Nov. 12, 2014
Bronco Weekly: Head coach Gordy Presnell talks about the Broncos performance against NNU in their exhibition and looks ahead to their season opener against Montana State.
GAME QUICK FACTS
Montana State at Boise State
Friday, Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. (Mountain)
Taco Bell Arena
LIVE STATS | LIVE VIDEO (free)
Game Notes (PDF)
- Game: Boise State will open the regular season by hosting Montana State at 7 p.m. on Friday in Taco Bell Arena.
- Promotions: "Fight Hunger Night" the Broncos are helping collect food for the Idaho Food Bank, any fan who brings a non-perishable food item will receive admission to the game for only $3.
- Parking: Fans can parking in the stadium parking lots for the game.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry the Broncos again this season. Bob Behler will be the voice of the Broncos Friday night calling all the action for the women.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast and watch the live video of the game over the internet as well at BroncoSports.com.
1993-94 TEAM HONORED
- What's Happening: Boise State will be honoring the 1993-94 team at halftime on Friday.
- The team was one of the most accomplished teams in program history going 23-6 overall and 12-2 in conference play.
- It was ranked as high as 17th nationally by the AP.
- Co-Big Sky Conference regular season champions.
- The only team in Boise State or Big Sky women's basketball history to receive an at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament.
- Both Boise State's assistant coach Heather Sower and Montana State's head coach Tricia (Bader) Binford were members of that team.
- All-Time Record: Montana State holds a slim 26-25 lead in the all-time series ... however, the Broncos have won four straight.
- Last Time: The last time these two programs met on the hardwood was Dec. 9, 2009 in Boise when the Broncos won 74-68.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Recently for Boise State: Boise State played one exhibition this fall defeating Northwest Nazarene 84-83 last Friday in Boise.
- Boise State's 2013-14 Record: The Broncos went 18-14 overall, 12-6 in conference action, tied for third place in the final MW standings.
- Boise State's 2013-14 Postseason: The Broncos participated in the Women's Basketball Invitational (WBI) last season reaching the second round with a road victory at Grand Canyon (52-51), before falling at Stephen F. Austin (80-59).
- Preseason MW Poll: Boise State is expected to battle for the Mountain West championship having been picked to place second in the preseason poll.
- Montana State Conference Affiliation: The Bobcats are members of the 12-team Big Sky Conference where they were picked to place sixth by the leagues coaches and seventh by its media.
- Former Rivals: These two programs were once league rivals dating back to the old Northwest Basketball League (NWBL) 1977-82, then the Mountain West Athletic Conference (MWAC) 1983-87 and finally the Big Sky 1988-96.
- Recently for MSU: Montana State has played two exhibition contests this fall defeating Carroll (Mont.) 59-49 and Minot State 84-71.
- MSU's 2013-14 Record: The Bobcats went 15-15 overall and 10-10 in Big Sky play to place seventh.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year. They are 272-144 (.654 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- What's Back For Boise State: Everyone! Boise State returns everyone from last year's squad including all five starters ... leading the way will be senior wing Deanna Weaver who led the team averaging 13.7 points and 6.9 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew (Jr., center) followed at 13.0 ppg and 6.0 rpg ... Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego started at point averaging 9.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg and 3.3 assists per game.
- Players to Watch for Boise State: The Broncos return senior wing Deanna Weaver who earned MW All-Conference First Team, MW Newcomer of the Year and MW All-Defensive Team honors last year, as well as being named Preseason All-MW this fall ... Sophomore point guard Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego was last year's MW Co-Freshman of the Year and a member of the MW All-Freshmen Team ... Purdue transfer senior Camille Redmon was named the MW Preseason Newcomer of the Year.
- What's Back For MSU: Montana State returns four starters led by Jasmine Hommes who led the team in scoring at 13.7 points per game, Kalli Durham was third at 10.7 ppg ... on the glass Jackie Elliot led averaging 6.1 rebounds per game, while Ausha Cole averaged a team-high 4.3 assists.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, last year Boise State averaged 70.3 points per game, the sixth most all-time in program history ... they shot the fourth-best percentage all-time from the free-throw line hitting .718 ... they set the school record for most 3-pointers made in history with 225 ... Defensively, the Broncos have allowed 68.6 points and 39.7 rebounds per game and 42.6 rebounds.
- MSU as a Team: Montana State ranked third in the Big Sky last year in scoring averaging 73 points per game, it was second in rebounding at 39.6 and in assists at 16.6 apg ... Defensively, the Bobcats allowed 72.6 ppg (BSC 8th) and 42.6 rpg (BSC 10th).
- The Coaches: Tricia Binford is in her 10th season at Montana State where she is 134-134, her career mark is the same. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 154-127 and 550-254 in 27 seasons all-time.
BRONCOS IN SEASON OPENERS
- Openers Under Presnell: Boise State is 7-2 in openers under head coach Gordy Presnell.
- Openers All-Time: The Broncos are 26-18 all-time in season openers, 16-7 when opening in Boise (Bronco Gym and Taco Bell Arena) and 10-11 when on the road.
- Last Year at Home: Boise State lost a high-scoring shootout 90-86 to Southern Utah in the season opener in Taco Bell Arena.
BOISE STATE IN HOME OPENERS
- Home Openers All-Time: Boise State is 31-13 in home openers all-time, 8-5 in Bronco Gym and 23-8 in Taco Bell Arena.
- Home Openers Under Presnell: The Broncos are 7-2 in home openers under head coach Gordy Presnell.
- Last Year: Last year Boise State opened the season at home falling 90-86 in a high scoring affair to Southern Utah.