Broncos Host Utah State in MW Opener
Boise State opens Mountain West play at home Thursday against the Aggies.
Dec. 28, 2016
NEXT UP FOR WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
Boise State Notes
Follow the Broncos On Social Media
A QUICK LOOK AT UTAH STATE GAME
- The Game: Boise State (10-1) opens Mountain West Conference play this Thursday night at home against the Utah State Aggies (7-4) at 7 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Next Up: The Broncos will travel to Fort Collins, Colo., for a 2 p.m. (MT) encounter Saturday afternoon against the Colorado State Rams (8-4) in Moby Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games throughout the season. Chris Lewis is in his fourth season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
- Watch Live: The game will be broadcast live on the internet via the Mountain West Network on BroncoSports.com.
- Boise State is coming off a pair of home victories over Portland (74-60) and Hawaii (61-49) to close nonconference play with the program’s best pre-conference record in history 10-1.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads Boise State averaging 14.7 points per game (6th MW) ... Shalen Shaw adds 11.9 points (14th MW) and team-high 7.3 rebounds (8th MW) per game.
- Boise State ranks 17th nationally in 3-point percentage at .388 and is eighth in 3-pointers made per game at 9.5 ... the Broncos average 74.8 points per game, first in the Mountain West and 53rd nationally.
- The USU Aggies are 7-4 overall and have lost two straight to BYU (60-40) in Logan and at Arizona (61-57).
- Utah State is led by Rachel Brewster averaging 13.5 points (10th MW) per game ... Shannon Dufficy averages 9.7 points and team-high 9.4 rebounds (3rd MW) per game.
- USU averages 61.8 points (9th MW) per game, allows 55.2 ppg (3rd MW) and is shooting 39.3 percent (6th MW) from the floor as a team and 31.9 percent (5th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Boise State leads the all-time series 22-8 and the MW regular-season series 6-0.
- Boise State has won the last six including both in 2015-16 84-78 in overtime at Logan and 63-58 in Boise.
- MW Openers: Boise State is 3-2 in conference openers since joining the Mountain West for the 2011-12 campaign, 3-0 at home and 0-2 on the road.
- 2015-16 Opener: Boise State dropped last year’s MW opener falling at Colorado State 68-64 (Jan. 2).
- Openers All-Time: Boise State is 21-18 all-time in conference openers, 12-3 in openers played at Boise and 9-15 when playing on the road.
BRONCO FASTBREAK NOTES
- Boise State just completed its best pre-conference campaign in program history at 10-1.
- The 10-1 start is the best overall since the 1974-75 squad (no conference affiliation) set the school record at 12-0 ... 10-1 is tied for third best start to open a season all-time: 1974-75 (12-0), 1973-74 (11-0), 1971-72 (10-1).
- Boise State had three or more players reach double-figure scoring in nine of the first 11 games, all victories, with nine different Broncos involved.
- Boise State leads the MW in 3-point percentage as a team at .388 to rank 17th nationally ... they are 15th in the nation for total 3-pointers made at 104 and eighth nationally for 3-pointers made per game at 9.5, both lead the MW.
- On the year the Broncos have four of the top-15 3-point shooters in the MW: Shalen Shaw (.432) in third, Brooke Pahukoa (.396) is 7th, Riley Lupfer (.377) is 10th, while Yaiza Rodriguez (.375) is 11th.
- Head coach Gordy Presnell hit the 600 career wins milestone against Portland (Dec. 18), Presnell is the 32nd coach in NCAA DI history to hit the mark.
- Yaiza Rodriguez has dished out nine or more assists in five contests to date and seven or more in nine games.
- Rodriguez is second in the MW and sixth nationally in assists per game at 7.5.
- Rodriguez set the school’s career assists record earlier this fall at 452 and has since stretched it out to 507.
- Rodriguez is the first Bronco and seventh individual in MW history to reach the 500 assists milestone ... had eight versus Hawaii (Dec. 20) to reach milestone.
- Brooke Pahukoa has missed two straight contest (Portland and Hawaii) because of injury.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the team and ranks sixth in the MW for points per game at 14.7 ... she has five games in double-digit points, three with 20-plus.
- Brooke Pahukoa is seventh in the MW in 3-point percentage at .396 and third in the league for 3-pointers per game at 2.3.
- Shalen Shaw is second on team and 14th in MW for scoring at 11.9 points per game ... she leads the team and is eighth in MW for rebounds at 7.3 per game.
- Shaw tallied a team-high eight rebounds against Concordia (Dec. 7) to reach the 500 career rebounds milestone, she currently stands at 528 to rank 19th all-time at Boise State.
- Marijke Vanderschaaf is averaging 6.5 rebounds per game (2nd on team / 14th MW) and has recorded the team-high in the last two contests, has eight games with six or more boards.
- Vanderschaaf has scored double-figure points in six of the last seven contests including a career-high 17 in the win over Portland (Dec. 18).
- Leonie Edringer has been granted a medical hardship for the 2015-16 campaign when she played in three games.
- Edringer is now listed as a redshirt-freshman on this season’s roster ... she has played in 10 of 11 contests to date averaging 2.0 points and 1.4 rebounds in 6.8 minutes per game.