Broncos take on San Jose State in MW Semifinals
Boise State will face the SJSU Spartans in Wednesday's MW tournament semifinals at Las Vegas.
March 11, 2015
- Mountain West Women's Basketball Championship Tournament
- No. 4 Boise State (20-10, 11-7 MW) at No. 8 San Jose State (15-16, 7-11 MW)
- March 11, 2015 at 7 p.m. (Mountain Time)
- Las Vegas, Nev. (Thomas & Mack Center)
- 25th Meeting in Series
TournamentNotesAddendum|Live Stats|Live Audio|Live Video
The Last Meeting
|San Jose State||76
March 3, 2015
- Game: No. 4 Boise State (20-10, 11-7 MW) defeated No. 5 UNLV 64-46 Tuesday to advanced into the Mountain West Women's Basketball Championship semifinals in Las Vegas where they face No. 8 San Jose State (15-16, 7-11 MW) at 7 p.m. (Mountain) Wednesday night in the Thomas & Mack Center.
- Broncos in Semifinals: This is the 15th time that Boise State has played in a conference tournament semifinal and the second since joining the MW ... they lost 51-50 to New Mexico in 2012.
- Next Up: The winner of this game will advance to the MW Championship at 1 p.m. (Mountain) on Friday against the winner of No. 2 New Mexico (19-11, 14-4 MW) vs. No. 3 Fresno State (22-8, 13-5 MW).
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women's games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Season Series: The two teams split the regular-season series with the home team winning each time ... San Jose State won the first meeting of the year in the Event Center at San Jose (Jan. 21) 88-78 ... Boise State responded by winning the second in Boise (March 3) 91-76.
- Preseason MW Poll: Both teams slightly underachieved according to the Mountain West preseason coaches and media poll who selected Boise State to place second and San Jose State 10th in this year's league race.
- The Records: The Broncos enter the game at 20-10 overall and 11-7 in MW play, good for fourth-place ... San Jose State is 15-16 on the year and went 7-11 in league, good for eight.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos are coming off a 64-46 victory over fifth-seed UNLV, the host team, in the MW quarterfinals.
- Recently for San Jose State: The Spartans have won three in a row including victories over Utah State (99-85) in the opening round of the MW Tournament and a 64-55 upset on No. 1 seed Colorado State in the quarterfinals.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos finished the year 13-2 at home ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 285-146 (.661 pct.) all-time in facility.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos have struggled a bit on the road this year and are now 7-8 away from Boise in 2014-15 ... they went 4-5 in league games.
- San Jose State at Home: The Spartans went 9-4 at home and 5-4 in league games.
- SJSU on the Road: The Spartans are 6-12 away from San Jose, Calif., this year and went 2-7 in league contests.
- Bronco Leaders: In MW games, Deanna Weaver led the team at 12.7 points (MW 10) and 4.6 rebounds per game, on the year she lead the MW and is ranked 21st-nationally for 3-point percentage at .418 ... Brooke Pahukoa was second in scoring during conference averaging 10.9 ppg (MW 18), Miquelle Askew followed at 8.1 ppg ... Camille Redmon led on the glass at 7.4 rebounds per game (MW 5).
- Spartan Leaders: In MW games, Ta'Rae Cunnigan led the team averaging 18.7 points per game (MW 3), she was second in the league for scoring on the year at 17.6 ppg ... Rebecca Woodberry followed at 12.2 ppg (MW 12) and team-high 7.1 rebounds per game (MW 7).
- Head-to-Head, BSU Individuals: Deanna Weaver led the Broncos against the Spartans averaging 17.5 points per game ... three other Broncos averaged double-digit points starting with Camille Redmon at 12 ppg, Shalen Shaw at 11 ppg and Brooke Pahukoa at 10 ppg ... Redmon averaged a double-double versus SJSU adding a team-best 10.5 rebounds per game.
- Head-to-Head, SJSU Individuals: Ta-Rae Cunnigan led SJSU against Boise State averaging 22 points per game followed by Rebecca Woodberry with 16 ppg, no one else averaged double-figures in points ... Riana Byrd led the Spartans on the glass with a team-high 6.5 rebounds per game.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 70.9 points (MW 2/NCAA 50) and 70.4 ppg (MW t-2) during MW action ... Defensively, the Broncos are fifth in the league allowing 61.4 points per game and 64.4 points per game (MW 7) in conference play ... on the year the Broncos out score opponents by +9.5 (MW 2/NCAA 46) and +5.7 rebounds per game (MW 2/ NCAA 41).
- SJSU as a Team: Offensively, the Spartans are averaging a league-best 78.8 points per game (NCAA 9) on the year and 71.4 ppg (MW 1) in league play ... Defensively, they are allowing 78.4 ppg (MW 11) this season and 75.0 ppg (MW 10) during league games ... they are ninth-nationally in scoring offense and 341 out of 343 teams in scoring defense on the year.
- Head-to-Head, Team: Boise State averaged 84.5 points and 49 rebounds per game compared to SJSU's 82 points and 31 rebounds ... the Broncos shot 44.1 percent from floor, 44 percent (22-of-50) from the arc and 80.8 percent (21-of-26) from the free-throw line ... SJSU countered at 42.6 percent from the floor, 40 percent (22-of-55) from beyond the arc and 70.3 percent (26-of-37) from the free-throw line.
- The Coaches: Jamie Craighead, a former Gordy Presnell assistant at Seattle Pacific, is in her second season as head coach at SJSU where she is 26-35, her career mark is 77-105 in six seasons. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 174-137 and 570-264 in his 28th season all-time.
- All-Time Record: This is the 26th meeting all-time between the Spartans and Broncos with Boise State leading 14-11.
- Current Streak: San Jose State snapped a 10-game losing streak to the Broncos on Jan. 21 when the Spartans defeated Boise State 88-78 in San Jose ... however, Boise State won the last meeting this year in Boise 91-76 for the current one game win streak.
- Series on Neutral Floors: The two teams have met twice on neutral floors with the Broncos winning both ... the last was in the 2007 Western Athletic Conference Tournament quarterfinals in Las Cruces, N.M., a 81-64 Boise State win.
- MW Series: The Mountain West series is led 2-1 by Boise State since the Spartans joined the league last year, the teams met only once in 2013-14.
- Mountain West Conference: Boise State is 112-87 all-time against the current membership of the Mountain West; however, they are 32-32 against those schools in MW contests.
KEY BOISE STATE NOTES FROM TUESDAY
BRONCOS WIN 20TH
- 20 Win Seasons: Boise State's 64-46 win over UNLV (March 10) in the Mountain West Tournament quarterfinals gave the Broncos their 20th win of the season.
- Total 20-Win Seasons: It marks the sixth time in program history that the Broncos reached the milestone and the third time under coach Presnell (2007, 2008, 2015).
REDMON SETS SCHOOL BLOCKS RECORD
- Boise State senior Camille Redmon has only been with the program one season but she has left her mark on it setting the school record for blocks in a season with 70.
- The key block came with 1:11 left against UNLV (March 10) in the Broncos with MW quarterfinal victory.