► What’s Happening: Eastern Washington Comes to Town Saturday
Boise State will host defending Big Sky Conference champion Eastern Washington Saturday night, Nov. 20 at 7:00 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena. This will concluded a four-game homestand to open the season for the Broncos.
RADIO: This game will be available on the Bronco Sports Network on KBOI (AM 670) in the Treasure Valley. It will also be available over the internet at BroncoSports.com. This year Jack Smith will be handling the play-by-play duties for Boise State game broadcasts.
INTERNET: Fans can log on to BroncoSports.com and watch all home games at the “multimedia” link. By becoming a Bronco Vision premium subscription member, Boise State fans will receive access to live games, past games, seasonal highlights, special features and interviews that can only be seen by paying the membership price of $10.95 for one month, $29.95 for four months, or $79.95 for the year. Live stats can be found at BroncoSports.com as well for no fee.
► Boise State Review
Boise State has opened the season on a four-game homestand which concludes this Saturday when the Broncos host Eastern Washington. To date they have gone 2-1 to open the campaign with a season opening 83-76 loss to the University of Portland, followed by a 73-48 win over Idaho State University last Sunday and a Tuesday night 91-80 victory over Southern Utah University.
► Last Time Out
Boise State (2-1) defeated Southern Utah (0-2) out of the Summit League Tuesday night in a 91-80 shootout in Taco Bell Arena. After Boise State took a 20-point lead early in the second half, the Broncos were forced to hold off a Southern Utah rally that pulled the Thunderbirds to within three points with five minutes to go.
Kati Isham led five Broncos in double-figure scoring with a career-high 21 points, followed by a career-high 19 from Julia Marshall. They were joined by Diana Lee who added 15 points, Lauren Lenhardt’s 11, and Janie Bos’ double-double on 10 points and 13 rebounds.
Southern Utah was led by four players in double figures. Caitlyn Sears scored a team-high 22 points followed by Desiree Jackson with 20.
Boise State shot 45 percent (29-64) from the floor, 44 percent (10-23) from the arc and 68 percent (23-34) from the free-throw line.
Southern Utah countered by shooting 43 percent (31-73) percent from the floor, 18 percent (2-11) from 3-point range and 73 percent (16-22) from the foul line.
► The Last EWU Encounter
It has been seven years since these former conference rivals have met on the hardwood. The last time the Eagles and Broncos met was on Dec. 13, 2003 in Boise when EWU defeated Boise State 72-69 in overtime.
► EWU Series Recap
Series History: EWU and Boise State were once conference rivals in three different leagues: from the fall of 1979 to spring 1982 in the Northwest Women’s Basketball League (NWBL); 1982-1988 in the Mountain West Athletic Conference (MWAC); then the Big Sky Conference from 1988-1996 following a merger with the MWAC. The league affiliation between the two ended when Boise State left the Big Sky for the Big West the fall of 1996.
Series Record: To date, they have met 44 times entering Saturday’s encounter in Taco Bell Arena. Boise State holds a 26-18 advantage in the series, however, Eastern Washington has won the last two games.
Boise State vs. Big Sky: The Broncos are 178-135 versus the current membership of the Big Sky, which includes a 73-48 win over Idaho State last Sunday. They are scheduled to play four members this year in ISU, EWU, Sacramento State and Weber State. They also played future BSC member (2012-13) Southern Utah defeating the Thunderbirds Tuesday night 91-80.
► Boise State Talking Points for EWU Game
- BRONCO LEADERS: Three games into the season Kati Isham leads the Broncos in scoring at 14 ppg followed by Lauren Lenhardt at 13 ppg and 5 rpg, Julia Marshall at 11.3 ppg, while Janie Bos adds 10.3 ppg and team-high 9.7 rpg.
- AS A TEAM: Boise State is averaging 80 ppg and 42 rpg, while shooting 44.9 percent from the floor, 36.8 percent from the 3-point arc and 72.6 percent from the free-throw line.
- WHAT’S BACK: Boise State returns two starters, Janie Bos and Julia Marshall, as well as seven letterwinners from last year’s 19-12 campaign.
- WAC POLLS: After finishing the 2009-10 WAC race at 8-8 and tied for fourth-place, the Broncos where picked to place fifth in this year’s preseason coaches poll and fourth in the media’s.
- PRESNELL MILESTONES: Coach Presnell reached his 100th victory at Boise State when the Broncos defeated Southern Utah Tuesday night. He needs four wins to reach his 500th in his career.
► Eastern Washington Talking Points for Game
- RECENTLY: Southern Utah is coming off a pair of loses dropping a 77-58 home decision to Portland last Sunday, followed by a 75-50 defeat at Idaho on Wednesday.
- ABOUT EWU: EWU is 1-2 entering the Boise State game. They return three starters and 10 letterwinners from last year’s Big Sky Championship team that went 19-12 overall and 12-4 in league.
- THEIR LEADERS: After three games Tatjana Sparavalo leads EWU in scoring and rebounding at 12 ppg and 6.7 rpg, followed by Brianne Ryan and Julie Piper at 11.7 ppg each.
- AS A TEAM: The Eagles average 62.7 ppg and allow 74. EWU has been out rebounded 42.3 to 32.7 per game.
- Big Sky Polls: Eastern Washington was picked to finish second out of nine schools in this year’s Big Sky race in both the league’s preseason coaches and media polls.
- EWU COACH: Wendy Schuller is in her tenth year at EWU where she is 114-150 overall.