Boise State to Face SUU on the Road
The Broncos are at Southern Utah Friday night for their first road game.
Keiahnna Engel is second on team in scoring at 11 ppg.
Nov. 20, 2014
GAME QUICK FACTS
Boise State (2-0) at Southern Utah (0-0)
Friday, Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. (Mountain)
Cedar City, Uath
- Game: Boise State (2-0) is on the road for the first time this fall as the Broncos travel to face Southern Utah (0-0) in a 7 p.m. tip Friday night at Cedar City, Utah.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry the Broncos again this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
- All-Time Record: This is the ninth meeting in the series between the Broncos and Thunderbirds with Boise State leading 6-2.
- Last Time: The last time these two programs met was last year in Boise for the season opener where SUU defeated Boise State in a shootout 90-86.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Recently for Boise State: Boise State has won its first two contests of the year defeating Montana State 75-60 (Nov. 14) and New Mexico State 70-45 (Nov. 18).
- Boise State's 2013-14 Record: The Broncos went 18-14 overall, 12-6 in conference action, tied for third place in the final MW standings.
- Boise State's 2013-14 Postseason: The Broncos participated in the Women's Basketball Invitational (WBI) last season reaching the second round with a road victory at Grand Canyon (52-51), before falling at Stephen F. Austin (80-59).
- Preseason MW Poll: Boise State is expected to battle for the Mountain West championship having been picked to place second in the preseason poll.
- Southern Utah's Conference Affiliation: The Thunderbirds are members of the Big Sky Conference where they were picked by the league's coaches to place seventh out of 12 teams.
- Recently for SUU: The Boise State game is SUU's season opener. The T-Birds did defeat Colorado Mesa 98-59 in an exhibition game on Nov. 4.
- SUU's 2013-14 Record: The Thunderbirds went 23-10 overall and 15-5 in Big Sky play to place tied for first out of 11 schools ... they reached the semifinals of the conference tournament and second round of the WNIT where they defeated Colorado State 71-56 before losing at Colorado 79-68.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 2-0 at home in 2014-15. They went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 274-144 (.656 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Bronco Leaders: Deanna Weaver leads the team after two games at 17 points and 6.5 rebounds per game, followed by Keiahnna Engel 11 ppg and 3.5 rpg, while Miquelle Askew adds 9.0 ppg and 5.5 rpg.
- What's Back For Boise State: Everyone! Boise State returns everyone from last year's squad including all five starters ... leading the way is senior wing Deanna Weaver who led the team averaging 13.7 points and 6.9 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew (Jr., center) followed at 13.0 ppg and 6.0 rpg ... Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego started at point averaging 9.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg and 3.3 assists per game.
- Players to Watch for Boise State: The Broncos return senior wing Deanna Weaver who earned MW All-Conference First Team, MW Newcomer of the Year and MW All-Defensive Team honors last year, as well as being named Preseason All-MW this fall ... Sophomore point guard Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego was last year's MW Co-Freshman of the Year and a member of the MW All-Freshmen Team ... Purdue transfer senior Camille Redmon was named the MW Preseason Newcomer of the Year.
- SUU Leaders: Has not played a game yet this year, but did play one exhibition where four T-Birds scored double-figure points led by Hailey Mandelko with 20, followed by Desiree Jackson with 15, Taylor Baird with 13 nd Sydnee Taylor with 11.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 72.5 points and 47 rebounds per game ... Defensively, the Broncos are allowing 52.5 points and 34 rebounds per game.
- SUU as a Team: Offensively, during the exhibition game they scored 98 points with 48 rebounds ... Defensively, they allowed 59 points and 27 boards.
- The Coaches: Chris Boettcher is in his first season at Southern Utah and as a collegiate head coach. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 156-127 and 552-254 in his 28th season all-time.
The Last Meeting
November 8, 2013