Final Week Starts in Reno
Boise State starts the final week of the regular season on the road at Nevada Tuesday night.
Shalen Shaw will lead Broncos to her hometown Tuesday night.
Feb. 29, 2016
Boise State (17-10, 10-6 MW) at Nevada (5-22, 4-12 MW)
GAME PREVIEWNevada | Tuesday, March 1 | Reno, Nev.Nevada Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (17-10, 10-6 MW) closes the regular season with two games this week, beginning with a trip to Reno, Nev., for a Tuesday night encounter with the Nevada Wolf Pack at 7:30 p.m. (Mountain) in the Lawlor Events Center.
- Last Time They Met: BOISE, Idaho (Jan. 13, 2016) - Brooke Pahukoa scored 16 points to lead Boise State in a 66-58 win at home over Nevada ... it was a balanced offensive effort for Boise State as the five starters combined for all but five of the team’s points ... Marta Herimda added 15 points, Shalen Shaw and Miquelle Askew each tallied 11, while Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego scored eight ... Boise State led or was tied for all but 35 seconds of the game, the Wolf Pack’s only lead of the contest came early in the fourth quarter before the Broncos responded with a 10-0 run to take the lead for good.
- Next Up: The Broncos will return home for the regular season finale on Friday night at 7 p.m. when they host the San Jose State Spartans (12-15, 10-6 MW) in a battle for third place ... it will also be Senior Night.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Wolf Pack is currently sitting at 10th place in the MW standings at 4-12 and are 5-22 overall ... they have lost seven of their last eight games including road defeats at Utah State (70-55) and Colorado State (74-56) last week.
- Preseason Poll: The Wolf Pack was picked to place 10th out of 11 teams in the preseason MW coaches’/media poll.
- Nevada Leaders: On the year, Nyasha Lesure leads Nevada averaging 12.7 points (9th MW) and 6.1 rebounds (9th MW) per game, both team highs ... Stephanie Schmid adds 11.4 points (15th MW) per game.
- Nevada as a Team: On the year, the Wolf Pack averages 57.6 points (10th MW) per game and allows 68.1 (8th MW) ... Nevada is shooting 37 percent (9th MW) from the floor, 26.5 percent (10th MW) from 3-point range and 68 percent (6th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively, Nevada holds opponents to 42.5 percent (10th MW) from the floor and 30.3 percent (4th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 17-10 overall and 10-6 in MW play, tied for third place ... they snapped a four-game losing streak last Saturday with a 68-63 victory over San Diego State, snapping the Aztecs’ five-game win streak in the process.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 14.5 points (5th MW) and 5.1 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 12.6 points (11th MW) and 5.0 rebounds per game ... Shalen Shaw averages 12.0 points (14th MW) and team-high 8.6 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 9.6 rebounds per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 68.5 points (3rd MW) per game on the year and is shooting 42 percent (2nd MW) from the floor, 33.2 percent (2nd MW) from the 3-point arc and 75.2 percent (2nd MW / 25th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 63.5 points per game (7th MW) on 39.5 percent (7th MW) shooting from the floor and 31.2 percent (5th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
MW TOURNAMENT WATCH
- Record: This is the 51st meeting all-time between the two programs with the Broncos leading the series 35-15 overall and 5-1 in the MW regular-season series.
- Series Note: This is the longest rivalry for the Broncos in the MW dating back to 1987 and five different conferences.
- In Reno: Boise State leads the series played in Reno by a slim 13-11 margin.
- In Boise: The Broncos lead when playing in Boise by a dominating 21-4 advantage.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 124-94 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
BRONCO QUICK HITS
- A Boise State has clinched a first round bye in next week’s MW Tournament ... the Broncos are guaranteed to finish either third or fourth in the league standings depending on this week’s results.
BRONCOS ARE 25th IN NCAA
- The Broncos defeated San Diego State last Saturday to snap a four-game losing streak.
- The win thawed the February chill a little that had the Broncos struggling the previous three weeks shooting an icy 35.8 percent from the floor and 26.2 percent from beyond the arc.
- Last week against UNLV and San Diego State, Boise State found its shooting touch again hitting 44.6 percent (50-112) from the floor and 40.4 percent (21-52) from 3-point range ... 42 percent of the Broncos’ made field goals were from beyond the arc.
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego led Boise State last week against UNLV and San Diego State averaging 16 points, and 6.5 assists per game, both team highs ... made a career-high five 3-pointers in win over SDSU helping her to team and season-high 20 points.
- Marta Hermida has been on fire from 3-point range the last three contests hitting a team-high 12, five against both New Mexico and UNLV with two versus SDSU.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the team in scoring at 14.5 points per game, fifth in the MW.
- Brooke Pahukoa is ranked 10th nationally for 3-point percentage at .430.
- Shalen Shaw has nine double-doubles this season, the most recent coming in the loss to CSU (Feb. 10) with 11 points and 11 rebounds, both team highs ... her eight double-doubles in league play is a conference high.
- Shalen Shaw has recorded 10 or more rebounds in 11 of the last 17 games ... she ranks second in the MW on the year at 8.6 rebounds per game and first during league play at 9.6 rpg.
- Miquelle Askew is second on the team in scoring at 12.6 points per game (11th MW) ... she is currently ninth on the career scoring list with 1,240 points.
- Miquelle Askew is third on the team for rebounding at 5.0 rpg ... she now ranks 15th on the Boise State career list with 570 ... she needs 21 to move into a tie for 14th at 591.
PAHUKOA 10TH NATIONALLY FROM THE ARC
- As a team the Broncos are second in the MW and are ranked 25th in the nation for free throw percentage at .752.
- The Broncos are in range to set a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting .430 to rank 10th nationally.
- She has been ranked as high as second twice for 3-point percentage on Jan. 17th (49.4 pct.) and Feb. 2 (47.7 pct.).