Boise State Opens the Season at Utah Valley
Boise State will open the 2012-13 campaign this Friday on the road at Utah Valley in Orem, Utah. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. (Mountain) in the UVU P.E. Gym.
FOLLOW THE GAME
- Boise State will open the 2012-13 campaign this Friday on the road at Utah Valley in Orem, Utah. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. (Mountain) in the UVU P.E. Gym.
- This will be the season opener for both teams.
- Last year, Boise State went 15-16 overall and 5-9 in Mountain West play to finish sixth. Utah Valley went 15-15 and 6-4 in Great West play to place second.
- Next Up For Boise State: Boise State will open its home schedule up next Tuesday, Nov. 13, when they host North Dakota State at 5:00 p.m. (Mountain) in the first game of a doubleheader with the men in Taco Bell Arena.
BOISE STATE IN SEASON OPENERS
- RADIO: All of the Broncos' games will be carried live on the radio.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350)
- Play-By-Play: Chris King
- LIVE STATS: WolverineGreen.com
- LIVE INTERNET AUDIO: BroncoSports.com
- This is the first time in six years that the Broncos open the season on the road when they take the court at Utah Valley.
- Boise State is 6-1 in openers under head coach Gordy Presnell.
- The Broncos are 25-17 all-time in season openers, 16-6 when opening in Boise (Bronco Gym and Taco Bell Arena) and 9-11 when on the road.
- Last year Boise State defeated Southern Oregon 93-55 in Taco Bell Arena to open the season.
- The last time the Broncos opened the year on the road was 2005-06 during coach Presnell's first season. Boise State won a double overtime thriller at Idaho State by the score of 91-89.
PREGAME NOTES FOR UTAH VALLEY GAME
- RECENTLY FOR BOISE STATE: Boise State defeated Lewis-Clark State 92-36 in its lone exhibition game of the fall.
- BOISE STATE'S RECORD: The Broncos went 15-16 overall in 2011-12. They are 1-0 in exhibition games this fall.
- RECENTLY FOR UTAH VALLEY: The Wolverines split a pair of home exhibition games this fall dropping a 67-62 decision to New Mexico Highlands followed by a 71-55 victory over Adams State.
- UTAH VALLEY'S RECORD: UVU went 15-15 last year and 1-1 in exhibition contests this fall.
- BRONCOS AT HOME: The Broncos finished last year 10-7 overall and 3-4 in MW play at home in Taco Bell Arena bringing their all-time mark to 254-132 (65.8 pct.) and 145-81 (64.2 pct.) in conference games since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- BRONCOS ON THE ROAD: Boise State went 5-9 on the road last year, 4-8 on the opponents home court, 1-1 on neutral floors (MW tournament). The Broncos were 2-5 in conference games.
- THE WOLVERINES AT HOME: They went 1-1 in exhibition games this fall and 9-5 at home in 2011-12.
- LEADING THE BRONCOS: Boise State is led by Lauren Lenhardt the top returning scorer and rebounder from last year averaging 14.0 ppg and 6.1 rpg. In the lone exhibition game for the Broncos transfer Rosalie Cutri led the team in scoring with 13 points followed by Julia Marshall and Erica Martinez with 12 each. Lenhardt had a team-high 11 rebounds and nine points.
- LEADING THE WOLVERINES: Sammie Jensen is the top returning scorer for UVU averaging 13.4 points and 10.1 rebounds a year ago. In two exhibition contests Jensen averaged 12 points and 11 rebounds per game, followed by Whitney Jenkins who scored 13 ppg in the exhibitions.
- COMPARING THE TEAMS: The game will feature Boise State's offense that scored 92 points in its exhibition game versus UVU's that averaged 66.5 in two. Defensively, the Broncos held Lewis-Clark State to 36 points while the Wolverines have given up 61 ppg in their exhibitions.
- PRESEASON POLL: Boise State was picked to place seventh out of nine teams in the 2013 Mountain West race. A poll for the Great West Conference could not be found.
- THE COACHES: Cathy Nixon is entering her 19th season at UVU where she is 297-217 all-time and 2-6 versus Boise State. Gordy Presnell is in his eighth season at Boise State where he is 125-94 (.571 pct.), 521-221 (.702 pct.) in 25 seasons all-time, and 3-2 versus Utah Valley.
BOISE STATE VS. UTAH VALLEY
- THE SERIES: Friday's encounter will be the ninth meeting all-time in the series which Boise State leads 6-2, the Broncos have won three straight. Boise State leads 3-1 in games played in Boise and 3-1 in Orem versus UVU.
- THE LAST TIME: The Broncos won 85-64 last year in Boise on Dec. 31.
- THE LAST TIME IN OREM: Boise State won 80-71 on Dec. 20, 2010.