Boise State Hosts Portland
The Broncos and Pilots will tip-off at 2 p.m. Sunday in Taco Bell Arena.
Brooke Pahukoa scored 22 points last time out.
Dec. 20, 2014
Portland (2-8) at Boise State (7-3)
Dec. 21, 2014 at 2 p.m. (Mountain Time)
Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- Game: Boise State (7-3) continues a four-game homestand with game three versus the Portland Pilots (2-8) of the West Coast Conference at 2 p.m. Sunday in Taco Bell Arena.
- Next Up: The Broncos will open conference play on Dec. 31 at 11:30 a.m. against the defending Mountain West champion and preseason favorite Colorado State in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are currently 7-3 overall.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have won five of their last six games ... most recently defeating the College of Idaho 91-40 (Dec. 10) and Eastern Washington 90-72), both in Boise.
- Preseason MW Poll: Boise State is expected to battle for the Mountain West championship having been picked to place second in the preseason poll.
- Portland’s Conference Affiliation: Portland is a member of the 10-team West Coast Conference where it was picked to place seventh by the coaches.
- Portland’s Record: The Pilots are 2-8 overall entering the game.
- Recently for Portland: The Pilots have lost two straight and four of its last six ... most recently they lost at home to Montana 69-55 (Dec. 14) and at Eastern Washington 72-65 (Dec. 17).
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 5-0 at home in 2014-15 and have an active seven-game win streak dating back to 2013-14 ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 277-144 (.658 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos are 2-3 on the road in 2014-15.
- Bronco Leaders: Deanna Weaver leads the team at 14 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, both team highs ... Miquelle Askew is next at 11.5 ppg and 4.7 rpg ... Keiahnna Engel adds 8.7 ppg and 3.7 rpg.
- Pilot Leaders: Two players average over 10 points per game led by Cassandra Brown at 16.7 points and 6.6 rebounds per game, both team highs ... Kari Luttinen follows at 12.2 ppg and 3.3 rpg.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 70.3 points and 40.9 rebounds per game, both rank fourth in the MW ... Defensively, the Broncos are allowing 57.9 points and 34.9 rebounds per game, second and first, respectively, in the MW ... the Broncos have averaged 90.5 points per game over the last two contests and allowed 56 per game, +34.5 in scoring margin.
- Portland as a Team: Offensively, the Pilots average 59.5 points (WCC 10th) and 37 rebounds (WCC 9th) per game ... Defensively, they allow 69.8 ppg (WCC 9th) and 40.7 rpg (WCC 8th).
- The Coaches: After three years as an assistant, Cheryl Sorenson is now in her first season as head coach at UP where she is 2-8. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 161-130 and 557-257 in his 28th season all-time.
- All-Time Record: This is the 18th meeting all-time between the Pilots and Broncos with Portland holding a 12-5 advantage in the series ... the Pilots have won the last five meetings.
- Last Time: Portland Defeated Boise State 85-71 last year (Dec. 8, 2013) in Portland.
- West Coast Conference: Portland is the only WCC school the Broncos are playing this year ... Boise State is 44-51 all-time against the current membership of the league.
The Last Meeting
December 8, 2013
Boise State Falls at Portland 85-71
Miquelle Askew tied her career high for points with 21 to lead Boise State against Portland in a 85-71 loss to the Pilots in a women's basketball game in the Chiles Center Sunday afternoon.