LEADING THE ORANGE: Kayla Alexander leads the Orange in both scoring and rebounding at 20.0 points (2nd BEC / 18th NCAA) and 8.8 boards (5th BEC) per game, she is also second nationally in blocked shots per game at 4.0. Carmen Tyson-Thomas is second on the team in scoring at 10.6 ppg.
- COMPARING THE TEAMS: Boise State features the MW's fifth ranked scoring offense at 66.1 points and 41.5 rebounds (4th MW) per game, against Syracuse's offense averaging 75.8 pgg (5th BEC / 17th NCAA) and 45.6 rpg (2nd BEC). Defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 65.5 ppg (6th MW) while the Orange allow 51.7 ppg (5th BEC / 33rd NCAA).
- PRESEASON POLLS: Boise State was picked to place seventh out of nine teams in the 2013 Mountain West race, while Syracuse was selected seventh out of 15 schools in the Big East Conference's coaches poll.
- THE COACHES: Quentin Hillsman is in his seventh season at Syracuse where he is 131-81 (.618), his career record is the same and he is 1-0 versus Boise State. Gordy Presnell is in his eighth season at Boise State where he is 131-99 (.570 pct.), 527-226 (.700 pct.) in 25+ seasons all-time, he is 0-1 versus Syracuse.
BREAKING DOWN THE BRONCOS
- BOISE STATE'S NCAA TEAM STATISTICAL RANKINGS: Offensively, the Broncos are ranked in the top 100 nationally for scoring offense 67.5 ppg (87th) and free throw percentage at 74.9 percent (35th). Last NCAA rankings were 12/16/2012.
- SCORING OFFENSE RANKED: Boise State's scoring offense is ranked fifth in the Mountain West averaging 66.1 points per game.
- BOISE STATE RECORD WHEN: Boise State has scored 80 points twice this year going 2-0 in those games. They have been over 70 points six times with a 5-1 record. The Broncos are 1-4 when scoring 63 points or below.
- TOP SCORERS: Lauren Lenhardt has three double-doubles on the year to tie for second in the MW this season. She leads the team averaging 14.9 ppg to rank fifth in the MW. Brandi Henton is second on the team for scoring averaging 9.0 ppg.
- STARTING LINEUPS: Boise State has featured five different starting lineups who have combined to score 58.3 percent of the team's points on the year, 38.5 ppg. Eight different Broncos have started at least once.
- THE BENCH: The Bronco bench averages 27.5 ppg (41.7 pct.). They have out scored the opponents' bench in seven of 11 contests and by an average of seven points per game.
FIELD GOAL SHOOTING
- CONFERENCE FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE RANK: The Broncos are fifth in the Mountain West for field goal percentage at 37.6 percent on the season. The season high is 51.8 percent against Carroll College (Dec. 9).
- CONFERENCE 3-PT FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE RANK: From the 3-point arc Boise State is seventh in the MW at 27 percent with a season high of 38.5 percent (10-26) at Utah Valley.
- TOP FIELD GOAL SHOOTERS: Amber Vandiver leads the team in field goal shooting at 48.3 percent (25-55), Vandiver has not taken enough shots to be ranked. Lauren Lenhardt follows hitting 46.1 percent (59-128) to rank fifth in MW.
- THREE-POINT SHOOTING: Seven Broncos have hit at least one 3-pointer this year led by Brandi Henton with 16, followed by Diana Lee with 12 and Lauren Lenhardt and Erica Martinez with 11 each.
- TOP THREE-POINT SHOOTERS BY PERCENTAGE: Erica Martinez leads the team and is ranked 11th in the MW for 3-point percentage at 32.4 percent (11-34), Diana Lee is second and ranked 12th in the league hitting 31.6 percent (12-38) from beyond the arc.
FREE THROW SHOOTING
- CONFERENCE FREE THROW PERCENTAGE RANK: Boise State is first in the MW for free throw shooting on the season converting on 75.2 percent (155-206).
- BOISE STATE'S RECORD WHEN: The Broncos have shot a better free throw percentage than opponents in nine of 11 contests this year, they are 6-3 in those games.
- FREE THROW SHOOTING: The Broncos have hit 75 percent or better seven times with a season high 95.5 percent (21-22) versus San Diego on Nov. 30.
- TOP FREE THROW SHOOTERS: Six Broncos are hitting 70 percent or better from the free-throw line with three above 80 percent led by Diana Lee at 100 percent (15-15), Miquelle Askew at 86.7 percent (39-45) and Brandi Henton at 83.3 percent (15-18).
- FREE THROW STREAK: Diana Lee has a streak of 20 straight free throws going, hitting all 15 attempts this season, as well as the last five from 2011-12 dating back to Dec. 17, 2011, at Eastern Washington when she missed the first of two free throws with 41 seconds left in the game.
- SCORING DEFENSE RANK: Defensively, the Broncos are sixth in the MW for scoring defense giving up 65.5 points per game.
- FIELD GOAL DEFENSE RANK: The Broncos are fifth in the league for field goal defense allowing opponents to shoot 38.7 percent.
- THREE-POINT FIELD GOAL DEFENSE: Boise State is sixth in the MW for 3-point defense allowing opponents to shoot 31.6 percent from beyond the arc.
- MISCELLANEOUS DEFENSIVE RANKINGS: Boise State is tied for eighth in the MW for blocks at 2.4 per game, sixth in steals at 7.5 spg and fourth in turnovers forced at 17.2 per game.
- REBOUNDING OFFENSE RANK: On the glass Boise State is fourth for rebound offense averaging 41.5 per game.
- REBOUNDING DEFENSE RANK: In rebound defense the Broncos hold opponents to 39.9 rebounds per game to rank fourth in the MW.
- THE BRONCOS' RECORD WHEN: Boise State has won the battle on the glass six times in 11 games this season. They are 5-1 when out rebounding the opponent.
- LENHARDT HITS 1,000: Boise State senior forward Lauren Lenhardt is the 16th Bronco all-time to reach the 1,000 career point milestone. Lenhardt hit 1,000 on Nov. 30 when she scored 10 against San Diego on the first day of the Air Force Classic. She now sits in 12th-place with 1,063 points and needs to reach 1,076 to move into sole possession of 11th.
- LENHARDT JOINS ELITE CLUB: Lauren Lenhardt became the 10th member of the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club on Dec. 16 when she grabbed three boards against Portland to move her from 499 to 502 career rebounds.
- LENHARDT REACHES 500 REBOUNDS: Lauren Lenhardt became the 18th Bronco to reach the 500 career rebound milestone when she recorded three against the Portland Pilots on Dec. 16. She now stands at 502 career boards.
- LEE DISHING IT OUT: Diana Lee has dished out an impressive 54 assists (3rd MW) over the first 11 games and only given up 23 turnovers. She is leads the MW and ranks 10th nationally (Dec. 16) in assist-to-turnover ratio at 2.3.