Broncos Continue Homestand Against Portland on Sunday
Boise State (5-4) continues its four game homestand this Sunday when the Broncos host the West Coast Conference's Portland Pilots (2-7) at 2 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
Portland (2-7) at Boise State (5-4)
Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012 at 2 p.m. (Mountain)
Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena) WHAT'S HAPPENING
FOLLOW THE BRONCOS
- THIS WEEKEND: Boise State (5-4) continues its four game homestand this Sunday when the Broncos host the West Coast Conference's Portland Pilots (2-7) at 2 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
- FOUR GAME HOMESTAND: Sunday's encounter with Portland is the third contest of the four game homestand in which the Broncos have gone 1-1 to date.
- BOISE STATE'S RECORD: The Broncos enter the week at 5-4 overall, 2-2 at home and 3-2 on the road.
GAME TALKING POINTS
- RADIO: All of the Broncos' games will be carried live on the radio at KTIK (AM 1350) with Chris King providing the play-by-play, broadcasts begin at the top of the hour unless otherwise noted.
- LIVE STATS: Live stats are available for all home games at BroncoSports.com by utilizing the "multimedia" link. For road games please refer to the host school's web site.
- INTERNET AUDIO: Live audio is available at no cost for all Boise State home and road games by utilizing the "multimedia" link at BroncoSports.com.
- INTERNET VIDEO: Live video is available for Bronco home games which includes the audio feed on BroncoSports.com, but requires a subscription.
- THE SERIES: Sunday's encounter will be the 16th meeting all-time between Portland and Boise State with the Pilots holding a 10-5 advantage in the series and winners of three straight.
BREAKING DOWN THE BRONCOS BOISE STATE'S NCAA STATISTICAL RANKINGS
- THE SERIES AT BOISE: The Broncos lead the series in games played at Boise by a 4-3 count.
- THE LAST TIME: These two programs played in Portland last year where the Pilots defeated Boise State 83-56.
- LAST YEAR'S LEADERS: Kinzi Poteet (14 pts) and Lauren Lenhardt (12 pts) led the Broncos at Portland last year.Meanwhile, the Pilots lost their top two scores in last year's meeting but return Jasmine Wooten who had 10 points.
- VERSUS THE WEST COAST CONFERENCE IN 2012-13: Portland is the third WCC team the Broncos will face this year, they are 0-2 versus San Francisco (L 75-61) and San Diego (L 77-70).
- VERSUS THE WCC ALL-TIME: Boise State is 41-43 all-time versus the current membership of the West Coast Conference.
- RECENTLY FOR BOISE STATE: The Broncos split a pair of home games last week losing 74-63 to Eastern Washington (Dec. 7) before defeating NAIA No. 24 Carroll College 76-64 (Dec. 9).
- PORTLAND'S RECORD: The Pilots entered the weekend 2-7 overall with a home game against Mountain West member Fresno State Friday night, prior to Sunday's encounter with the Broncos.
- RECENTLY FOR PORTLAND: The Pilots snapped a five-game losing streak last weekend when they defeated the MW's Nevada Wolf Pack 70-61 in Portland (Dec. 7).
- BRONCOS AT HOME: The Broncos have split their first four (2-2) home games of the year in Taco Bell Arena. They finished last year 10-7 overall at home, their all-time mark is now 256-134 (65.6 pct.) since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- BRONCOS ON THE ROAD: Boise State is currently 3-2 on the road this year including a 77-70 loss to San Diego and a 71-64 win over UMKC at the Air Force Classic (Nov. 30-Dec. 1). The Broncos went 5-9 on the road last year, 4-8 on the opponents home court, 1-1 on neutral floors (MW tournament).
- PILOTS ON THE ROAD: Portland has struggled on the road this year going 1-6 overall, 1-5 on the opponents home court and 0-1 on neutral floors.
- LEADING THE BRONCOS: Boise State is led by senior forward Lauren Lenhardt ranked fifth in the MW averaging 16.1 points and 7.9 rebounds (2nd MW) per game. She was named MW Player of the week for the first two weeks of the season. Junior guard Brandi Henton is adding 10 ppg (t-15th MW) and 3.3 rpg.
- LEADING THE PILOTS: Kari Luttinen leads Portland and is ranked 10th in the WCC for scoring averaging 11.7 ppg and 4.3 rpg. Cassandra Thompson adds 10.1 ppg and 7.1 rpg, while Amy Pupa leads the Pilots on the glass averaging 8.0 rpg (4th WCC).
- COMPARING THE TEAMS: Boise State features the MW's second ranked scoring offense at 69.6 points and 41.6 rebounds (5th MW) per game, against Portland's offense averaging 52.8 pgg and 36.6 rpg. Defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 66.4 ppg (7th MW) while the Pilots allow 67.7 ppg.
- PRESEASON POLLS: Boise State was picked to place seventh out of nine teams in the 2013 Mountain West race, while Portland was eighth out of nine schools in the West Coast Conference poll.
- THE COACHES: Jim Sollars is in his 27th season at Portland where he is 365-402 (.476), he is 9-5 against Boise State while at UP. Gordy Presnell is in his eighth season at Boise State where he is 130-98 (.57 pct.), 526-225 (.70 pct.) in 25+ seasons all-time, 2-4 versus Portland.
- Offensively, the Broncos are ranked in the top 100 nationally for scoring offense 69.6 ppg (66th) and free throw percentage at 74.6 percent (33rd).
FIELD GOAL SHOOTING
- Boise State's scoring offense is ranked second in the Mountain West averaging 69.6 points per game.
- Boise State has scored 80 points twice this year going 2-0 in those games. They have been over 70 points six times with a 5-1 record.
- The Broncos are 0-3 when scoring 63 points or below.
- Lauren Lenhardt has three double-doubles on the year to tie for the most in the MW this season. She leads the team averaging 16.1 ppg to rank fifth in the MW.
- Brandi Henton is second on the team and tied for 15th in the MW for scoring at 10 ppg.
- Boise State has featured four different starting lineups who have combined to score 58 percent of the team's points on the year, 40.2 ppg.
- The Bronco bench averages 29 points per game (42 pct.). They have out scored the opponents' bench in six of nine contests and by nine points per game.
- The Broncos are third in the Mountain West for field goal percentage at 39.9 percent on the season. The season high is 51.8 percent against Carroll College (Dec. 9).
- From the 3-point arc Boise State is sixth in the MW at 27.6 percent with a season high of 38.5 percent (10-26) at Utah Valley.
- Amber Vandiver leads the team in field goal percentage to date hitting 54.1 percent (20-37), followed by Lauren Lenhardt who is shooting 49.4 percent (42-85) and ranked third in MW. Vandiver has not taken enough shots to be ranked.
- Seven Broncos have hit at least one 3-pointer this year led by Brandi Henton with 13, followed by Lauren Lenhardt with 10 and Erica Martinez with nine.
- Lauren Lenhardt is 11th in the MW at for 3-point percentage at 31.8 percent (7-22), Erica Martinez is ranked 14th in the conference at 29.2 percent (7-24).
- As a team the Broncos rank third in 3-point field goals made per game at 5.7.
FREE THROW SHOOTING
- Boise State is second in the MW for free throw shooting on the season at 74.6 percent.
- The Broncos have hit 75 percent or better five times with a season high 95.5 percent (21-22) versus San Diego on Nov. 30. They are 0-2 went shooting below 70 percent from the line.
- Seven Broncos are hitting 70 percent or better from the free-throw line with three at or above 80 percent led by Diana Lee at 100 percent (11-11), Miquelle Askew at 89.3 percent (25-28) and Brandi Henton at 83.3 percent (15-18).
- Two Broncos have streaks going from the charity stripe led by Miquelle Askew who has hit 18 consecutive shots. She is followed by Diana Lee who has a streak of 16 straight going, hitting all 11 attempts this season, as well as the last five from 2011-12 dating back to Dec. 17, 2011, at Eastern Washington when she missed the first of two free throws with 41 seconds left in the game.
- Defensively, the Broncos are seventh in the MW for scoring defense giving up 66.4 points per game.
- The Broncos are seventh in the league for field goal defense allowing opponents to shoot 39 percent.
- Boise State is eighth in the MW for 3-point defense allowing opponents to shoot 32.9 percent from beyond the arc.
- Boise State is seventh in the MW for blocks at 2.4 per game, seventh in steals at 7.8 spg and fourth in turnovers forced at 17.4 per game.
- On the glass Boise State is fifth for rebound offense averaging 41.6 per game.
- In rebound defense they hold opponents to 39.1 rebounds per game to rank fourth in the MW.
- Boise State has won the battle on the glass five times in nine games this season. They are 4-1 when out rebounding the opponent.
- The Broncos have been on the short end of the offensive boards in five of nine games this year.