Broncos Ready for San Juan Shootout
Boise State will face both Auburn and Stetson in Puerto Rico.
Nov. 26, 2015
San Juan Shootout
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Nov. 27-28, 2015
Auburn (3-1) Vs. Boise State (2-1)
Stetson (3-1) Vs. Boise State (2-1)
GAME 4 PREVIEWAuburn | Friday, Nov. 27 | Guaynabo, Puerto RicoAuburn Scouting Report
- Boise State (2-1) is on the road Thanksgiving week at the San Juan Shootout in Puerto Rico where the Broncos will face Auburn (3-1) on Friday at 5 p.m. (Mountain) and Stetson (3-1) on Saturday at 2:45 p.m. (Mountain).
- Next Up: Boise State will return home to host Washington State on Thursday, Dec. 3.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: Auburn enters the encounter at 3-1 overall ... defeating UAB (85-71), Southeastern Louisiana (80-68) and Savannah State 62-40 ... the Tigers’ lone loss was at home to Virginia (69-52).
- Affiliation: The Tigers are members of the Southeastern Conference.
- Preseason Polls: Auburn who went 13-18 overall and 3-13 in league play last year was picked to place 13th out of 14 teams in this year’s SEC race by both the coaches and media.
- Tiger Leaders: Brandy Montgomery leads the Tigers averaging 17.5 points per game followed by Janiah McKay at 13.8 and Tra’Cee Tanner at 13 and a team-high 8.0 rebounds per game.
- Auburn as a Team: Auburn is scoring 69.8 points per game while allowing 62 through four games ... the Tigers are shooting 43.5 percent from the floor and 27.4 percent (23-of-84) from beyond the arc ... defensively the are holding opponents to 38.7 percent from the floor and 29.8 (31-of-104) from the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the tournament at 2-1 and are coming off a two-point home loss 72-70 to Utah Valley on Nov. 19, preceded by a 58-44 victory over Cal State LA (Nov. 13) and a 61-38 win over College of Charleston on Monday (Nov. 16).
- Preseason Poll: Boise State, who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 were picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA First Round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Shay Shaw averaging 12.3 points and 7.3 rebounds per game, both team highs ... Miquelle Askew is next at 11.3 points per game and 6.3 rebounds ... Brooke Pahukoa follows at 10.3 points and 6.7 rebounds per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 63 points per game and is shooting 40.1 percent from the floor, 28.8 percent (17-of-59) from the 3-point arc and 75.9 percent (22-of-29) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 51.3 points per game on 34.1 percent shooting from the floor and 20 percent (9-of-45) from beyond the arc.
- Miscellaneous Notes: Broncos are a +18.5 in scoring, +6.3 in rebounding and a +0.7 in turnovers.
GAME 5 PREVIEWStetson | Saturday, Nov. 28 | Guaynabo, Puerto RicoStetson Scouting Report
- Record: This is the first meeting in the series with Auburn.
- Boise State Vs. SEC: The Broncos are 1-7 all-time versus the current membership of the SEC ... the last meetings was a 72-61 loss at Tennessee in last year’s NCAA first round.
- Record: Stetson is 3-1 overall entering the tournament ... the Hatters’ lone loss was at Georgia 76-55 ... they have won two straight since over Bethune-Cookman 62-38 and Armstrong State 61-45.
- Affiliation: The Hatters are members of the Atlantic Sun Conference.
- Preseason Polls: Stetson was picked to place second out of eight teams in this year’s preseason polls by both the coaches and media.
- Hatter Leaders: Brianti Saunders leads Stetson at 16.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game ... Breana Bey follows with 12.8 points and team-best 6.3 rebounds per game.
- Stetson as a Team: Stetson averages 71.2 points per game shooting 45.8 percent from the floor, 26.5 percent (22-of-83) from the 3-point arc and 72.9 percent (35-of-48) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the allow 47.2 points per game and hold opponents to 33.5 percent shooting from the floor and 16 percent (12-of-75) from beyond the arc.
THE BRONCOS, LAST TIME OUT
- Record: This is the first meeting in the series with Stetson.
- Boise State Vs. A-Sun: The Broncos have never played a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference prior to Stetson this weekend.
- BOISE, Idaho (11/19/2015): Boise State lost a heartbreaker in the final seconds 72-70 to Utah Valley last Thursday (Nov. 19).
- With a chance to put the game away in the final 20 seconds, Boise State turned the ball over and the Wolverines turned it into a fastbreak basket for a 71-70 lead with 12 seconds left.
- The Broncos were unable to score on their next possession as UVU iced the game with a 1-of-2 free throws with four seconds left.
- The game saw 23 lead changes and nine ties as neither team led by more than nine points (Boise State).
- Brooke Pahukoa led with 22 points followed by Shay Shaw with 17 points and team-high (tied) eight boards.
- Career Marks: Coach Presnell is currently 574-266 (.683) overall in his 29th season as a collegiate head coach.
- National Standing: Coach Presnell entered 2015-16 as the 32nd winningest active coach in the NCAA (all divisions) with the 572 wins (now 574) ... he was 19th among active NCAA Division I coaches ... ranked 33rd for best win percentage among current division I coaches at .684.
- Presnell Approaches Boise State Record: Gordy Presnell in his 11th season in charge of the Broncos currently has a 178-139 record ... he needs one more victory to tie Connie Thorngren (1970-84), who was 179-121 in 14 years, as the winningest coach in program history in terms of victories.
- Most Conference Wins: Coach Presnell set the program record for wins in conference games last year when the Broncos defeated Colorado State (Dec. 31, 2014) giving him 74 ... the record now stands at 84.
- Most Games Coached: Coach Presnell set the school record for games coached at Boise State when the Broncos tipped at San Diego State (Feb. 7, 2015) in his 302 game ... the record is now at 317.
- Boise State has taken Thanksgiving to extremes over the last two years.
- In 2014 the Broncos traveled to the far northwest to play in the Great Alaska Shootout at Anchorage, Alaska, 1,835 miles (by airplane) from Boise.
- In 2015 Boise State is traveling in the opposite direction to the far southeast to participate in the San Juan Shootout in San Juan, Puerto Rico, 3,369 miles from Boise.
- The mileage between Anchorage, Alaska, and San Juan, Puerto Rico is 4,899 miles.
- Boise State went 1-1 at the Great Alaska Shootout falling 68-50 to Long Beach State, then defeated Yale 59-53 in overtime.
- This year Boise State will face both Auburn and Stetson.
- Boise State has had a different player lead the team in scoring during the first three contests.
- Miquelle Askew led against Cal State LA with 20 points and eight rebounds, both team highs.
- Shay Shaw led in the second game versus the College of Charleston with 18 points and nine rebounds, both team highs.
- Last time out against Utah Valley Brooke Pahukoa broke her scoring slump to lead the Broncos with a team-high 22 points and seven rebounds.
- Five Broncos are averaging between 7.7 and 12.3 points per game: Shay Shaw 12.3, Miquelle Askew 11.3, Brooke Pahukoa 10.3, Yaiza Rodriguez 9.0 and Marta Hermida at 7.7.