Broncos Hosts SJSU on Senior Night
Boise State and San Jose State face off Friday in Boise with third place on the line.
March 3, 2016
San Jose State (13-15, 11-6 MW) at Boise State (18-10, 11-6 MW)
- Facts: Friday, March 4 | 7 p.m. (Mountain) | Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- Parking: Free parking is available in the Albertsons Stadium Parking Lots
- Admission: Adults: $6 | Senior Citizens (62 YOA): $4 | Youth: $4 | Boise State Students: Free with student ID card
- Promotions: "WHITE OUT" - all fans wearing white to the game will receive a three dollar ($3) ticket ... the first 400 fans will get a free Boise State women's basketball t-shirt.
- Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats | Twitter
- The Game: Boise State (18-10, 11-6 MW) closes the regular season with Senior Night this Friday against the San Jose State Spartans (13-15, 11-6 MW) at 7 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Big Game: This is game will feature the two teams tied for third in the league standings ... winner will finish third and be seeded third in next week’s MW Tournament, the loser will be fourth and seeded fourth, both get first round byes.
- Senior Night: Boise State will honor its three seniors Miquelle Askew, Lexie Der and Julia Dufurrena in a pregame ceremony.
- Promotion: “White Out,” everyone wearing white to the game will get in for three dollars ($3) and the first 400 fans will get a free women’s basketball t-shirt.
- Last Time They Met: SAN JOSE, Calif. (Jan. 20, 2016) - Miquelle Askew scored a school-record 39 points and grabbed a career-tying 13 rebounds as Boise State rallied from 13 points down in the first half to defeat San Jose State 78-75 ... Shalen Shaw added her sixth double-double in seven games on 21 points and 12 rebounds ... Askew and Shaw combined for 60 points and 25 rebounds in the victory to lead Boise State ... struggling from the outside early in the first half Boise State pushed the game inside where the Broncos dominated out scoring San Jose State 48-to-28 in the paint.
- Next Up: The Broncos will travel on Sunday to the Mountain West Championship Tournament in Las Vegas, Boise State has a bye on Monday and will start play Tuesday in the quarterfinals against a team to be determined.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
San Jose State | Friday, March 4 | Boise, Idaho
San Jose State Scouting Report
- Record: The Spartans are currently sitting tied for third with Boise State in the MW standings at 11-6 and are 13-15 overall ... they won seven of their last eight contests, most recently they won two home games 83-65 versus Utah State and 65-51 on Tuesday against Wyoming.
- Preseason Poll: The Spartans was picked to place eighth out of 11 teams in the preseason MW coaches’/media poll.
- SJSU Leaders: On the year, Dezz Ramos leads the Spartans averaging 18.2 points (2nd MW) and 4.0 assists (5th MW) ... Nyre Harris adds 10.3 points per game and 5.4 rebounds.
- San Jose State as a Team: On the year, SJSU averages 73.1 points (1st MW) per game and allows 73.3 (11th MW) ... San Jose State is shooting 39.2 percent (6th MW) from the floor, 32.1 percent (3rd MW) from 3-point range and 69.2 percent (5th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively, SJSU holds opponents to 39.9 percent (8th MW) from the floor and 32.9 percent (7th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Coaching Connection: The Spartans’ head coach Jamie Craighead was an assistant under Presnell at Seattle Pacific.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 18-10 overall and 11-6 in MW play, tied for third place ... they have won two straight 68-63 over San Diego State last Saturday and most recently 64-61 in overtime at Nevada on Tuesday.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 14.1 points (6th MW) and 5.1 rebounds (20th MW) per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 12.5 points (12th MW) and 4.9 rebounds per game ... Shalen Shaw averages 12.1 points (14th MW) and team-high 8.8 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 9.9 rebounds per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 68.4 points (3rd MW) per game on the year and is shooting 41.4 percent (2nd MW) from the floor, 33 percent (2nd MW) from the 3-point arc and 74.9 percent (2nd MW / 30th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 63.4 points per game (7th MW) on 39.4 percent (6th MW) shooting from the floor and 30.8 percent (t-5th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 28th meeting all-time between the two programs with the Broncos leading the series 16-11 overall and 3-1 in the MW regular-season series.
- In San Jose: The Spartans lead the series played in San Jose by a 7-6 margin ... the Broncos won there 78-75 on Jan. 20.
- In Boise: The Broncos lead when playing in Boise by a 7-4 advantage.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 125-94 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
- A Boise State has clinched a first round bye in next week’s MW Tournament ... the Broncos are guaranteed to finish either third or fourth in the league standings depending on Friday’s game with SJSU.
BRONCO QUICK HITS
- The Broncos defeated San Diego State last Saturday to snap a four-game losing streak.
- Boise State edge Nevada 64-61 in overtime on Tuesday in Reno for its second consecutive win.
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego led Boise State last week against UNLV and San Diego State averaging 16 points, and 6.5 assists per game, both team highs ... made a career-high five 3-pointers in win over SDSU helping her to team and season-high 20 points.
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego set three school records and tied another at Nevada (March 1): tied for most assists in game with 13, set single season record for assists with 157, third double-digit assists game this season and fourth in career are both records.
- Marta Hermida has led the Broncos in scoring over the last six games and is the only one averaging double-figure points in that span at 14.8 points per game to go with 5.2 rebounds, second best on team.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the team in scoring at 14.1 points per game, sixth in the MW.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW and is ranked 11th nationally for 3-point percentage at .429.
- Shalen Shaw has 10 double-doubles this season, the most recent coming this past Tuesday night at Nevada (March 1) with 14 points and 15 rebounds, both team highs ... her nine double-doubles in league play is a conference high.
- Shalen Shaw has recorded 10 or more rebounds in 12 of the last 18 games ... she ranks second in the MW on the year at 8.8 rebounds per game and first during league play at 9.9 rpg.
- Miquelle Askew is second on the team in scoring at 12.5 points per game (12th MW) ... she is currently ninth on the career scoring list with 1,250 points.
- Miquelle Askew is third on the team for rebounding at 4.9 rpg ... she now ranks 15th on the Boise State career list with 573 ... she needs 18 to move into a tie for 14th at 591.