Boise State to Face UNLV in MW Quarterfinals
The two teams split the regular season series with the road team winning each time,
Deanna Weaver, 2015 All-MW honoree.
March 9, 2015
- Reese's Mountain West Women's Basketball Championship Tournament
- No. 4 Boise State (19-10, 11-7 MW) at No. 5 UNLV (13-16, 10-8 MW)
- March 10, 2015 at 3:30p.m. (Mountain Time)
- Las Vegas, Nev.(Thomas & Mack Center)
- 11th Meeting in Series
Game Notes | Live Stats | Live Audio | Live Video
- Game: Boise State (19-10, 11-7 MW) heads to the Reese's Mountain West Women's Basketball Championship in Las Vegas as the fourth-seed and will face their host and fifth-seed UNLV (13-16, 10-8 MW) at 3:30 p.m. (Mountain) Tuesday afternoon in the Thomas & Mack Center.
- Next Up: The winner of that game will then move on to face the winner of No. 1 Colorado State (23-6, 15-3 MW) vs. No. 8 San Jose State (14-16, 7-11 MW) game at 7 p.m. (Mountain) Wednesday night.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women's games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
SETTING THE SCENE
The Last Meeting
February 18, 2015
- Season Series: The two teams split the regular-season series with the visiting team winning each time ... Boise State won the first meeting of the year in Cox Pavilion at Las Vegas (Jan. 14) 78-67 ... UNLV responded by winning the second in Boise (Feb. 18) 74-60.
- Preseason MW Poll: Both teams slightly underachieved according to the Mountain West preseason coaches and media poll who selected Boise State to place second and UNLV sixth in this year's league race.
- The Records: The Broncos enter the game at 19-10 overall and 11-7 in MW play, good for fourth-place ... UNLV went 13-16 on the year and 10-8 in league, tied with Wyoming for fifth.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos are coming off a split in the final week of the regular season defeating San Jose State 91-76 in Boise (March 3) before falling 55-52 in overtime at Fresno State (March 6).
- Recently for UNLV: The Lady Rebels have lost three straight at Wyoming (99-68), at San Diego State (76-61) and at home in Cox Pavilion to San Jose State (99-97) to close regular season on March 6.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos finished the year 13-2 at home ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 285-146 (.661 pct.) all-time in facility.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos have struggled a bit on the road this year and are now 6-8 away from Boise in 2014-15 ... last time out was a 55-52 overtime loss at Fresno State (March 6) ... they went 4-5 in league games.
- UNLV at Home: The Lady Rebels went 9-5 at home playing most of their contests in Cox Pavilion next to the Thomas & Mack Center.
- UNLV on the Road: The Lady Rebels went 4-11 away from Las Vegas this year and 4-5 in league contests.
- Bronco Leaders: In MW games, Deanna Weaver led the team at 12.7 points (MW 10) and 4.6 rebounds per game, on the year she leads in the MW and is ranked 21st-nationally for 3-point percentage at .418 ... Brooke Pahukoa was second in scoring during conference averaging 10.9 ppg (MW 18), Miquelle Askew followed at 8.1 ppg ... Camille Redmon led on the glass at 7.4 rebounds per game (MW 5).
- Lady Rebel Leaders: In MW games, Danielle Miller led the team averaging 18.8 points (MW 2) and 4.4 rebounds per game, she led the league in scoring on the year at 18.5 ppg ... Alana Cesarz followed in league play at 14.7 ppg (MW 8) and team-high 7.3 rpg (MW 7) ... Aley Rohde added 8.2 ppg and 7.2 rpg (MW 8).
- Head-to-Head, Individuals: Brooke Pahukoa led Boise State averaging 15.5 ppg and 5.0 rpg followed by Deanna Weaver at 12.5 ppg and 4.0 rpg ... Danille Miller led UNLV averaging 19.0 ppg and 1.5 rpg, followed by Alana Cesarz at 18.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 71.2 points (MW t-2/NCAA t-50) and 70.4 ppg (MW t-2) during MW action ... Defensively, the Broncos are fifth in the league allowing 61.9 points per game and 64.4 points per game (MW 7) in conference play ... on the year the Broncos out score opponents by +9.2 (MW 2/NCAA 46) and +5.5 rebounds per game (MW 2/ NCAA 41).
- UNLV as a Team: Offensively, the Lady Rebels are averaging 71.2 points per game (MW t-2/ NCAA t-50) on the year and 70.4 ppg (MW t-2) in league play ... Defensively, they are allowing 72.0 ppg (MW 9) this season and 69.6 ppg (MW 9) during league games ... they are being out scored by -0.8 ppg and out rebound their opponents by +3.4 rpg on the year.
- Head-to-Head, Team: Boise State averaged 69 points and 44 rebounds per game compared to UNLV's 70.5 points and 35 rebounds ... the Broncos shot 37.9 percent from floor, 33.9 percent (19-of-56) from the arc and 73.1 percent (19-of-26) from the free-throw line ... UNLV countered at 38.6 percent from the floor, 31.4 percent (11-of-35) from beyond the arc and 77.8 percent (42-of-54) from the free-throw line.
- The Coaches: Kathy Olivier is in her seventh season as head coach at UNLV where she is 98-120, her career mark is 330-328 in 22 seasons. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 173-137 and 569-264 in his 28th season all-time.
- All-Time Record: This is the 11th meeting all-time between the Lady Rebels and Broncos with the series tied at 5-5.
- Current Streak: The Lady Rebels snapped a three-game losing to Boise State on Feb. 18 when they won 74-60 at Boise ... Boise State had swept UNLV last year and won the first meeting this year in Las Vegas (Jan. 14) prior to the loss.
- Series at Las Vegas: Strange enough, the visiting team leads the series on the opponent's home floor in both cases ... the Broncos lead the series in Las Vegas 4-2, but all six games have been played in Cox Pavilion.
- MW Series: UNLV leads the conference series 5-3 since Boise State joined the league for the 2011-12 campaign.
- Mountain West Conference: Boise State is 111-87 all-time against the current membership of the Mountain West; however, they are 32-32 against those schools in MW contests.
- Appearances: Boise State will be competing in its fourth Mountain West tournament this week when it takes the court against UNLV at 3:30 p.m. (Mountain) Tuesday afternoon.
- Record: Boise State is 1-3 in the MW championship tournament.
- 2012: The Broncos defeated Colorado State 68-63 before falling in the semifinals 51-50 to New Mexico.
- 2013: Boise State lost in the quarterfinals to Fresno State by a 72-55 score.
- 2014: The Broncos fell in the quarterfinals to Wyoming by the score of 61-56.
- The Broncos are 15-25 all-time in conference tournaments.
- 2007 WAC Champions: Boise State won the 2007 WAC Tournament championship at Las Cruces, N.M., the first and only title in program history.
- Championship Game Appearances: The Broncos have played in four conference tournament championship games going 1-3 in those contests.