Boise State Continues WBI at Stephen F. Austin
Broncos play in quarterfinals Saturday night in Texas.
Miquelle Askew had team-high 13 points on Thursday.
March 21, 2014
Download pdf version of Boise State game notes
- Boise State (18-13) at Stephen F. Austin (21-12)
- WBI Quarterfinals
- Nacogdoches, Texas
- March 22, 2014 (Saturday) at 6 p.m. (Mountain)
- Follow the Game: LIVE STATS | LIVE AUDIO
- Women’s Basketball Invitational “WBI”: Boise State will continue its first ever appearance in the Women’s Basketball Invitational when the Broncos travel to Nacogdoches, Texas, to take on the Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks in the tournament’s quarterfinals Saturday night at 6 p.m.
- WBI: The Women’s Basketball Invitational is in its fifth season as a postseason tournament. The competition features 16 teams from across the country and four rounds which are all played on campus sites from the round of 16 to the championship.
- Potential Semifinal Opponents: If Boise State were to advance with a victory on Saturday the Broncos would face the winner of the Northern Kentucky at College of Charleston contest on March 26 or 27.
- KBOI to Carry Broadcast: Due to scheduling conflicts Boise State’s game will be carried by KBOI (AM 670) in Boise instead of KTIK (AM 1350), both are Cumulus Radio stations. Chris Lewis will call all the action of the Broncos contest against the Ladyjacks.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast of the game over the internet as well at BroncoSports.com at http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/boise.portal.
- Follow the Game: Follow the action at Stephen F. Austin on live stats via GameTracker at BroncosSports.com at http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/bosu-w-baskbl-sched.html.
- All-Time Record: Saturday’s meeting is the first between the two schools in women’s basketball.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Recently for Boise State: Boise State is coming off a tight 52-51 road victory at Grand Canyon in the WBI round of 16 on Thursday at Phoenix, Ariz.
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are now 18-13 overall on the year and went 12-6 in conference action, good for a tie for third place in the final MW standings.
- SFA Conference Affiliation: The Ladyjacks are members of the Southland Conference.
- Recently for SFA: Stephen F. Austin is coming of a 59-51 home victory over Texas State Thursday night in the opening round of the WBI.
- SFA’s Record: The Ladyjacks enter Saturday at 21-12 overall. They went 13-5 in league play, tied for first-place place in the Southland Conference.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena this year. They are 272-144 (.654 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena. They are 1-0 in Bronco Gym this season.
- Boise State on the Road: After dropping their first six road games of the season the Broncos have gone 6-3 since and are now 6-9 on the road overall, the total includes the neutral site MW Tournament loss.
- SFA at Home: The Ladyjacks are 13-3 at home in William R. Johnson Coliseum, they went 8-1 in league games.
- Leading the Broncos: Miquelle Askew leads the team in scoring average at 13.1 points per game and total points with 406. Deanna Weaver is second on the team in scoring average at 13.0 ppg. Weaver has not played in enough games to be ranked by MW, but Askew is 12th MW. Lexie Der follows those two at 10.9 ppg but is injured and will not play. Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego is third on the active list at 9.8 ppg. Weaver leads the team on the glass at 7.0 rebounds per game.
- Leading SFA: Porsha Roberts leads the Ladyjacks in scoring at 16.2 points per game (4th SC) and Brittney Matthew at 12.2 ppg, but she is injured and not expected to play. Daylyn Harris is second on the active list at 9.4 ppg, while Roberts also leads the team on the glass at 8.1 rebounds per game (7th WAC).
- Boise State as a Team: On the year Boise State is averaging 70.6 points (6th MW) and 37 rebounds (10th MW) per game. Defensively the Broncos have allowed 68.2 points (6th MW) and 39.2 boards (5th MW) per game.
- SFA as a Team: Stephen F. Austin averages 68.7 points (3th SC) and 42.1 rebounds (1st WAC) per game, while allowing 60.9 points (2nd SC) and 35.1 rebounds per game (2nd SC).
- The Coaches: Brandon Schneider is in his fourth season at SFA where he is 70-57, his career mark is 376-129 in 16 years. Gordy Presnell is in his ninth season at Boise State where he is 154-126 and 550-253 in his 27th season all-time.
NATIONAL POSTSEASON TOURNAMENTS
- Tournaments All-Time: This will be Boise State’s sixth national postseason tournament all-time in program history.
- Postseason Record: Boise State is currently 2-6 in postseason play.
- AIAW: Boise State went 0-2 in the 1975 Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women’s national tournament.
- NCAA: The Broncos have reached two NCAA Tournaments in 1994 and 2007 losing each time in the first round.
- WNIT: Boise State has also gone to the Women’s National Invitation Tournament on two occasions in 1998 and 2008 reaching the second round last time out.
- WBI: This is the first trip to the Women’s Basketball Invitational for the Broncos the enter Saturday 1-0.
- Under Coach Presnell: Head coach Gordy Presnell is the first Boise State coach to take three teams into postseason play in program history: 2007 NCAA, 2008 WNIT and 2014 WBI. He is also the only coach to guide the Broncos to victory in postseason play: first round of 2008 WNIT and Thursday round of 16 win at Grand Canyon in the WBI.