Boise State to Face Gem State Rival Idaho State
The Broncos and Bengals will tip at 7 p.m. Thursday night in Pocatello
Dec. 3, 2014
GAME SEVEN FACTS
Boise State (4-2) at Idaho State (2-3)
Dec. 4, 2014 at 7 p.m. (Mountain Time)
Pocatello, Idaho (Reed Gym)
- Game: Boise State (4-2) is on the road for the final time during the non-conference season when the Broncos face instate-rival Idaho State (2-3) on Thursday night at 7 p.m., followed by a contest at Utah Valley (3-4) on Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m.
- Next Up: Following the UVU game Saturday, the Broncos will return to the friendly confines of Taco Bell Arena for the next four contests beginning with the College of Idaho on Wednesday, Dec. 10.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games again this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
BRONCOS ADD GAME VERSUS C of I
- New Game: Boise State and the College of Idaho announced on Tuesday (Dec. 2) that they will meet next Wednesday, Dec. 10, at 7 p.m. in Taco Bell Arena at Boise.
- Promotion: Fans will be able to attend to game versus the Coyotes for free as no admission will be charged.
- Recently: Boise State has won two straight games, the most recent victory was at home versus Carroll College on Sunday (Nov. 30) 58-45.
- 2014 GAS: Boise State competed at the Great Alaska Shootout Nov. 25-26 where it split a pair of contests falling to Long Beach State 68-50, then regrouped to defeat Yale 59-53 in overtime to take third place.
- All-Tournament: Senior Deanna Weaver was named the player of the game for the Yale contest, as well as earning all-tournament honors at the Great Alaska Shootout.
- Overtime: The Broncos’ overtime victory against Yale was only the 11th time they had played and extra period under coach Presnell in his 10 seasons at Boise State, they are 5-6 in overtime games.
- The Leader of the Broncos: Senior Deanna Weaver has led the Broncos in scoring in four of the six games this season and averages 14.5 points per game.
- Getting Defensive: Boise State’s defense has carried the Broncos in its four victories, the Broncos are allowing a Mountain West low of 56.2 points per game this season.
- Looking for Offense: The Broncos have struggled scoring in recent games having three straight contests finishing below 60 points ... they are averaging 62.7 points per game on the year.
- All-Time Record: This is the 68th meeting all-time between the Bengals and Broncos with Boise State holding a 47-20 advantage.
- Longest Rivalry: This is the longest rivalry for the Broncos who have played ISU every year but one since 1971 ... it will tie the Broncos rivalry with Idaho in terms of times played at 68 when the two teams tip on Thursday.
- Former Conference Rivals: These two were once conference rivals from 1982-1996 ... they were charter members of the old Mountain West Athletic Conference (MWAC) from 1982-88 ... the MWAC eventually became the Big Sky Conference in 1989, the Broncos left the BSC in 1996.
- Last Time: The last time these two programs met was Nov. 29, 2013 in Boise when the Broncos held off the Bengals 72-70.
- Big Sky Conference: ISU is the third Big Sky school the Broncos have played this year going 1-1 versus Montana State (W 75-60) and at Southern Utah (L 66-64) ... Boise State is 228-174 all-time against the current membership of the league.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are currently 4-2 overall.
- Recently for Boise State: After opening with a pair of home victories, the Broncos have gone 2-2 since, most recently a 58-45 victory at home Nov. 30 against Carroll College.
- Preseason MW Poll: Boise State is expected to battle for the Mountain West championship having been picked to place second in the preseason poll.
- Idaho State’s Conference Affiliation: The Bengals are members of the Big Sky Conference where they were picked to place eighth out of 12 schools by the coaches.
- ISU’s Record: The Bengals are 2-3 overall entering the game.
- Recently for the Bengals: ISU went 2-1 last week defeating Northwest Nazarene at home (88-69), lost to MW member San Diego State 68-53, then defeated Houston 73-67.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 3-0 at home in 2014-15. They went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 275-144 (.656 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos are 1-2 on the road in 2014-15.
- Bronco Leaders: Deanna Weaver leads the team at 14.5 points and 5.8 rebounds per game, both team highs ... Miquelle Askew is next at 9.5 ppg and 5.2 rpg ... Keiahnna Engel adds 9.2 ppg and 4.3 rpg.
- Players to Watch for Boise State: The Broncos return senior wing Deanna Weaver who earned MW All-Conference First Team, MW Newcomer of the Year and MW All-Defensive Team honors last year, as well as being named Preseason All-MW this fall ... sophomore point guard Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego was last year’s MW Co-Freshman of the Year and a member of the MW All-Freshmen Team ... Purdue transfer senior Camille Redmon was named the MW Preseason Newcomer of the Year.
- Bengal Leaders: Apiphany Woods leads ISU at 11.2 points and 2.8 rebounds per game ... Anna Policicchio follows at 10.4 ppg, while Grace Kenyon adds 10.2 ppg and team-high 6.2 rpg.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 62.7 points and 41.2 rebounds per game ... Defensively, the Broncos are allowing 56.2 points and 35 rebounds per game.
- ISU as a Team: Offensively, the Bengals average 62.2 points and 39.2 rebounds per game ... Defensively, they allow 75.2 ppg and 40.0 rpg.
- The Coaches: Seton Sobolewski is in his seventh season at ISU where he is 102-88 ... Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 158-129 and 554-256 in his 28th season all-time.
The Last Meeting
November 29, 2013
Boise State Wins 72-70 Battle Over Idaho State
Lexie Der and Miquelle Askew combined for 34 points to lead Boise State to a hard fought victory over instate-rival Idaho State 72-70 in a women's basketball game at Taco Bell Arena in Boise.