Broncos to Face Colorado State at MW Tournament
Boise State's women's basketball team heads to Las Vegas, Nev., for the 2012 Mountain West Basketball Championship this Wednesday through Saturday (March 7-10) in the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV.
Boise State Heads to Las Vegas for 2012 Conoco Mountain West Basketball Championship What's Happening
Follow the Game(s)
- Boise State's women's basketball team heads to Las Vegas, Nev., for the 2012 Mountain West Basketball Championship this Wednesday through Saturday (March 7-10) in the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV.
- The Broncos (14-15, 5-9 MW) enter the tournament as the No. 6 seed and will face the No. 3 seeded Colorado State Rams (13-16, 9-5 MW) in the final quarterfinal on Wednesday night, tip is scheduled for 9:30 p.m. (Mountain).
- This is Boise State's first ever trip to the MW championship after joining the league this past July.
- Next Up For Boise State: If Boise State defeats CSU, the Broncos will play the winner of the third quarterfinal game between No. 2 UNLV (22-8, 10-4 MW) and No. 7 New Mexico (9-19, 3-11 MW) in the semifinals at 3:30 p.m. (Mountain) on Friday afternoon.
- TELEVISION: All of the games at the 2012 Conoco MW Basketball Championships will be televised. The women's quarterfinals and semifinals will be carried by the Mountain West Sports Network (The Mtn.), while the championship game will be on NBC Sports.
Direct TV (616)
Cable One (329)
Dish Network (NA)
Direct TV (603)
Cable One (326)
Dish Network (151)
- RADIO: All of the Broncos' games at the 2012 Conoco MW Basketball Championships will be carried live on the radio.
Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) Pregame Notes for Colorado State Contest
Talent: Chris King
Live Stats: TheMWC.com/2012
Live Internet Audio: BroncoSports.com
Boise State Versus Colorado State Series
- RECENTLY FOR BOISE STATE: Boise State closed the season splitting its final two contests, defeating Wyoming 61-53 (Feb. 25) in the home finale, followed by a 58-41 loss in the regular season finale at San Diego State (Feb. 29).
- BOISE STATE'S RECORD: The Broncos finished the regular season at 14-15 overall and 5-9 in conference, good for sixth-place.
- RECENTLY FOR CSU: The Rams finished the season winning one of its final four games. They split the final two upsetting San Diego State (Feb. 25) in Fort Collins 68-65, then lost 53-48 at UNLV to close the regular season (Feb. 29)
- COLORADO STATE'S RECORD: CSU finished the regular season going 13-16 overall and 9-5 in league, tied for third-place with TCU.
- BRONCOS AT HOME: The Broncos finished the year 10-7 overall and 3-4 in MW play at home in Taco Bell Arena bringing their all-time mark to 254-132 (65.8 pct.) and 145-81 (64.2 pct.) in conference games since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- BRONCOS ON THE ROAD: Boise State went 4-8 on the road this year, all on the opponents home court. The Broncos were 2-5 in conference games.
- THE RAMS ON THE ROAD: Colorado State went 3-13 away from Fort Collins this season, 3-11 on opponents' courts, 0-2 on neutral floors and 2-5 in MW games.
- LEADING THE BRONCOS: Boise State is led by Kati Isham fourth in MW averaging 14.5 points per game and Lauren Lenhardt who is seventh in MW at 13.8 ppg. They have combined for 41 percent of the Broncos' points per game. Lenhardt is fifth in the MW for scoring during league games at 15.4 ppg powered by five games with 20-plus points.
- LEADING THE RAMS: Kim Mestdagh leads CSU and ranks third in MW for scoring at 14.8 points per game, followed by Sam Martin who is ninth in MW at 13.5 ppg.
- COMPARING THE TEAMS: The game will feature Boise State's top-ranked scoring offense on the year at 68.2 points per game versus CSU's fifth ranked offense at 60.3 ppg. Defensively, the teams rank sixth and seventh with the Rams allowing 59.8 ppg to the Broncos' 67.1 ppg.
- PRESEASON POLL: Colorado State was picked to place third in the MW race, while Boise State was projected at eighth in this year's preseason poll (combined coaches and media poll).
- THE COACHES: Kristen Holt is 51-70 (42.1 ct.) in four years at CSU and 61-86 (41.5 pct.) in five years as a head coach, 2-0 versus Boise State. Gordy Presnell is in his seventh season at Boise State where he is 124-93 (57.1 pct.), 520-220 (.70.3 pct.) in 25 seasons all-time, and 0-2 versus the Rams.
What Happened in 2012 Between Boise State and CSU
- THE SERIES: Wednesday's encounter will be the third meeting of the season, third as conference rivals and fifth all-time in the series which is tied at 2-2.
- 2012 SERIES: The Rams won both meetings this year 60-52 in Boise (Jan. 17) and 67-58 in Fort Collins (Feb. 14).
- BRONCOS' WINS: Boise State won the only two meetings prior to this year 54-51 in Fort Collins (Dec. 18, 1989) and 87-68 in Boise (Nov. 29, 1991).
Boise State in Conference Tournaments
- THE SERIES: Both contests came down to the final three minutes of the game with CSU holding off Boise State each time for the win. Boise State averaged 55 points per game versus CSU's 63.5 ppg.
- GAME 1 - Jan. 17 in Boise: It was a three-point game with 1:40 to play, Rams out scored Broncos 7-2 the rest of the way to win 60-52. Kati Isham led Boise State with 18 points followed by Lauren Lenhardt with 17. Kim Mestdagh led CSU with 21 points and 10 rebounds, followed by Sam Martin with 19 points.
- GAME 2 - Feb. 14 in Fort Collins: The game was tied with 2:47 to play, a five-point play to break tie gave CSU momentum as it out scored Boise State 11-2 down the stretch to win 67-58. Nicole Brady led Broncos with 15 points followed by Kati Isham with 14. Kelly Hartig led CSU with 20 points followed by Kim Mestdagh with 18.
- BOISE STATE LEADERS: Three Broncos averaged double figure points versus the Rams led by Kati Isham at 12.4 points per game, followed by Nicole Brady at 10.4 ppg and Lauren Lenhardt at 10.1 ppg and team-best 6.9 rebounds per game.
- CSU LEADERS: Three Rams averaged double digit points against Boise State led by Kim Mestdagh at 19.5 points and team-high 8.5 rebounds per game. Sam Martin was next at 13.5 ppg followed by Kelly Hartig at 13 ppg.
- Boise State will be competing in its first Mountain West tournament this week when it takes the court against Colorado State.
- The Broncos are 14-22 all-time in conference tournaments.
- Boise State was 9-9 in the Western Athletic Conference Tournament in 10 years of membership.
- The Broncos have an active four-game losing streak in conference tournament games.
- 2007 WAC CHAMPIONS: Boise State won the 2007 WAC Tournament championship at Las Cruces, N.M., the first title in program history.
- TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCES: The Broncos have played in four conference tournament championship games going 1-3 in those contests.