Nov. 7, 2013
Download pdf version of game n
Southern Utah at Boise State
Nov. 8, 2013 | 5:30 p.m. (MT)
Boise, Idaho | Taco Bell Arena
Radio Broadcast: KTIK Radio (AM 1350)
Play-by-Play: Chris Lewis
Internet Live Stats
Internet Live Video
- The Game: Boise State (0-0) opens the 2013-14 campaign at home this Friday against the Southern Utah Thunderbirds at 5:30 p.m. (all times are Mountain) in the first contest of a doubleheader with the men’s team in Taco Bell Arena.
- Ticket Promotion: For doubleheader games featuring the Boise State women and men, fans can get into both contests for $6 (everyone) apiece if they arrive before the start on the second half of the women’s game. Those arriving after halftime will pay the regular men’s ticket prices, all seats are reserved for both games. Boise State students get in free with a student ticket (a ticket is required), the student section is general admission seating.
- Former Assistants Return: The Broncos not only will be taking on the Thunderbird team, but two former Boise State assistants as well in JR Payne the head coach and Toriano Towns the associate head coach. They were both on coach Presnell’s initial staff at Boise State, Payne (2005-08) and Towns (2005-09).
- Next Up: Boise State will continue a home opening two-game homestand on Monday night when Lewis-Clark State (Lewiston, Idaho) comes to town for a 7 p.m. tip in Taco Bell Arena.
- All-Time Record: Friday’s game will be the eighth meeting all-time in the series between the two programs with Boise State holding a 6-1 advantage and has won six straight.
- In Boise: Boise State is 5-1 in games played in Boise between Southern Utah and the Broncos.
- Last Time: The last time these two met was Nov. 16, 2010 in Boise when the Broncos defeated the T-birds 91-80.
QUICK GAME NOTES: SETTING THE SCENE
- Last Year for Boise State: Boise State went 11-19 overall and 4-12 in the Mountain West Conference last year placing seventh.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos played only one exhibition game this fall, they defeated Southern Oregon 95-58 this past Monday night in Taco Bell Arena.
- Boise State’s Record: This will be the regular season opener for both teams, the Broncos were 1-0 in exhibition games.
- Last Year for Southern Utah: Last year was the first year for SUU as members of the Big Sky Conference where they went 9-11 (7th) in league and 15-16 overall.
- Recently for Southern Utah: The T-Birds played two home exhibition games prior to Friday’s season opener. They defeated Dixie State (Utah) 90-60 and Western State (Colorado) 92-49.
- SUU’S Record: The Thunderbirds were 2-0 in exhibition games this fall.
- Boise State at Home: Boise State went 7-8 at home last season. The Broncos are 261-140 (.651 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Southern Utah on the Road: This is Southern Utah’s first road game of the season, the Thunderbirds went 7-10 on the road last year.
- Leading the Broncos: Boise State returns two of its top three scorers from last year in junior guard Brandi Henton (10.4 ppg) and sophomore center Miquelle Askew (6.1 ppg), second and third on the team respectively. The top returning rebounders are Lexie Der at 5.8 rpg (2nd), Henton at 4.1 rpg (4th) and Askew at 3.6 rpg (5th).
- Leading the T-Birds: Hailie Mandelko led the team last year in scoring at 11.8 ppg, followed by Andrea Jones at 8.7 ppg. The top rebounder back is Carli Moreland who led the team at 6.6 rpg.
- Boise State as a Team: Last year Boise State shot 37.2 percent from the floor, 27.3 percent from the 3-point arc and 73.4 percent from the free-throw line, the Broncos averaged 62 points per game and allowed 67.8 ppg.
- Southern Utah as a Team: The Thunderbirds averaged 69.7 points per game and allowed 68.1 ppg, they shot 39 percent from the floor, 32 percent from the arc and 68 percent from the charity stripe.
- Preseason Polls: Boise State was projected eighth out of 11 teams in the MW preseason poll, while Southern Utah was sixth out of 11 in the Big Sky poll.
- The Coaches: JR Payne is in her sixth season at SUU where she is 44-75 (37 pct.) overall and 0-1 versus the Broncos. Gordy Presnell is in his ninth season at Boise State where he is 136-113 (54.6 pct.), 532-240 (68.9 pct.) in 26 seasons all-time, and 1-0 versus Southern Utah.
BOISE STATE IN SEASON OPENERS
- Openers Under Presnell: Boise State is 7-1 in openers under head coach Gordy Presnell.
- Openers All-Time: The Broncos are 26-17 all-time in season openers, 16-6 when opening in Boise (Bronco Gym and Taco Bell Arena) and 10-11 when on the road.
- Last Year on the Road: Last year Boise State defeated Utah Valley on the road 80-63 to open the season.
- Last Time at Home: The last time Boise State opened at home was in 2011-12 when the Broncos defeated Southern Oregon 93-55 in Taco Bell Arena.
BOISE STATE IN HOME OPENERS
- Home Openers All-Time: Boise State is 31-12 in home openers all-time, 8-5 in Bronco Gym and 23-7 in Taco Bell Arena.
- Home Openers Under Presnell: The Broncos are 7-1 in home openers under head coach Gordy Presnell.
- Last Year: Last year Boise State defeated North Dakota State of the Summit League 80-61 in the home opener and second game overall.